Why become a member? ×

Feedback for trevthebass

sockdeluxe_mikey

Hi all!

Trevor bought my Fender Marcus Miller Jazz bass off me a little under a week ago - unfortunately, I feel that the transaction could have gone smoother and I will avail to explain why.

On the phone, he seemed very kind and we agreed the selling price which I knocked down by 10 pounds to compensate for his petrol and, true to his word, he came and on time and with money. However, he had brought with him 20 pounds short of the price we agreed as he said he had a problem with drawing out so much cash on one go. I then told him that he must transfer to me the extra 20 pounds via PayPal within 24 hours (which I wasn't 100% oomfortable with) and he said he would do as agreed.

The next day, he sent me a text saying that the neck volume was crackling a little and that he asked 'what I thought about it'. As sympathetic as I was, I told him that it was (truthfully) fine when it left my hands and I didn't hear such a thing when I checked the bass over before sale. It *had* been crackling a few months earlier, but when I went to my local guitar shop in Worthing the tech guy popped the scratchplate open for 10 mins and got a bit of WD40 round there, which fixed the problem straight away. This was my no.1 bass for years, and it hardly ever sat being used, which is why I'm surprised there is some pot crackle, especially after I tested it thoroughly. I firmly said to him he still needed to transfer me the extra 20 pounds that same day, as I felt this kind of thing was a no cost repair.

Much later in the evening, he called me to finally say that he would be transferring the 20 pounds that evening and again, true to his word, I got an e-mail from PayPal to authorize the transaction which is on its way into my account as I type. As you can appreciate, I am sorry if has found a problem and I can appreciate that sometimes something like pot crackle is intermittent BUT I was not aware of anything beforehand (I tried the instrument on a few different amps), and I did not appreciate the fact that he was using this to suggest witholding the extra 20 pounds.

Today, a few days after the sale, I discovered an advert for my bass on Basschat (about 90% copied from my advert WITHOUT permission INCLUDING pictures) offering more money than I sold it for. By itself, I don't have a problem with that kind of thing at all, if that was what he intending to do, but I wasn't happy that he had also included small fabrications I knew were untrue, such as the fact he justified the higher price with having to pay for petrol in the original sale which I had discounted him in the first place!!! Needless for say the advert is now taken down. He even sent me a text saying he specifically wouldn't have paid me the 20 pounds if he'd known there was pot crackle because he couldn't get rid of it, which is ludicrous as the price we agreed on was VERY good and, even if there were a problem, and it costs NOTHING to clean a pot, let alone 20 pounds!

This is not intended as a 'dirt dishing' exercise, but I just wanted to put down in writing that although he did end up giving me all of my money, he did not act completely truthfully (he said on the phone he 'wasn't a reseller' :) ) and it felt like he was using dishonesty to get my bass for a lesser price so he could maximise on profit. I had that Fender for nearly 5 years, and it was quite a difficult bass to sell as my heart was still in it a little when I let it go, so I was disappointed with Trevor that he was trying to use petty reasons to short change me out of petty money for a bass I was very sad to let go.

P.S I hope to be able to post on Basschat a lot more, and not with such negative postings as this!

[quote name='ped' post='740267' date='Feb 9 2010, 06:58 PM']Sorry to hear this mate - it seems several people have had trouble with this member, and after the language he used in contact with a moderator I am going to put his posts on moderator approval for the time being.

ped[/quote]

Thank you very much - duly appreciated :) as mentioned, I intend to post more prolifically soon as it's a great forum.

I speak as I find and its a real shame that you had a problem when dealing with Trevor.

However since this is a feedback thread for Trevor I should just like to state that I swapped basses with Trevor with some cash my way about 12 months ago and I had no problem whatsoever and found him pleasant and easy to deal with although occasionally a little hard to get hold of.

Other people may have other experiences and I appreciate that but mine was not bad at all.

Steve

I completely agree with you that it is a feedback thread, and not 'dirt dishing' - the thing is fundamentally quite a bit of the transaction was sound and if there hadn't been the silly little niggles that had happened then it would have been just as smooth an experience as yours. Interestingly enough, I found him no problem to get hold of even when the sale started getting a little controversial.

Is that your racing green/creme Alleva-Coppola in your display picture by the way? Such a unique looking bass...

[quote name='birdy' post='741958' date='Feb 11 2010, 12:34 PM']I speak as I find and its a real shame that you had a problem when dealing with Trevor.

However since this is a feedback thread for Trevor I should just like to state that I swapped basses with Trevor with some cash my way about 12 months ago and I had no problem whatsoever and found him pleasant and easy to deal with although occasionally a little hard to get hold of.

Other people may have other experiences and I appreciate that but mine was not bad at all.

Steve[/quote]

[quote name='sockdeluxe_mikey' post='743038' date='Feb 12 2010, 01:17 PM']I completely agree with you that it is a feedback thread, and not 'dirt dishing' - the thing is fundamentally quite a bit of the transaction was sound and if there hadn't been the silly little niggles that had happened then it would have been just as smooth an experience as yours. Interestingly enough, I found him no problem to get hold of even when the sale started getting a little controversial.

Is that your racing green/creme Alleva-Coppola in your display picture by the way? Such a unique looking bass...[/quote]

To be fair there are other negative experiences that people have had so people can make their own minds up anyway :-) I knew you were not dirt dishing so no problems there.

Yes the racing green/creme Alleva is mine, its a great bass and always gets comments from the crowd when we play!!

Cheers,

Steve

I have a slightly worrying addition to make to Trevthebass' feedback...he text messaged me this evening with this:

[b]"[/b]You f***ed me up on b chat and sold me a bass with f***ed jack and pots you little p****.[b]"[/b]

I have NO clue what he his talking about with the jack, and the pots we have already discussed. I sent him a message back saying:

[b]"[/b]That will go on your basschat feedback thread. Please dont make it any worse with bad language, trying to guilt me or anything else of the sort! A lot of people are not happy with you![b]"[/b]

I then got this as a response...

[b]"[/b]Like who you silly c*** you tried makin it like i wernt going to pay £20 wrong. I have sold loads of stuff on bass chat you got no respect where do you live about ive f***ed people over[b]"
[/b]

I told him that if he does not retract his statement, that I will report him to the police for harassment. This is COMPLETELY unacceptable, and I have found yet more threads today of him very recently messing people around. I suggest this thread to be used to build up all of the bad stories possible, so that a complete picture can be made here, as I have seen others today of quite a recent nature. I will post what I find.

[url="http://basschat.co.uk/index.php?showtopic=76943&hl=Trevthebass"]http://basschat.co.uk/index.php?showtopic=...;hl=Trevthebass[/url] . I heard that that the cheque this guy sent may have been cashed by Trevor and is now currently trying to get the money back..NOT 100% sure on this.

[url="http://basschat.co.uk/index.php?showtopic=76259"]http://basschat.co.uk/index.php?showtopic=76259[/url] . This thread also sounds about right, along the same lines as mine.

[url="http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/Marcus-Miller-Vintage-White-Custom_W0QQitemZ220555273448QQcmdZViewItemQQptZUK_Musical_Instruments_Guitars_CV?hash=item335a1e64e8"]http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/Marcus-Miller-Vintag...=item335a1e64e8[/url] . An eBay auction for my bass, using my original images AGAIN (like on Basschat) and adapted text from my original listing. I have reported this to eBay and will repeat to do so until something is done.

I have made ped aware of these new developments via PM.

Edited by sockdeluxe_mikey

Well this is afeedback thread so here goes;

I bought a bass off him about a year ago, and found him nothing but happy, polite, and overall a really, really nice bloke.
He knocked £20 off the asking price of a bass for me, and as I was going to pick it up he waited for me at the station to make it easier for me to find his place and then we sat and played bass and talked for ages. He made me coffee and I asked him about the bass-work he'd been doing and how could I possibly get into it, and he was extremely helpful and a really good laugh too.

I just took him as a lovely guy, and would happily go for a beer with him anytime. :)

hi all
i would just like to say trevor is my brother yes i agree he should have put more effort into hes selling .But in regards to the marcus miller jazz. I see this bass on hes table totally striped and cleaned and totally set up with a brand new set of drs he spent hrs on it as it was such a dog when he went to pick it up .He did not like it really but did not feel it was fair to go back on the deal .He did not intend to sell this bass on but something come up which forced him to do so.But surly he should not lose out on the deal he was just getting hes costs back . .and im also sure he sent the£20 via paypal to you within 24 hrs .anyway just thought i would point this out .and i also think anyone who as delt with trevthebass and had a good deal should help out as some have done already .

Edited by ian

He did send me the remaining money within 24 hrs, this is affirmative, and the deal as a *whole* was not sour which is why it is a shame it went how it did, and I feel disappointed.

But I will highlight one thing - if he didn't actually want to [b]buy[/b] it, then he should not have [b]bought[/b] it, and as far as I was concerned he was completely in for the purchase. I then could have sold the bass to somebody else who *did* want it, and to be frank I take slight offence to the fact both of you think it was 'such a dog', when as a matter of fact (as I have highlighted numerous times) this bass meant (and means) a GREAT deal to me. Just because the strings were old and I like my action reasonably high does not mean the bass was/is a 'dog' and I really hope both of you can come to understand this - furthermore, I also did not appreciate being sworn at and threatened by your brother at all. Thanks for your post.

[quote name='ian' post='744350' date='Feb 13 2010, 09:53 PM']hi all
i would just like to say trevor is my brother yes i agree he should have put more effort into hes selling .But in regards to the marcus miller jazz. I see this bass on hes table totally striped and cleaned and totally set up with a brand new set of drs he spent hrs on it as it was such a dog when he went to pick it up .He did not like it really but did not feel it was fair to go back on the deal .He did not intend to sell this bass on but something come up which forced him to do so.But surly he should not lose out on the deal he was just getting hes costs back . .and im also sure he sent the£20 via paypal to you within 24 hrs .anyway just thought i would point this out .and i also think anyone who as delt with trevthebass and had a good deal should help out as some have done already .[/quote]

what im saying is when he come to play the bass i dont think he was mad on it but did not think it was right to back out of the deal .but your right he should not of sworn at you neither anyway i hope everything works out for you have a great night

Edited by ian

In that case, if he genuinely felt like that then that was in some small part a 'noble' thing to do - I am already thrilled to bits with my new bass, and still grateful for the speediness of the original transaction. I just hope he learns a few lessons from this and other transactions, such as if he was not 100% sure with the bass at the time then it was probably best to walk away there and then, and to be a lot more careful with duplicating original advertisments without the original owner's consent (which he unfortunately did on his Basschat advertisment, and on his current eBay auction of my bass - and in both cases excluding the information and pictures I originally included describing the true condition of the bass).

Thanks again Ian for your post, has been some consolation :) and I hope he does not feel I have tried to purposefully antagonise him.
[quote name='ian' post='744374' date='Feb 13 2010, 11:04 PM']what im saying is when he come to play the bass i dont think he was mad on it but did not think it was right to back out of the deal .but your right he should not of sworn at you neither anyway i hope everything works out for you have a great night[/quote]

I haven't actually bought or sold anything from/to Trev but we've spoken a few times about various possible trades and he's always been very straight with me and, which is a good thing, given me a few smiles along the way.

I did help him out on one sale he'd listed by finding some photos of the bass he had up for sale when he was unable to get his own photos. He couldn't have been more friendly and grateful when his bass sold.

He might have been a bit 'rough around the edges' but I've always found this quite endearing (Trev - if you read this then it's meant as a compliment!).

Anyway - just felt that I should add this as it's a feedback post for Trev and my 'relationship' with him here has always been positive.

[quote name='ian' post='744374' date='Feb 13 2010, 11:04 PM']what im saying is when he come to play the bass i dont think he was mad on it but did not think it was right to back out of the deal .but your right he should not of sworn at you neither anyway i hope everything works out for you have a great night[/quote]

Maybe you could tell your brother to stop harrasing me by text message as well then? His language is completely unacceptable and frankly i have a good mind to report him to the authorities.

[quote]1. - Sending menacing messages causing annoyance, inconvenience or needless anxiety to another - Section 43 Telecommunications Act 1984

or more serious;

2. - Pursuing a course of conduct that puts you in fear of violence - Section 1 Protection from Harassment Act 1997

".... is an offence for a person to pursue a course of conduct which amounts to harassment of another individual, and that they know or ought to know what they're doing amounts to harassment."[/quote]

Whether your brother finds it weak that i would go to the authorities or not, i WILL do it if the harrassing messages dont stop. I dont want to hear about his experience in "martial arts" or his "big freinds"

I also have what amounts to about 6-7 reports from different people in my inbox about his dodgy dealings and letting people down on BC, he is no longer welcome here and his attempt at making alternate accounts is ridiculous.

[quote name='Shockwave' post='744432' date='Feb 14 2010, 12:54 AM']Maybe you could tell your brother to stop harrasing me by text message as well then? His language is completely unacceptable and frankly i have a good mind to report him to the authorities.

Whether your brother finds it weak that i would go to the authorities or not, i WILL do it if the harrassing messages dont stop. I dont want to hear about his experience in "martial arts" or his "big freinds"

I also have what amounts to about 6-7 reports from different people in my inbox about his dodgy dealings and letting people down on BC, he is no longer welcome here and his attempt at making alternate accounts is ridiculous.[/quote]

This IS really disappointing...and I hate it when people boast they can do martial arts. I did martial arts for about 5-6 years or so before I started higher education and as most people know the whole point of it is you DON'T go round boasting it, and especially not to initiate an attack on someone - it is self defence!! If it helps as well, I was under the impression that he only just got into it (Muay Thai) which unfortunately is a little daft considering the context.

Is he still harassing you mate? I have my text messages saved on my phone still, so if you take it to the police etc. then let me know. I haven't heard from him since I said I would report him to the police...? If he is doing it to you still, then go for it. As I said, I really hope he learns from his mistakes, and I would feel awful if he still hadn't realised fully what he had/is doing wrong.