Why become a member? ×

Knobs who comment on You Tube vids

lanark

I've seen a guy do perfectly excellent stab at Jamerson's What's Going On bassline and half the comments are morons telling him that "it's nothing like Jamerson" or "you need to get better rhythm" and "what the hell you thinking not recreating every fill EXACTLY how the great man did it (even if Jamerson did it differently every time he played)".

What do people get out of this act of belittlement?

:)

[quote name='lanark' post='739029' date='Feb 8 2010, 03:51 PM']I've seen a guy do perfectly excellent stab at Jamerson's What's Going On bassline and half the comments are morons telling him that "it's nothing like Jamerson" or "you need to get better rhythm" and "what the hell you thinking not recreating every fill EXACTLY how the great man did it (even if Jamerson did it differently every time he played)".

What do people get out of this act of belittlement?

:lol:[/quote]

what a crap thread, never seen such poor gramma' :rolleyes:

but there are real funny comments..."great playing! But i was really distracted by your "roast" peeking out from underneath your shirt, so i will give you a 4.5" :)

Yup exactly know what you mean X100.....example: saw a really good vid of a guy doing Everybody Dance clean, no effects, now that is one tough cookie and he gets slated by some guy who has zero vids of himself, what a t*t!

Edited by iconic

[quote name='Bassassin' post='739044' date='Feb 8 2010, 04:02 PM']Rule 3 - ignore them, for them it's all part of being American and twelve.

Jon.[/quote]

[quote name='Mike' post='739184' date='Feb 8 2010, 05:50 PM']It's not just the Americans...[/quote]
True, it isn't informed by age, nationality or (in the case of musicians) ability. But because of the anonymous nature of the internet, these morons use the little comment box to throw harsh criticisms, most of which are unjustified, at other people's efforts. In doing so they appear to be claiming 'I can do it so much better', but in the majority of cases they have no evidence to support this.

Would they belittle the same person if they met in person? Of course not. It's the same for people arguing on messageboards, beautifully highlighted by this xkcd comic:

Oh yeah, and in closing: [b]UR ALL FAGS LOLOOLOOLOL[/b]

yeah it is amusing how the ones who do all the slagging off never have any videos of their own.

another thing that amused me recently was a load of people slagging of Nine Inch Nails for ruining 'the Johnny Cash song' - and being completely in denial when told that actually Nine Inch Nails wrote 'Hurt' it in the first place... and a similar one about Snow Patrol ruining that Leona Lewis song 'Run'!!! er...two seconds on google will tell you that it was a Snow Patrol song originally!!

aaaargh!! idiots!! everywhere!!

peace

c

I too disable comments on my videos. Some of the stuff posted is actually quite offensive. I've seen racist remarks that have remained for months that YouTube don't seem interested in taking down. Just bizarre. I agree, ignore the comments. And good call on the arm chair critics being asked to show us how it's done!

A new law should be passed. Everyone should be made accountable for their internet posts.

It could be pretty hard to police, but I have a plan: When God does the judgement day thing and burns all sinners in hell, we could get him to tack a paragraph or two on general posting behaviour after the big chunk of sinful naughtiness. Shouldn't take up too much extra time and I don't suppose that we will all have anything urgent to do by then anyway.

[quote name='lanark' post='739029' date='Feb 8 2010, 10:51 AM']I've seen a guy do perfectly excellent stab at Jamerson's What's Going On bassline and half the comments are morons telling him that "it's nothing like Jamerson" or "you need to get better rhythm" and "what the hell you thinking not recreating every fill EXACTLY how the great man did it (even if Jamerson did it differently every time he played)".

[u]What do people get out of this act of belittlement[/u]?

:)[/quote]

The reciprocating self-gratification of feeling superior?

[quote name='Golchen' post='739607' date='Feb 9 2010, 12:29 AM']A new law should be passed. Everyone should be made accountable for their internet posts.

It could be pretty hard to police, but I have a plan: When God does the judgement day thing and burns all sinners in hell, we could get him to tack a paragraph or two on general posting behaviour after the big chunk of sinful naughtiness. Shouldn't take up too much extra time and I don't suppose that we will all have anything urgent to do by then anyway.[/quote]

It's a shame there's no God.....

Anyway guys long drive ahead of me, enjoy.

Edited by waynepunkdude

A comment from someone across the pond:

"What? All I said was that these guys should f*** themselves up the ass for f***ing up a song so bad. You Brits cant take criticism. This is a common thread see from the Brits. If you comment even sightly negative they will attack spelling errors of nationality. How sad. I feel sorry for you that you have to stoop so low."

There's this one guy who posts bass videos on YT, mainly of Jamerson basslines, but he does some Rocco Prestia and other stuff too. His user name is Arcellus. Anyway, i think his playing is fantastic and i've used the videos to help me loads.

But it makes me mad when people post up "yeah, good effort but you could do with getting the feel a bit more" etc etc etc.

What a bunch of w***ers - if i could play half as good as this chap i'd be very happy indeed. Have a look at the line i mean - the crappy comments were there but i'm not sure if he's removed them. I think it's a brilliant bass-line - enjoy!!

[url="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Myn5KD0_9Kk"]Jamerson / Gladys Knight[/url]

[quote name='iconic' post='739166' date='Feb 8 2010, 05:31 PM']Yup exactly know what you mean X100.....example: saw a really good vid of a guy doing Everybody Dance clean, no effects, now that is one tough cookie and he gets slated by some guy who has zero vids of himself, what a t*t!

[/quote]

Why do people insist on talking for so long on their YouTube music videos? This guy was more interesting than the majority, but I only wanted to hear the bassline, not his life story.

Most of the time it is some guy who thinks he is great in front of camera, but instead delivers in monotone with sighs in mid-sentence- like Andy Murray.