Why become a member? ×

yet more cabinet advice required!

Gwilym

[quote name='Gwilym' post='82878' date='Nov 2 2007, 03:00 PM']as long as it handles a low B adequately, then I'm happy[/quote]
That's quite at odds with a true 'vintage' tone; my 65 Fender Bassman wouldn't go below G before going apoplectic. But todays drivers aren't so anemic. An OTop 12 will handle a low B, the question is whether you'd need a 1x12 or 2x12 to get the levels you want.

[quote name='Bill Fitzmaurice' post='82929' date='Nov 2 2007, 08:49 PM']That's quite at odds with a true 'vintage' tone; my 65 Fender Bassman wouldn't go below G before going apoplectic. But todays drivers aren't so anemic. An OTop 12 will handle a low B, the question is whether you'd need a 1x12 or 2x12 to get the levels you want.[/quote]

i agree, but I'm not really after total vintage "authenticity", just less of that high frequency toppy-ness, for want of a better technical description.

[quote name='Gwilym' post='82950' date='Nov 2 2007, 09:39 PM']i agree, but I'm not really after total vintage "authenticity", just less of that high frequency toppy-ness, for want of a better technical description.[/quote]

Then you might need one of these:-

:)

you still have not answered my original Q. Whats the full rig? I dont know heaps about GK but I know they have a bi-amp facility on some gear. If you have been using a GK combo with bi-amp and you have been putting the bass through the tweeter of the Accugrove cos you have used the wrong cable its gonna sound sh*t!

[quote name='bass_ferret' post='83005' date='Nov 3 2007, 12:14 AM']you still have not answered my original Q. Whats the full rig? I dont know heaps about GK but I know they have a bi-amp facility on some gear. If you have been using a GK combo with bi-amp and you have been putting the bass through the tweeter of the Accugrove cos you have used the wrong cable its gonna sound sh*t![/quote]

I certainly haven't used the Accugroove as an extention cab to the GK combo, a never intended to either. no biamp facility on the MB150, i think just on their large amp heads?

ok, current amp is Demeter VTBP-201s pre or Trace V-Type pre into a Trace Elliot PPA300 power amp, which has two channels, but not bridgeable, hence my preferred 2 cab solution.

[quote name='Gwilym' post='83078' date='Nov 3 2007, 10:20 AM']I certainly haven't used the Accugroove as an extention cab to the GK combo, a never intended to either. no biamp facility on the MB150, i think just on their large amp heads?[/quote]
Did not think it was likely to be honest but you never know.

[quote name='Gwilym' post='83078' date='Nov 3 2007, 10:20 AM']ok, current amp is Demeter VTBP-201s pre or Trace V-Type pre into a Trace Elliot PPA300 power amp, which has two channels, but not bridgeable, hence my preferred 2 cab solution.[/quote]

I think I would be inclined towards the Agi 1x12 solution. There are a couple of GS112 in for sale.