Why become a member? ×

2x10 Combos

crumpet_tramp

How long is a piece of string? :)

What style of music do you play?
What sort of sound are you after?
Gig sizes?

Probably discount the Laney based on what I've heard about them but it might be right for you! Just remember, the opinions you get here are probably biased towards what we all like and your opinion may be different!! (I personally wouldn't have any of them, I'd try to track down a Trace or an Eden Nemesis combo 2nd hand instead) If you can, go try them all...

MAG Review here

[url="http://basschat.co.uk/index.php?showtopic=5855"]<a href="http://basschat.co.uk/index.php?showtopic=5855" target="_blank">http://basschat.co.uk/index.php?showtopic=5855[/url]</a>

I've got the mag and i would say it is very similar to the Laney, Laney sound bright, or at least the ones i have had do.

The Marshall MB4210 is an unknown at the mo as its just come out but if i was buying now i would probably go for it

I am selling my MAG combo at the mo

Edited by sk8

From past experiences I've found Laney gear to be good VFM. It punches well above it's weight 'within its own field', it's never going to match gear costing twice as much but I'd give them all a try and judge for yourself. In that price bracket most large music store will probably stock at least 2 out of the 3.

[quote name='crumpet_tramp' post='81710' date='Oct 31 2007, 01:18 PM']Cheers I am probably going for the marshall cos it has the EC38 in there!

Gig sizes would be a maximum of 200

I play punk-ska

Although...Has any seen or heard a place to get marshall jubilee heads

all i really want is the sleeve but the actual head would be nice![/quote]
Be the first one on here to get the Marshall and you can tell us all what it's like :)

Back in 1988 I had a Marshall Jubilee head and a Jubilee 4x10 cab. It was a 200w head and it sounded ok, just ok. I had come from owning a Mc Gregor 200w bass head with HH 2x15" cab which at the time I thought sounded great, this is what I started with, to then owning a Peavey Combo 300, which looking back was brilliant. I then tried the Jubilee head thrigh a Peavey 1820 cab, 1x18" with 2x10" speakers, not good, and it weighed about 150lb!
The Marshall Jubilee head was, looking back , weedy, lacking in bottom, lacking in mids and had clanky harsh highs and this was using a JD Mark King.
Maybe using different cabs and a passive bass would have a different effect.

Dude, for punk/ska I would've thought that something like a Gallien-Krueger combo would be ideal given their reputation for really cutting through live and 'loudness'. For the sake of saving up a couple of hundred quid more, it ain't worth skimping as if you want to make it into a bigger rig later you can just add a cabinet to a quality combo for a great stack, but you may well find that you want something better, sooner. Choose well and buy once so that you don't end up selling it in 6 months because it doesn't cut the mustard live (is this why you're looking to replace the Lany?).

*Edit, just noticed you DBS question - that would probably be a very good move for you. The power sections in those heads are phenomenal, capable of peaks up to 10 times the rated wattage - result is that you don't run out of headroom as easily like many other SS amps, it really is designed totally for a bass guitar signal. GK have a similar reputation, hence my previous suggestion.

Edited by G-bitch

Cheers man! I'l probable research the DBS and wait until one comes up on here teh ebay. I wanted to stay with marshall and try and build up a good looing rig! i had been look at GK but i preffer the marshall in terms of looks and their reputation.

The other reason i was looking at a combo is because i need a cobo for band practises. I have to take a range-rover out every time at the mo cos of the 4x10 and to solvce this i thought i would get a decent combo.

I am only going to sell the Laney as it doesn't look as good as the marshall amp with my cab, in terms of sound it's awesome. It's the first head i ever bought so i was just wanted any head!

New Wishlist then!:

Marshall DBS200
Marshall MB150 (the new one)
[i]or[/i]
Marshall Bass state 150 (the old one)

please could someone post comments on the two 150 watt combos!

Edited by crumpet_tramp