Why become a member? ×

bass overdrive pedals

Bay Splayer

have been offered a BOSS ME-50B for a good price, am not much into effects but occasionally use a bit of overdrive.

have heard that with some overdrive pedals you can lose some bottom end and with others you dont

would be grateful for any opinions on this pedal and any suggestions on overdrive pedals that do or do not lose bottom end

cheers

mark

Hi Mark. I use an Ibanez Pd-7 and love the tone.Very full IMO. Messed about with the Me 50B and found it ok.I do know some players who find it slow to change patchs though. If you are getting one sub £80 I'd take it. Its only about £120ish new.

Edited by Mog

[quote name='Bay Splayer' post='745091' date='Feb 14 2010, 07:34 PM']have been offered a BOSS ME-50B for a good price, am not much into effects but occasionally use a bit of overdrive.

have heard that with some overdrive pedals you can lose some bottom end and with others you dont

would be grateful for any opinions on this pedal and any suggestions on overdrive pedals that do or do not lose bottom end

cheers

mark[/quote]
Electro Harmonix Bass Blogger - got mine for £55 last year, does the trick for me. :)

I highly recommend the Xotic Bass BB Preamp. Great overdrive with no loss of bottom end at all...And what a coincidence, I'm selling mine becuase I'm not using it nowadays.
See here:

[url="http://basschat.co.uk/index.php?showtopic=76872"]http://basschat.co.uk/index.php?showtopic=76872[/url]

Edited by PauBass

I haven't tried the Ashdown Lomenzo Hyperdrive myself, but listened to a mate use it, he didn't seem to lose too much low end.

The pedal is meant to mainly distort the midrange, adding some growl but leaving the bass relatively untouched. I think.

I have the Lomenzo and the Ibanez Phathead, and they're both great pedals.
If you can find a PD7 for less than £40 then I'd say go for it. I'm possibly selling mine so if you do decide thats what you want then hit me up. Check the Ibanez demo's on their website, they're pretty good.
Also well worth considering is the Boss Metal Zone, a guitarists pedal but it has onboard EQ so you can tweak as much as you like without losing the bottom.

I also have the Digitech bass driver which has a really sensitive blend setting which also works a treat. They also have great demos on their website.