Why become a member? ×

Best Slap Bass Groove

BigWhite

Ok I've looked around the web at "Best slap line" type of forums etc and they all seem to have players saying the same old Tommy The Cat, Teen Town or some other crazy slap line. I really want to see what other players think the best slap groove is. The general ideas I have are tracks like Maxwell - sumthin sumthin, Jocelyn Brown - Somebody Elses Guy, Don Blackman - Heart's Desire or even Scofield - Blue Matter. What does everybody think?

'Forget me nots' by Patrice Rushen. 'Ready' Freddie Washington grooving like
nobody's business.
'Thank You(Falettinme be mice elf again)' by Sly and the Family Stone. Larry Graham

oh...and 'Hair' by Graham Central Station.

Them 3 are sweeeet grooves.

Marcus Miler as a sideman does it ..

Off the top of my head, his live work with Miles Davis and studio stuff with Luther Vandross are places to start. Basically gets aways from the solo pyro player as that came later
The Vandross stuff pretty well spawned a Marcus Miller style used by loads of artists...and other seesion guys like Tom Barney built a career aping his Grooves..IMV

[quote name='JTUK' post='746838' date='Feb 16 2010, 08:16 AM']Marcus Miler as a sideman does it ..

Off the top of my head, his live work with Miles Davis and studio stuff with Luther Vandross are places to start. Basically gets aways from the solo pyro player as that came later
The Vandross stuff pretty well spawned a Marcus Miller style used by loads of artists...and other seesion guys like Tom Barney built a career aping his Grooves..IMV[/quote]

This one gets my vote...

[quote name='lowdown' post='747157' date='Feb 16 2010, 12:57 PM']Not sure what the best slap groove is.
But Louis Johnson on 'Aint we Funkin now' is a great groove.
A greasy funky 70's Stingray in all it's glory....

And as someone above said...all that Marcus stuff from LV.

Garry[/quote]
Loving the Brothers Johnson - been really digging 'Stomp!' recently. Massive tune.

On a similar note, one of my favourites is Louis Johnson's line in 'Get on the Floor'

[quote name='Huwberry' post='747211' date='Feb 16 2010, 01:44 PM']Loving the Brothers Johnson - been really digging 'Stomp!' recently. Massive tune.

On a similar note, one of my favourites is Louis Johnson's line in 'Get on the Floor'

[/quote]

Yep, he is right on the nail with that groove.And another great Quincy Jones production.

Garry