Why become a member? ×

Is there a problem with Overwater at the moment?

Finbar

Does anyone know if Overwater are having a problem at the moment?

My mum ordered me some strings from them on the 15th December for Christmas (boring, I know, but we all need them!), and they never turned up. Although it was kind of annoying, we cut some slack what with it being Christmas, and she sent them an email in January asking what the score was. Apparently they'd been sent out, and a replacement set would be shipped. Weeks passed once again with no strings, and she has since asked about just getting a refund for it. That was weeks ago now, and the email has been left not responded to, or ignored. She told me she's given up on it as a lost cause, but that's totally unhip. I have since ordered a set of strings which arrived with no problems, so I know it isn't the shipping address that's at fault. I could really do with these strings as we're spending 3 weeks recording away from home with no access to new strings really for me in about a week's time. I've ordered a couple more sets in the meantime which I'm currently waiting on, but I could have done without it because times are very tight for me at the moment and £25 will actually go a long way for me. Let alone the fact that it's the principle of the thing!

Anyway, I fired off another email on Sunday enquiring about the whole thing, and again I've had no response. Is there a genuine problem here, or am I being ignored? Hell I'd even pay extra for recorded delivery to make totally sure I get them. I don't care, I just want what's been paid for really. I know how the post works, and the chance that those two packets sent out both got lost by Royal Mail is really unlikely, despite the bad rep RM gets, but even so it is possible. But that shouldn't explain why I'm getting no response? I will pick up the telephone tomorrow I think.

Edited by Finbar

I have infact seen that! I've had good experiences in the past though, so I was looking at that as a kind of one-off event. I really like their strings, the fact they're reasonably priced compared to just about everywhere else, and that I can actually buy 7 string sets in something approaching the gauges I want right off the shelf. Didn't get on with Newtone, so here I am.

[quote name='Shockwave' post='749085' date='Feb 17 2010, 10:55 PM']You might want to read about my own experiences trying to order strings from Overwater and why i wont order anything from them again :)

[url="http://basschat.co.uk/index.php?showtopic=35326&hl=overwater"]http://basschat.co.uk/index.php?showtopic=...mp;hl=overwater[/url][/quote]

ouch...not the best coupla threads to have floating around!

Rob, I'm glad yours got sorted, Finbar, I hope yours resolves itself asap :rolleyes:

I ordered some strings a few months back online and it did take a while to get them but that was ofset by the cost (£19 for a good set of string for a fiver is ace).

Can I make a suggestion, if you have not already done so, just give them a call dont keep sending emails waiting days for a possible response. I know they should be on their game with emails but I called when my strings were taking a bit long, quick 30 sec call very friendly and they arrived a day later.

They are always quick to pick up a call and they are so helpful and friendly whenever I have called and most of the time I speak to Chris May himself. Alternatively PM Bleedproof on here, I think he works for Overwater or at least has strong ties with them, he has answered some questions of mine before and sure he would help.

• 1 month later...

Okay, just to give an end to a story.

Took a good few ineffective phonecalls, and long waits, but the strings finally came.

Overwater sent one set down to the place I was staying at and recording in while I was there, which was good of them, and the other two sets turned up when I got home a couple of weeks later. They chucked a few spare B strings in for me too.

So overall, a bit messy, but they did come through... eventually. I bear no will to Overwater over this whole thing! I think they have been having problems as I'm ordering 7 string sets, which aren't so common. Don't want to put people off, as they're good strings :)

Edited by Finbar

[quote name='wateroftyne' post='790696' date='Mar 30 2010, 03:31 PM']Cool.

in the nicest possible way.. always phone first. Don't rely on email.[/quote]
I've had exchanges with them in the past about various things via email and they've always been prompt, so I'd never had the [i]need[/i] to ring them before. That was what seemed odd about the situation. They still never did say why they didn't reply to them. And I still think that's bad form.

But email was also never intended as the sole method of communication, I just happened to post this to see if anyone had had similar experience with them at the time, and the timing of that coincided with being before I got round to phoning them. It also wasn't me who ordered those strings in the first place - I took over from someone else who had been chasing them up, and the way they had chosen to pursue it is nothing to do with me.

It isn't a 'lesson learned' kind of thing.

Laurence has been ill recently and he deals with all the strings, not an excuse but I've never waited more than 2-3 days for my strings, even when ordering 10 packs.

Most I waited was 3 weeks when I ordered 10 packs of custom gauges that had to be made.

I recently received 6 packs of strings next day from them.

I can't rate them enough.

Edited by tayste_2000