Why become a member? ×

Knobs who comment on You Tube vids

lanark

My favourite youtube bass relate quote goes along the lines of this...

"Good try, but 'proper' bass players don't use a pick, you should really learn to play with your finger 'cos it's better"

Particularly, when the song is something by blink 182 or some other song where the original bassist plays with a pick. And they never complain that the original song was played like that because 'it's their favourite band ever that can plan all the songs and Mark Hoppus is like the favourite bass player ever.'

Great stuff :)

Lol this had to come up at some point, I can understand constructive criticism but when its people just making stupid comments, infact I actually registered on youtube a little while ago just because somebody had made crappy comments about some ones playing so that I could comment back lol. Turns out after joining here I think the guy I was defending is a member on here lol

There's a Youtube clip of a live version of Dylan's "It takes a lot to laugh, it takes a train to cry". There's a ton of high profile performers on stage, like Clapton, Tom Petty etc. About half way down the comments there's this:

"Why do they let that idiot sing? There's ten people on the stage could sing it better than that."

Next comment "That's Bob Dylan".

"Oh sorry, didn't recognise him. I'm only 12."

(actually he said, I'm only young.)

Problem is youtube is an attention seeker's paradise. Whilst a lot of people do some good stuff on there for the right reasons, a lot of the content is just people looking for their 15 seconds of fame, and that carries across into the attitudes of a lot of the commenters - people will just post just about anything to get a rise out of someone, or to imply that they're better than the guy in the vid or whatever, to get noticed.

Edited by Maverick

• 1 month later...

[quote name='spinynorman' post='741884' date='Feb 11 2010, 11:48 AM']There's a Youtube clip of a live version of Dylan's "It takes a lot to laugh, it takes a train to cry". There's a ton of high profile performers on stage, like Clapton, Tom Petty etc. About half way down the comments there's this:

"Why do they let that idiot sing? There's ten people on the stage could sing it better than that."

Next comment "That's Bob Dylan".

"Oh sorry, didn't recognise him. I'm only 12."

(actually he said, I'm only young.)[/quote]

:) :rolleyes: :lol: :lol:
This is comedy gold. Love it.

[quote name='lanark' post='739029' date='Feb 8 2010, 03:51 PM']I've seen a guy do perfectly excellent stab at Jamerson's What's Going On bassline and half the comments are morons telling him that "it's nothing like Jamerson" or "you need to get better rhythm" and "what the hell you thinking not recreating every fill EXACTLY how the great man did it (even if Jamerson did it differently every time he played)".

What do people get out of this act of belittlement?

:)[/quote]
Semi's

[quote name='waynepunkdude' post='776096' date='Mar 16 2010, 11:18 AM']I was just watching a Marina and the Diamonds video, first comment "nice juggs"

Genius :)[/quote]
Is that the same video where someone has pointed out

"she fwas born is wales but she comes from UK"

(Typos as written)

[quote name='hellothere' post='779187' date='Mar 18 2010, 09:59 PM'][/quote]

My wife keeps quoting this about me to my friends.

:)

One thing I notice here compared to - say - Harmony Central is that most of us seem to gig here, whereas many of the members of other music forums are bedroom only players. The difference is in focus: playing alone all you've got is whether you can replicate the track or not, but on stage you're having fun and working with the audience. No-one (apart from the bedroom guitarists at the back) will notice that you started your slide down to a note 1 fret higher up than on the record, or that you didn't manage those 16th triplets perfectly. They're all to busy enjoying the music, and the fact that you're into it too.

[quote name='jim_bass' post='740295' date='Feb 9 2010, 08:26 PM']My favourite youtube bass relate quote goes along the lines of this...

"Good try, but 'proper' bass players don't use a pick, you should really learn to play with your finger 'cos it's better"

Particularly, when the song is something by blink 182 or some other song where the original bassist plays with a pick. And they never complain that the original song was played like that because 'it's their favourite band ever that can plan all the songs and Mark Hoppus is like the favourite bass player ever.'

Great stuff :)[/quote]

God I hate people like that.

I personally love Blink 182, they encouraged me to pick up a bass in the first place and I still listen to them on a regular basis, problem is nowdays if anyone looks them up online its all 'OMG dey is soo good trv$ is da best drumma evar!" and it makes oldschool fans (repping the Dude Ranch!) look like dicks.

I agree about the Blink thing.

This has made me think how Misfts t-shirts are now a fashion accesory and the vast majority of people wearing them have never heard of them or know one song, normally Die Die My Darling as Metallica covered it. It dosnt affect me so i dont know why it bothers me, it just does haha.

[quote name='hellothere' post='780423' date='Mar 20 2010, 02:27 AM']I agree about the Blink thing.

This has made me think how Misfts t-shirts are now a fashion accesory and the vast majority of people wearing them have never heard of them or know one song, normally Die Die My Darling as Metallica covered it. It dosnt affect me so i dont know why it bothers me, it just does haha.[/quote]

We do a cover of Skulls when we get a chance.

[quote name='Ancient Mariner' post='779720' date='Mar 19 2010, 01:12 PM']My wife keeps quoting this about me to my friends.

:)

One thing I notice here compared to - say - Harmony Central is that most of us seem to gig here, whereas many of the members of other music forums are bedroom only players. The difference is in focus: playing alone all you've got is whether you can replicate the track or not, but on stage you're having fun and working with the audience. No-one (apart from the bedroom guitarists at the back) will notice that you started your slide down to a note 1 fret higher up than on the record, or that you didn't manage those 16th triplets perfectly. They're all to busy enjoying the music, and the fact that you're into it too.[/quote]

Lulz! U started the slide down 1 fret up den on de record! Can't u play 16th triplets, noob.

Without youtube comments I would never have known that John Myung is better than Billy Sheehan, Flea is better than John Myung, Victor Wooten is better than Flea, Steve Harris is better than Victor Wooten, Cliff Burton is better than Steve Harris, Geddy Lee is better than Cliff Burton, John Entwistle is better than Geddy Lee, Billy Sheehan is better than John Entwistle and John Myung is better than Billy Sheehan and if you disagree you're gay and you sleep with your mother.

Edited by arthurhenry