Why become a member? ×

Good small combo?

fretmeister

I am selling the Rig of Doom off bit by bit and was going to keep my Ampeg Preamp, Yammie Power amp and a Hartke 2x12... but I also want to consider getting rid of the lot and replacing with a good quality combo.

The Mark Bass 2x10 has caught my eye - but what else should I be looking at?

My basses are both Statii - 1 fretted and 1 fretless. I play rock, blues, swing and some chordal bass stuff.

I suppose if I got rid of everything I could use about £700.00 or so - maybe a little bit more. New or used is fine, and a small head and cab is also fine to consider.

Small, powerful and lightweight!

Any ideas?

I'm in the Northampton area so hopefully I can find somewhere reasonably close to try any suggestions. There aren't many good music shops round here.

ta

[quote name='fretmeister' post='82277' date='Nov 1 2007, 02:17 PM']My basses are both Statii - 1 fretted and 1 fretless. I play rock, blues, swing and some chordal bass stuff.[/quote]

They are actually Statuses (fourth declension noun) :)

I have a Eden Nemesis RC410 which is really really good - check out my review in the review section, but as G-bitch points out, it's not uber light. Depending on where you are in Northants it might only be a short drive over to me if you ever fancied trying it out, as finding one in this country to try out is near impossible. Feel free to PM if you fancy it! I've also got a Ampeg BA115HP if you wanted to try that too.

Cheers

Steve

I can heartily recommend the MarkBass CMD121H covered [url="http://basschat.co.uk/index.php?showtopic=5484"]HERE[/url].

Incredibly light, but a good solid sound and plenty loud enough for rehearsal / pub gigs in a "classic rock covers" situation even on its own.

Edited by WalMan

MarkBass Little Mark II => Epifani UL-110 (or for slightly more meat UL-112)

This was my lightweight solution. Although I tend to use my EBS MicroBass as my preamp, the Mark Bass head is really good, and I love the ideas of filters. Very useable. The Epifani is great for such a small thing, obviously slight lacking in lows but can really fill up a rehearsal room. It is more than enough in a pure backline role. I can carry this setup + bass on the London Underground during rush hour.

EA iAMP200 - until recently was all I used, small, light and big sound for the size - only reason for changing was I wanted valves :)

I've still got the combo though a mate of mine has first refusal on it, but if that doesn't happen it may well be up for sale, PM if your interested....

mmm

That Mark Bass 1x12 interests me greatly! (I really like 12 inch cones on bass - used them for years).

I was used to carrying about 2 full size heads and 2 of the monster Marshall 4x12 bass cabs (to me I still think they take some beating at any price), 2 basses so it would be a real shock to be able to do 1 trip from the car!! I was used to 4 or 5 trips!

I think there is a Mark Bass dealer in bedford (I work in Kempston) so I might have to nip over there at lunch time next week. Bring my bass in and have a go.

Paul_C from this forum has a Little Mark 2 into a Accugroove cab (not sure which one) which sounds great - but the Accugroove stuff is mondo expensive.

If the little MB 1x12 meets requirements I would even be able to sell my usual at home practice combo! (a Roland Cube 30 - awesome little thing)

Thanks chaps

[quote name='G-bitch' post='82302' date='Nov 1 2007, 02:48 PM']Mesa stuff is just too pricey to provide any VFM outside of the US (usual caveat about used gear though...). The Eden Nemesis line gets good write ups although not heavy, they aren't exactly like EA/Markbass from what I can gather.[/quote]

Yeah, well pricey and not vfm full price. But I got mine (secondhand of course) for a price I felt was very competative with anything else around, with factory tags and not so much of a scuff.

[quote name='odub' post='82280' date='Nov 1 2007, 02:23 PM']Mesa Boogie Walkabout[/quote]

Absolutely +1......

For kinda music you play, you will be hard pushed to find a better combo.... the price you mention will get you one 2nd hand (as I did) and you will not be dissapointed.....

As for the VFM comment above, why are folks willling to pay lots of money for the bass and then only 2 bob on an amp?

Its like buying an F1 car and running it on budget tyres from Quick-Fit........