Why become a member? ×

Skinny Necks?

BigAlonBass

[quote name='BigAlonBass' post='82011' date='Nov 1 2007, 12:13 AM']The thinner the better as far as I'm concerned, so I have a chance of reaching all the frets in my dotage! :)
All comments welcomed.[/quote]
I'd mentioned Sei in an earlier post - if you're at UK Bass Day, I'll have a flamboyant 5 just across the road and you're more than welcome to try it.

[quote name='lozbass' post='82353' date='Nov 1 2007, 04:05 PM']I find 32" or 33" a good compromise and there's a noticeable reduction is stretching.[/quote]
The Daisy Rock I have coming in for my daughter's xmas pressie is a 32" scale and Daisy rocks all seem to have skinny necks. Don't know if you'd care for the "Clares accessories" styling though. :)

[quote name='cetera' post='82152' date='Nov 1 2007, 10:55 AM']Fender Geddy Lee Jazz or Cort Curbow...[/quote]

+1 on the Geddy Lee, a neck so stupidly thin that it should not be able to sustain the stress of the strings across it :) .
Good luck
Chris

[quote name='MacDaddy' post='82395' date='Nov 1 2007, 05:31 PM']Forget the name, but the basses that were around in the 60's and are a tear drop shape, have an exceedingly slim neck.[/quote]

Vox. I had one of these (a Vox Wyman) and it was pretty horrible, short scale and sounded dreadful. Hofner Violin bass has a pretty slender neck too, and there are loads of reasonable copies of this around - I saw a very nicely turned out Jay Turser in a local music shop for less than 200 quid.

I have a Precision with a Jazz neck on it, which is one option - you can probably find a Jazz neck and it fitted to your existing bass if you're happy with the sound.
Some of the Japanese Arias from the early 1980s had very slim necks too. My RSB special is like this, though it's not quite as slim as a jazz.

Technique helps. I've got small hands too, and I find it's much easier to put my thumb on the back of the neck than to try and rest the neck in the space between thumb and first finger.

[quote name='pete.young' post='85450' date='Nov 8 2007, 01:52 PM']Technique helps. I've got small hands too, and I find it's much easier to put my thumb on the back of the neck than to try and rest the neck in the space between thumb and first finger.[/quote]

Unfortunately, that's one option out of the window for me! :) The lump of metal that they stuck into my thumb means I can't play like that anymore-it won't bend! :huh:

Thanks for all the help, guys. I'm in the process of sorting something out with a couple of friendly Bass-builders round this neck of the woods. Not full-time Luthiers, I hasten to add (I'm not made of money!) but lads who know what they're doing, and what I can cope with now. Fingers crossed! :huh: