Why become a member? ×

Pearl Jam- /Even Flow

TommyK

[quote name='bilbo230763' post='741073' date='Feb 10 2010, 02:42 PM']Sliding harmonics on a fretless is easy. Don't know this tune so can't comment on the specifics.[/quote]
I don't know the tune either, but nothing's easy if you don't know how to do it!

Method 1: Play the harmonic normally, then press the string down at that position and slide. If you do it nice and smoothly, you'll keep the harmonic sounding as you press down. Just make sure it doesn't turn into a hammer-on!

Method 2: Use artificial harmonics, frett(less)ing the fundamental note with the left hand and simultaneously stopping the string at the harmonic position [i]and[/i] plucking with the right hand. Then slide! For example, if you "fret" with the left hand at the 5th position, the octave harmonic can be generated with a finger of your right hand over the 17th "fret", and all the other harmonics spread out from there in the normal way.

Method 1 is easy-peasy lemon-squeezy (but requires the harmonic to be one of the open-string harmonics!). Method 2 is more flexible and less likely to get fluffed by an inadvertent hammer-on, but takes more practice.

Edited by BottomEndian

[quote name='bilbo230763' post='741073' date='Feb 10 2010, 02:42 PM']Sliding harmonics on a fretless is easy. Don't know this tune so can't comment on the specifics.[/quote]

Aha.. Mr Ament is a keen advocate of the fretless bass, so this might explain it!

Is it possible to do it on a fretted?

Youtube's favourite Swiss maestro seems to be doing so here: [url="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7sjsUHujB44&feature=related"]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7sjsUHujB44...feature=related[/url]

Just can't figure out how???

[quote name='TommyK' post='741086' date='Feb 10 2010, 02:54 PM']Aha.. Mr Ament is a keen advocate of the fretless bass, so this might explain it!

Is it possible to do it on a fretted?

Youtube's favourite Swiss maestro seems to be doing so here: [url="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7sjsUHujB44&feature=related"]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7sjsUHujB44...feature=related[/url]

Just can't figure out how???[/quote]

Can't view the link but, as far as I am aware, no, it can't be done on a fretted (although you could bend it) . But I am willing to be proven wrong.

[quote name='BottomEndian' post='741083' date='Feb 10 2010, 02:52 PM']I don't know the tune either, but nothing's easy if you don't know how to do it!

Method 1: Play the harmonic normally, then press the string down at that position and slide. If you do it nice and smoothly, you'll keep the harmonic sounding as you press down. Just make sure it doesn't turn into a hammer-on!

Method 2: Use artificial harmonics, frett(less)ing the fundamental note with the left hand and simultaneously stopping the string at the harmonic position [i]and[/i] plucking with the right hand. Then slide! For example, if you "fret" with the left hand at the 5th position, the octave harmonic can be generated with a finger of your right hand over the 17th "fret", and all the other harmonics spread out from there in the normal way.

Method 1 is easy-peasy lemon-squeezy (but requires the harmonic to be one of the open-string harmonics!). Method 2 is more flexible and less likely to get fluffed by an inadvertent hammer-on, but takes more practice.[/quote]

Many thanks everyone, esp..BottomEndian.

Methods 1 & 3 work just fine!

Will practice method 2 for homework!!! :)

[quote name='TommyK' post='741086' date='Feb 10 2010, 02:54 PM']Is it possible to do it on a fretted?[/quote]
I've never managed it, but I've just had a look over on Talkbass and there's many a p***ing contest. Plenty of people say they can, and plenty of people say it can't be done. If there's any consensus, it's that you need a well set-up bass with a good fret job to even come close.

[quote name='TommyK' post='741095' date='Feb 10 2010, 03:03 PM']Will practice method 2 for homework!!! :)[/quote]
Well, having now heard the tune, I can say you don't need it for Even Flow. Phew. :rolleyes: It's good fun, though.

[size=1]P.S. I'm sh*t at it. :ph34r:[/size]

[quote name='TommyK' post='741086' date='Feb 10 2010, 02:54 PM']Is it possible to do it on a fretted?[/quote]

Sliding harmonics on a fretted bass are absolutely possible - I first saw it on a Stu Hamm instructional video years ago.

Not the easiest thing to explain through text, but here goes...

1. Play a harmonic on the G string (I find the 4th and 5th frets work best for sliding harmonics, but that might just be my bass)
2. While the harmonic is still ringing, press your finger down directly onto the fret wire - the harmonic should still be ringing out.
3. Slide in the desired direction while still maintaining the pressure with your fretting hand

I'm aware this isn't ideal, I'll try and make a video at some point to try and give a clearer explanation/demonstration.

Tom