Why become a member? ×

yet more cabinet advice required!

Gwilym

Sorry for yet another "which cab should I get?" thread. Hopefully it's a sufficiently different scenario from the others, or it just might be far more vague :huh:

Right. A bit of history. I've not owned tons of amplification and even fewer cabs. For years I had an SWR Bigfoot 2x12" which was a managable size and weight, and i'd maybe like to be getting back to that type of sound. I never disliked it but Bassworld raised my GAS levels and I ended up buying an Accugroove Tri210. I don't dislike the Accugroove either, good size/weight, but I think I like a more coloured tone. More vintage, and less "hi-fi" if you like, but something that still responds well to eq-ing.

Another requirement might be a more modular 2 x 8ohm cab solution. I can then use 1 of the cabs as an extention to my GK combo if I want/need (but this isn't crucial). The GK is also a 12" driver. Now on a simple level, it appears that I may have a preference for the sound of 12" drivers, but maybe that is over-simplification, as I have no doubt someone will tell me :)

Ok so here are the candidates in no particular order. Rather that looking at a direct recommendation, I think I'm looking for opinions of how these cabs sound with different amps etc, especially if you've owned more that one of the cabs.

Oh, it's got to sound good with a low B too.

BFM Omni 12 Top (maybe without the tweeters) as recommended by Thumper
Aguilar GS112 x 2 (or even the DB112s as they are less mid-scooped. this solution appeals to my modular ideas. The 2x10 I played in the gallery, a while back, sounded very nice with the Epi UL502 head)
Epifany UL310 (just how hi-fi are these cabs in comparison to the Accugroove?)
EA CXL-112, with a view to getting another at a later stage - again not sure if this would sound too clean.
Schroeder 1212 ?

I should also add that my basses are far from "vintage" style basses.

If I'm barking up the wrong tree, then feel free to direct me to the correct piece of timber. I'll leave it at that for now, as I'm being kicked of the computer!

cheers
G

[quote name='Gwilym' post='80991' date='Oct 29 2007, 08:17 PM']Sorry for yet another "which cab should I get?" thread. Hopefully it's a sufficiently different scenario from the others, or it just might be far more vague :huh:

Right. A bit of history. I've not owned tons of amplification and even fewer cabs. For years I had an SWR Bigfoot 2x12" which was a managable size and weight, and i'd maybe like to be getting back to that type of sound. I never disliked it but Bassworld raised my GAS levels and I ended up buying an Accugroove Tri210. I don't dislike the Accugroove either, good size/weight, but I think I like a more coloured tone. More vintage, and less "hi-fi" if you like, but something that still responds well to eq-ing.

Another requirement might be a more modular 2 x 8ohm cab solution. I can then use 1 of the cabs as an extention to my GK combo if I want/need (but this isn't crucial). The GK is also a 12" driver. Now on a simple level, it appears that I may have a preference for the sound of 12" drivers, but maybe that is over-simplification, as I have no doubt someone will tell me :)

Ok so here are the candidates in no particular order. Rather that looking at a direct recommendation, I think I'm looking for opinions of how these cabs sound with different amps etc, especially if you've owned more that one of the cabs.

Oh, it's got to sound good with a low B too.

BFM Omni 12 Top (maybe without the tweeters) as recommended by Thumper
Aguilar GS112 x 2 (or even the DB112s as they are less mid-scooped. this solution appeals to my modular ideas. The 2x10 I played in the gallery, a while back, sounded very nice with the Epi UL502 head)
Epifany UL310 (just how hi-fi are these cabs in comparison to the Accugroove?)
EA CXL-112, with a view to getting another at a later stage - again not sure if this would sound too clean.
Schroeder 1212 ?

I should also add that my basses are far from "vintage" style basses.

If I'm barking up the wrong tree, then feel free to direct me to the correct piece of timber. I'll leave it at that for now, as I'm being kicked of the computer!

cheers
G[/quote]

Hi G,

Not sure how much help this will be, but I've just bought three DB112 cabs and a DB750 head. I would say the tone I get from this rig is warm and less bright than my GK head. It's the amp with all its valves doing this, rather than the cabs. So I guess you need to think about the head when your talking tone. I've kept my gk head to use with two DB cabs if needed. The sound from both heads is totally different. (the DB750 will disembowel you and take your head off at the same time!)

But if you decide on the Aguilar DB112 cabs, rest assured, they can handle a low B without problem. Nice and sensitive too.

Cheers
Ian

Not sure of the whole picture here. Its a good idea to tell everyone what the full rig is etc to get the best advice.

Failing that, if you are using a GK combo get a GK extension cab that goes with it. Using it with something radically different is likely to sound sh*t.

Edited by bass_ferret

[quote name='Gwilym' post='80991' date='Oct 29 2007, 08:17 PM']Epifany UL310 (just how hi-fi are these cabs in comparison to the Accugroove?)[/quote]

Hey Gwil'!

Jsut a quick post.. no doubt will revisit it another time..

I think the Accu and Epi are 2 different beasts. My way of describing them, is pretty much where I found the sound in my head was heading. I'd call it 'flatter response Vs HiFi'. How I would describe this, is that, sure some speaker cabinets are going for an uncoloured clean sound. Maybe aiming for that 'flat response' holy grail. They do sound very good. I really do love the sound of soft dome tweeters. Not everyone does.. but they sound nice with zingy new strings. I think the Accugroove kinda fits this description. Yes, they sound nice plugged into a CD player. In some ways, I really do miss that detailed top end in my rig. (I did even think about buying back the TRI210 and plopping it on top of my Epi to make a giant MoFo 8x10 arrangement!!!!!

On the flip side, is what I would decribe as HiFi. I think Epifani kinda fits in that description, but there are other cabs out there that maybe fit in better. They are clear and appear to be designed to do a particular job. People talk about an accentuated upper middle on the smaller Epi cabs for example, but they still retain a clarity and less colour than other cabs on the market.

I have to admit, that playing my Epi UL610 at home, I did start to wonder if I'd made a mistake... but... here's the bit I was talking about.. what ever EQ has been engineered into these cabs is there for a reason. I have wound mine up loud, so the speakers are really working properly, and things start to open up nicely. i dunno all the technical stuff, but at volume, things started to sound a lot more like I'd hoped for. Smooth! Dynamic and very powerful.

Ok, so the Accu 210 isnt a fair comparison.. but I suspect if Accu did a 610 as well, it would be a very impressive cab.

so.. next question, vintage or hifi? - I start with Hifi everytime and engineer the vintage in with the amp.. so hopefully whats going out the DI is what I expect. (I hardly ever mile a cab these days).

ok.. enough rambling!

I get a very 'vintage funk' sound....... think Stanley Clarke circa 1976, from my Accugroove tri112l, probably due to them being very open to EQing, I'm not having to EQ anything out before hand if you see what I mean.

I'm using an Alembic pre into the effects return of an Epifani UL502, my bass is a Bart/John East loaded Modulus Q6, just like Dood says above, the 'vintage' bit is definately coming from the amp, certainly not the cab or the bass.

If you want a more vintage sound I think you can cross Epifani, BFM and EA of your list as to my ears are more hifi that Accugrooves. I think acu. can be anything you want them to be with eq and turning up/down the tweater level. In my opinion what goes comes out so if you want a more vintagey sound you should be looking at basses? Or a warmer amp?

Just throw that in for ya

Edited by TimmyC

To a degree I've gone through very much the same thing (as has Dood I imagine) in the last year or two!

I had a pair of H&K 2x10 combos that I used for over 15 years and due to them both developing terminal problems I bought a H&K Bassbase 600 amp which I continued to use with the cab section of my combos. Cutting to the present day via a potted history I bought a pair of Neo 2x12 EBS, changed the H&K for a Warwick amp, sold the EBS and bought Tech 2x10 & 1x15, chopped in the Warwick amp for MB, sold the Tech cabs and bought a 6x10 Tech, got rid of the MB and bought a Thunderfunk (oh and a Tech amp). The whole time I was also considering Epifani, Accugroove, Schroeder, Glock etc etc. I was also questioning whether I had an issue with the tone of Neo speakers, a recent trial (thanks to fellow local BCers JPJ and WoT, and also reading stuff here and on TB by Alex and BFM) helped me clarify that it is cab design not 'necessarily' the driver installed that matters. Added to which I was p*ssing about swapping pups and preamps in my basses... the Devil makes work for idle hands.

As you can see I've had an unsettled year or two and spent a lot of time changing cab THEN amp THEN cab THEN amp. It may not help you immensely but I'd try and identify an amp that you like before you go chasing cabs and have some kind of constant in your system.

and remember when you are asking these questions... 'one man's meat is another man's poison', someone's sweet top end could just as easily be fingernail's down a blackboard to me!

[quote name='Gwilym' post='80991' date='Oct 29 2007, 04:17 PM']BFM Omni 12 Top (maybe without the tweeters) as recommended by Thumper[/quote]
If he has one I'd give it a try. 'Vintage' translates to weak bottom, strong midbass and midrange, and a weak high end. That's the way cabs of the 60's sounded because that's what the drivers and cabs of the day were capable of. The OTop 12 and 15 are PA tops by design, meant to be used with subs, and that means a weak bottom, strong midbass and midrange, and, when built sans tweeters, a weak high end. The result is very much a vintage tone, but between using modern drivers and cabinet technology a lot louder than their 1965 counterparts. Very different animals from the more hi-fi Omni models.

[quote name='warwickhunt' post='81128' date='Oct 30 2007, 08:08 AM']To a degree I've gone through very much the same thing (as has Dood I imagine) in the last year or two!

I had a pair of H&K 2x10 combos that I used for over 15 years and due to them both developing terminal problems I bought a H&K Bassbase 600 amp which I continued to use with the cab section of my combos. Cutting to the present day via a potted history I bought a pair of Neo 2x12 EBS, changed the H&K for a Warwick amp, sold the EBS and bought Tech 2x10 & 1x15, chopped in the Warwick amp for MB, sold the Tech cabs and bought a 6x10 Tech, got rid of the MB and bought a Thunderfunk (oh and a Tech amp). The whole time I was also considering Epifani, Accugroove, Schroeder, Glock etc etc. I was also questioning whether I had an issue with the tone of Neo speakers, a recent trial (thanks to fellow local BCers JPJ and WoT, and also reading stuff here and on TB by Alex and BFM) helped me clarify that it is cab design not 'necessarily' the driver installed that matters. Added to which I was p*ssing about swapping pups and preamps in my basses... the Devil makes work for idle hands.

As you can see I've had an unsettled year or two and spent a lot of time changing cab THEN amp THEN cab THEN amp. It may not help you immensely but I'd try and identify an amp that you like before you go chasing cabs and have some kind of constant in your system.

and remember when you are asking these questions... 'one man's meat is another man's poison', someone's sweet top end could just as easily be fingernail's down a blackboard to me![/quote]
Blimey, I'm exhausted just reading that!! :) Good advice though...

..Kind of a modern-day bass players parable for all of us who are searching for that perfect sound which of course, is different for all of us! At the end of the day, there's no substitute for trying out as much equipment as possible but that's easier said than done. That's one of the really good things about the Bass Bash. At the SE Bash I went to in August; I got to hear so much different equipment that I would never have gotten round to hearing otherwise..

Anyway, good luck with it all Gwil !

[quote name='warwickhunt' post='81128' date='Oct 30 2007, 08:08 AM']To a degree I've gone through very much the same thing (as has Dood I imagine) in the last year or two![/quote]

oh yes! Haven't we just! I think my bank account has taken a similar pounding to yours!!!

[quote name='dood' post='81565' date='Oct 31 2007, 12:33 AM']oh yes! Haven't we just! I think my bank account has taken a similar pounding to yours!!![/quote]

Hasn't it just! Luckily a lot of the stuff that I bought and sold passed through BW/BT/BC so I wasn't losing huge wedges of cash on the used items (lost more in carriage costs than anything), my biggest regret was the MarkBass LMK & SA450 amps. I assumed they would be the cure to my woes and purchased new; unfortunately great amps that they may be, they didn't cut it live for me.

At least by giving a running commentary on BC of our trials, we not only entertain ('stupid git has more money than sense', style) but hopefully we can save one or two others some dosh. Failing that if you circle around one or two BCers long enough they offload choice bits of gear... no names shall be mentioned we know who we are :)

Edited by warwickhunt

firstly thanks very much for all the replies - I haven't been able to get online to respond since my initial post, so here goes

[quote name='Chopthebass' post='80998' date='Oct 29 2007, 08:24 PM']Hi G,

Not sure how much help this will be, but I've just bought three DB112 cabs and a DB750 head. I would say the tone I get from this rig is warm and less bright than my GK head. It's the amp with all its valves doing this, rather than the cabs. So I guess you need to think about the head when your talking tone. I've kept my gk head to use with two DB cabs if needed. The sound from both heads is totally different. (the DB750 will disembowel you and take your head off at the same time!)

But if you decide on the Aguilar DB112 cabs, rest assured, they can handle a low B without problem. Nice and sensitive too.

Cheers
Ian[/quote]

hi Ian,
I saw the thread on your new babies, it looks like an awesome modular rig. I'm definitely going to try to audition a couple as well as the GS112s. In fact I think it was another recent post of yours that made me aware of the new DB range, so they're on my list :0)

[quote name='paul, the' post='81001' date='Oct 29 2007, 08:33 PM']Just letting you know; there's a Schroeder 1210 on ebay.

£400-450[/quote]

hi Paul, cheers for the heads up - a decent price, but too early for me to take the plunge on anything just yet :huh: I see theres a 21012 on ebay too at the moment. I wonder what they're like? Weight wise they're (the light version anyway) exactly the same as my Tri210

[quote name='bass_ferret' post='81014' date='Oct 29 2007, 08:49 PM']Not sure of the whole picture here. Its a good idea to tell everyone what the full rig is etc to get the best advice.

Failing that, if you are using a GK combo get a GK extension cab that goes with it. Using it with something radically different is likely to sound sh*t.[/quote]

howdy Ferret,
i totally take your point, and am certainly mindful of how my amp/bass will weigh into the overall equation, but I deliberately didn't post that info just to try to focus the discussing on cabs. However, I'm not being coy, and I will post that info in due course ;0)
Re the GK combo, the MB150 extention cab is on my list, as is the Aggie GS112. The reason for this being that when I was at the Bass Merchant buying my MB150, Mike Walsh mentioned that Tom Jenkinson (Squarepusher) had also bought a MB150 combo and was using as GS112 as the extension cab. Apparently it sounded very good.

[quote name='dood' post='81031' date='Oct 29 2007, 09:45 PM']Hey Gwil'!

Jsut a quick post.. no doubt will revisit it another time..

I think the Accu and Epi are 2 different beasts. My way of describing them, is pretty much where I found the sound in my head was heading. I'd call it 'flatter response Vs HiFi'. How I would describe this, is that, sure some speaker cabinets are going for an uncoloured clean sound. Maybe aiming for that 'flat response' holy grail. They do sound very good. I really do love the sound of soft dome tweeters. Not everyone does.. but they sound nice with zingy new strings. I think the Accugroove kinda fits this description. Yes, they sound nice plugged into a CD player. In some ways, I really do miss that detailed top end in my rig. (I did even think about buying back the TRI210 and plopping it on top of my Epi to make a giant MoFo 8x10 arrangement!!!!!

On the flip side, is what I would decribe as HiFi. I think Epifani kinda fits in that description, but there are other cabs out there that maybe fit in better. They are clear and appear to be designed to do a particular job. People talk about an accentuated upper middle on the smaller Epi cabs for example, but they still retain a clarity and less colour than other cabs on the market.

I have to admit, that playing my Epi UL610 at home, I did start to wonder if I'd made a mistake... but... here's the bit I was talking about.. what ever EQ has been engineered into these cabs is there for a reason. I have wound mine up loud, so the speakers are really working properly, and things start to open up nicely. i dunno all the technical stuff, but at volume, things started to sound a lot more like I'd hoped for. Smooth! Dynamic and very powerful.

Ok, so the Accu 210 isnt a fair comparison.. but I suspect if Accu did a 610 as well, it would be a very impressive cab.

so.. next question, vintage or hifi? - I start with Hifi everytime and engineer the vintage in with the amp.. so hopefully whats going out the DI is what I expect. (I hardly ever mile a cab these days).

ok.. enough rambling![/quote]

hi Dood,
as always, even your quick posts put my long and rambling ones to shame :huh:
Thanks for the comparison with the Epi, it sounds like you're saying that the Epi 610 has a flatter response to the Accugroove? It's also interesting that you say how you don't really get the sound you like unless you really push the cab? I your cab is pretty new, so maybe it's still breaking in.
Nevertheless, I definitely don't want a cab that really needs to be pushed hard for best effects, as I'm mostly going to be playing at relatively low to moderate volumes - not 6x10 heaven :huh:

[quote name='6stringbassist' post='81045' date='Oct 29 2007, 10:37 PM']I get a very 'vintage funk' sound....... think Stanley Clarke circa 1976, from my Accugroove tri112l, probably due to them being very open to EQing, I'm not having to EQ anything out before hand if you see what I mean.

I'm using an Alembic pre into the effects return of an Epifani UL502, my bass is a Bart/John East loaded Modulus Q6, just like Dood says above, the 'vintage' bit is definately coming from the amp, certainly not the cab or the bass.[/quote]

hi, as you probably have guessed, one of the reasons for this post was to do with whether I should consider trading my Tr210 for your Epi 310 :huh: The tri112 sound like quite a nice cab too, maybe I should add that on my list of candidates.

[quote name='TimmyC' post='81060' date='Oct 29 2007, 11:13 PM']If you want a more vintage sound I think you can cross Epifani, BFM and EA of your list as to my ears are more hifi that Accugrooves. I think acu. can be anything you want them to be with eq and turning up/down the tweater level. In my opinion what goes comes out so if you want a more vintagey sound you should be looking at basses? Or a warmer amp?

Just throw that in for ya[/quote]

Hi TimmyC, I hear you - and thats why I was also thinking at the back of my mind that the BFM (see caveat below), Epi or EA while I'm sure would sound awesome, might give out a bit too much in the higher frequencies for my needs/tastes.

[quote name='warwickhunt' post='81128' date='Oct 30 2007, 08:08 AM']To a degree I've gone through very much the same thing (as has Dood I imagine) in the last year or two!

and remember when you are asking these questions... 'one man's meat is another man's poison', someone's sweet top end could just as easily be fingernail's down a blackboard to me![/quote]

Hello Mr Hunt,
yes I have read of your trials and tribulations :huh: I think that the lesson I'm taking (also from Dood) is to get out and play as many of the different cabs as I can before making as decision, as I certainly only did that once ever, when I originally bought my SWR kit back in '95 :)

[quote name='Bill Fitzmaurice' post='81262' date='Oct 30 2007, 02:19 PM']If he has one I'd give it a try. 'Vintage' translates to weak bottom, strong midbass and midrange, and a weak high end. That's the way cabs of the 60's sounded because that's what the drivers and cabs of the day were capable of. The OTop 12 and 15 are PA tops by design, meant to be used with subs, and that means a weak bottom, strong midbass and midrange, and, when built sans tweeters, a weak high end. The result is very much a vintage tone, but between using modern drivers and cabinet technology a lot louder than their 1965 counterparts. Very different animals from the more hi-fi Omni models.[/quote]

hi Bill,
thanks for your thoughts - pretty much exactly what Steve explained to me too :huh:. Now I do like the idea of this cab, and if I can get up to Northampton and Steve has one built, I would love to try it. But! I'd still like to keep the bottom end if possible. Which of your cab designs would you recommend on that basis? thanks! :huh:

[quote name='silverfoxnik' post='81551' date='Oct 30 2007, 11:56 PM']Blimey, I'm exhausted just reading that!! :huh: Good advice though...

..Kind of a modern-day bass players parable for all of us who are searching for that perfect sound which of course, is different for all of us! At the end of the day, there's no substitute for trying out as much equipment as possible but that's easier said than done. That's one of the really good things about the Bass Bash. At the SE Bash I went to in August; I got to hear so much different equipment that I would never have gotten round to hearing otherwise..

Anyway, good luck with it all Gwil ![/quote]

hi Nick
well, I am exhausted writing what may be my most detailed reply on BC to date, and maybe BW too! Again, wise words - always best to try before you buy, and as I'm not in a big hurry to get my next cab, then I think that is what I will do. Most of what's been mentioned is sold at the Gallery, so hopefully I can give Alex a call and arrange to audition as much as I can in one sitting. Yes, the bass bashes are a good idea, but so far they all seem to fall on weekends that I can't make. Next time!

Ultimately things stand or fall in a live setting, but hopefully I won't have any problems with that when I eventually make my mind up.

Thanks to every one again for taking the time to reply, and please feel free to continue your ruminations :huh:

cheers
Gwil

[quote name='Crazykiwi' post='81950' date='Oct 31 2007, 09:16 PM']How about using a 1x15 cabinet with no tweeter? It worked well for Bob Babbit and he was using a GK head with it right up until he started endorsing Phil Jones.[/quote]

yes indeed, i may well try out 1x15 cab, but I'm not really up to speed on what's available in that respect, so will have to do some research

Big G,

Totally take your point regarding uncoloured advice but you are forgetting the Big S I alluded to in my post. Synergy. Some combinations work well, some are even better (P-bass, SVT) but some are total sh*t.

Having been here myself using totally unsuitable bass/amp/cab combinations (but too long ago to be of any interest) synergy must be taken into account.

[quote]hi Dood,
as always, even your quick posts put my long and rambling ones to shame
Thanks for the comparison with the Epi, it sounds like you're saying that the Epi 610 has a flatter response to the Accugroove? It's also interesting that you say how you don't really get the sound you like unless you really push the cab? I your cab is pretty new, so maybe it's still breaking in.
Nevertheless, I definitely don't want a cab that really needs to be pushed hard for best effects, as I'm mostly going to be playing at relatively low to moderate volumes - not 6x10 heaven[/quote]

lol! I got a bit carried away! ;o) Um, I'm not sure, I think the Accu has a flatter response, as it does sound nicer plugged into my HiFi. So, I think the Epi has an EQ kinda programmed in there. Theres an upper mid clarity that accentuates a woody sort of tone at lower volumes, but when I'm playing with a band, the big cab just breathes a lot more.. and the bottom end really kicks in.

Yes, it's defintely still breaking in.. poor thing didnt leave the house for about 3 months!! I may have just about clocked up 3 hours playtime with it!

6x10 is certainly a beast. Um, I guess it doesnt need to be pushed hard to hear it working.. rattling along to a skin tickler, it will be just fine.. but, I really like drummers who beat 3 shades of... ehem... out of their kits, so being able to move a lot of air was imporatnt for me, as the bottom end is clearer and deeper.(two guitarists with stacks are on the menu for the new band)

Actually, knowing what I know now.. would have loved to have heard the Acme Low B4 in comparison.

[quote name='warwickhunt' post='81595' date='Oct 31 2007, 07:56 AM']Hasn't it just! Luckily a lot of the stuff that I bought and sold passed through BW/BT/BC so I wasn't losing huge wedges of cash on the used items (lost more in carriage costs than anything), my biggest regret was the MarkBass LMK & SA450 amps. I assumed they would be the cure to my woes and purchased new; unfortunately great amps that they may be, they didn't cut it live for me.

At least by giving a running commentary on BC of our trials, we not only entertain ('stupid git has more money than sense', style) but hopefully we can save one or two others some dosh. Failing that if you circle around one or two BCers long enough they offload choice bits of gear... no names shall be mentioned we know who we are :)[/quote]

I hear ya! - I realsied recently that I bought and sold a lot of gear after selling my Ampeg SVP preamp. I bought a Warwick pre, the excellent Trace valve pre.. I bought the line6 XT pro and the Behringer Vamp before that...

and what have I just bought? Another SVP pro... which is looking like the solution to all the hassles I thought I was having in the first place!!! WHY did I get rid of the first one??

If I carry on this way, I'll end up with the original Hartke cabs too!! (nah.. the Epi is gonna stay I reckon) - Mebbe should have kept those Tech 4x10's too!!!

Speaking of preamps, dare I say it... I may end up taking the SVP to recording sessions instead of the Line6!! hmmmm... maybe not.. the line6 is a lot easier to haul around than my full rack!

[quote name='Gwilym' post='81947' date='Oct 31 2007, 05:06 PM']hi Bill,
thanks for your thoughts - pretty much exactly what Steve explained to me too :). Now I do like the idea of this cab, and if I can get up to Northampton and Steve has one built, I would love to try it. But! I'd still like to keep the bottom end if possible. Which of your cab designs would you recommend on that basis? thanks! :huh:[/quote]
That depends on what your definition of a good bottom end is.

[quote name='Bill Fitzmaurice' post='82036' date='Nov 1 2007, 02:26 AM']That depends on what your definition of a good bottom end is.[/quote]

Something that can blow the head off a pint of beer 100' from the stage, but not be too boomy. Tight, focussed, defined - like Kylie's bum :)

Hamster