Why become a member? ×

Notes as colours

arthurhenry

Yup that definitely sounds like synesthesia - a condition that involves the senses merging in varying ways. I think seeing sound as colours is one of the more common aspects of it (well, relatively speaking of course!). Very interesting subject IMO.

I believe I'm right in saying Miles Davis had it?

Edited by Huwberry

[quote name='arthurhenry' post='748297' date='Feb 17 2010, 12:23 PM']Do you see notes as colours? I've spoken to other musicians who do and some who don't have a clue what I'm on about!
For me:
E is yellow
F Grey
F# Sandy
G Green
G# Greeny turquoise
A Browny red
A# Dark grey
B Blue
C Green
C# Bluey turquoise
D Red
D# ?[/quote]

That is quite cool, to me anyway but at the same time i dont have it so it might be an annoying affliction.

If you wanna read about it then either check out synesthesia online or read Musicophilia - Oliver Sacks (great book)

No, not me. I think that form of synaesthesia's quite rare, compared to things like letters or numbers (or days of the week) having colours.

That said, I do get a sensation of different "tones" and "feelings" (bright, dark, happy, strident, etc.) from different chords and keys, which apparently not everyone has. In fact, I agree with Nigel Tufnel that D minor is the saddest of all keys. :) No, seriously. An A major chord's bright and open to me, whereas Eb major's kind of solemnly smug. D minor's really sad, but A minor's just wistful. Hard to describe, but really useful at times.

Chord extensions give me different sensations too (and usually combined with the associated feeling for the base chord too):
maj7 = light, open, floating
min7 = dense, thick, dark
sus = sparkling

[quote name='peted' post='748317' date='Feb 17 2010, 12:36 PM']I don't have a clue what you're on about :)[/quote]

I don't see a stream of colours when I'm playing or listening. It's just that each note has an inherent colour and as mentioned above, character for me. It dosn't bother me at all - it's "just there."

[quote name='arthurhenry' post='748323' date='Feb 17 2010, 12:39 PM']I don't see a stream of colours when I'm playing or listening. It's just that each note has an inherent colour and as mentioned above, character for me. It dosn't bother me at all - it's "just there."[/quote]

I think the non-synaesthesiacs like to imagine it to be much more of a psychadelic experience (at least, i know i do).
So long as it doesn't bother you though then that's good.

I still advise you read Musicophilia, it's a pretty damn good book (That goes for everyone)

funny you posted this - I dont see notes as colours but feel that they have a colour , if that makes sense, and G definitely feels green and E yellow but I feel A to be a stronger red. It only becomes apparent when I'm doing scales or listening to something in isolation so its not much use really :)

Edited by thunderbird13

[quote name='HMX' post='748484' date='Feb 17 2010, 02:23 PM']Interesting.

I don't see colours, but in my head I can see an ascending line or descending, depending on the direction of the bassline. If you get me. Probably not unusual.[/quote]

No I don;t see notes as colours. My band might say I don't see them as notes either :)

Edited by fatback

[quote name='BottomEndian' post='748316' date='Feb 17 2010, 12:35 PM']That said, I do get a sensation of different "tones" and "feelings" (bright, dark, happy, strident, etc.) from different chords and keys, which apparently not everyone has.[/quote]
Me too. Certain chords definitely have a character of their own.

Bm = Disappointed
CMaj = Thrifty
G7 = Impulsive yet strangely remorseful afterwards
A Aug = Roaring drunk on Schnapps
Dm7 = Bi-curious
F9 = Soulful, likes country walks and evenings in by the fire, would love to have kids

Edited by skankdelvar

I have always subconsciously thought of the notes as colours, like when I was first learning back in black on the guitar I thought of the chords as different colours. I don't think I have whatever this thing is though, it only ever works when I'm not thinking about it, but now that I know it exists, it will probably never happen again. Thanks.

I visualise notes as colours, but I can't actually see the colours.
Instruments have colours also, havent done it for a while but when I used to map out tracks when recording onto a computer, each instrument track had a designated colour that had to be my way. If it was different, I'd swear it would sound wrong.
I never mention this to people as it just makes me look mad. (probably explains why Ive never owned a bass or a guitar that isnt red or sunburst.)
With drum rhythms I can draw the patterns on paper as well, couldnt tell you what the time signature is but I can draw a scrawly picture of it!

[quote name='arthurhenry' post='748297' date='Feb 17 2010, 12:23 PM']Do you see notes as colours? I've spoken to other musicians who do and some who don't have a clue what I'm on about!
For me:
E is yellow
F Grey
F# Sandy
G Green
G# Greeny turquoise
A Browny red
A# Dark grey
B Blue
C Green
C# Bluey turquoise
D Red
D# ?[/quote]
Fabulous! Does this also mean you have perfect pitch?

[quote name='silddx' post='748623' date='Feb 17 2010, 04:26 PM']Fabulous! Does this also mean you have perfect pitch?[/quote]
you beat me to it.

i'm trying to 'learn' perfect pitch at the moment. some people say it can't be done, others disagree.

i have a friend with synaesthesia. he sees shapes when tasting. he makes wonderful beer.