Why become a member? ×

Best Rig for £400-£600?

Sparky

Hello All,

I'm a 'newbie' on basschat and would appreciate some tips on good value bass rigs. Will almost certainly be looking for second hand gear and I have a budget of around £400-£600 (all in). £500 would be ideal - I'd rather not go to £600 but if I'm convinced!!...

AMP - I think I need a 250-350W amp?... My 'rock' band play in small to medium sized venues (toilet circuit) and more often than not, the vocals and guitars come through as white noise on stage, so I need to be able to hear myself above that. up to now, the volume of my current 350W amp hasn't been a problem so I'm guessing I'm after something with a similar amount of power? open to suggestions though...

CABINETS - These need to be PORTABLE ie. I need to be able to carry the cabs up stairs on my own - So probably a 1x15 and a 2x10?

With regards tone - I don't know anything Other than the only rig I've owned - a Hartke 3500 amp + 4.5XL cab - which I'll be selling... or depending on what I decide, I may keep the hartke head and just replace the cabs (In which case, my budget would be reduced to around £350 (tops) for the cabs alone).

Hopefully this thread will prove useful to a few readers.. £400-600 is probably middle'a'la'range no?

OK. Thanks in advance to anyone who decides to share their thoughts. Cheers, Sparky.

Hmmm, prolly not what you have in mind but might be of interest. I have a 600W rig that I 'share' with my PA system.

(prices approx. 2nd hand, not inc delivery)

head:
behringer v-amp pro (£70)
behringer compressor/gate (£40)
DAP Radon 600 Power amp (£60)
6u rackbag (£30)

cabs:
2 x Peavey PRO-SUB 1 x 15's (£220 new)

Very versatile on sounds and just a bit over £400

The bass bins are bulky but not heavy

Looks good but prolly overkill for the venues you have in mind :)

ok ok, the voices of reason have spoken. my whole adventure started with a need to replace my big 4x10 cab with two smaller ones so i could keep my rig at home... since I joined basschat, my cab mission seems to have snowballed after witnessing the wealth of cool bass stuff i never knew existed - this is the first time since i started playing 10 years ago that i've ever considered investing / changin my rig! i opened pandora's box, got sucked in and now can't seem to escape her spell!

i needed to buy some cabs and instead of just going ahead and doing the sensible thing and replacing hartke with hartke, i decided to explore a little... now i've done that and got it out my system, I have to get down to business - thanks to you guys - pandora's lid has been firmly shut - right on my frickin' fingers! damn you all! haha - just joshin' - i have taken your advice on board and am now seeking a Hartke 2x10XL and a 1x15XL like I should have been doing all along. thanks for your advice; now I'm going to save my pennies and sp**k them on a new bass. sweet. thanks again. sparky :)

[quote]Hey Sparky, if you want new stuff, try here [url="http://www.thomann.de/gb/2x10_bass_cabinets.html"]http://www.thomann.de/gb/2x10_bass_cabinets.html[/url][/quote]

thanks original funster. i came across the thomann website on my quest for cabs! it's nice that the products are split into the catagories in the way that they are - although the easier they make browsing, the easier it is to unknowingly drool on one's keyboard.. damn i've done it again! :huh: good prices too!

[quote]Great choice, Spark'! So it was just a case of misdiagnosed GAS all along[/quote]

The Paul! Yeh, thanks for suggesting i start a topic and get a few people's opinions - it was the right thing to do! i needed to be told - like a kid in a sweet shop! 'no sparky, you can't have one of everything!'

by the way, what does 'GAS' mean? I've come accross a few acronyms that I've not been able to work out - GAS seems to be a common one. Is there a directory somewhere on the forum?!! Also, what's 'Bump'????!!!!! this seems to be a big part of forum antics and i've no idea what it means!

One last thing; appologies to the forum admin - Sorry for using the word 'sp hunk' - didn't realise it was a no no - won't do it again. sorry. :)

Edited by Sparky

sp**k is blocked! That's hysterical.

GAS = Gear Aquisition Syndrome. I think it originated from the early days of HarmonyCentral.com IIRC I first heard the term in about 99/2000.

Anyway, I was going to say that it's great that everyone just pointed out the sensible option - it's a long and expensive road once you succumb to GAS. I came to the end of it only a month or two ago, I think.

Haha! thanks for that G-Beatch. Doctor, doctor, I think i've come down with something; I think i'm suffering from GAS and I've got it bad... REAL BAD!!! hopefully after this initial bout, my immune system'll kick in and next time i won't be hit so hard!

Jeez, after being bought back to earth and told that i had to stick with my current amp, i've somehow convinced myself that since i'm not gonna be spending surplus on the rig, i can afford to buy a new bass... How the hell have i worked that out? i So Can't afford it!.. it does seem like a good deal though, and the little beastie's frickin' gorgeous! [url="http://basschat.co.uk/index.php?showtopic=1051&hl=fender+jazz"]http://basschat.co.uk/index.php?showtopic=...;hl=fender+jazz[/url]
but hey, like i said, i really CAN'T afford it so probably won't be pursuing it. bah humbug! :) oh well, i guess i'm kinda getting Some new gear - just waiting for the pics of the 210&115XL cabs...

[quote name='G-bitch' post='81662' date='Oct 31 2007, 11:34 AM']Anyway, I was going to say that it's great that everyone just pointed out the sensible option - it's a long and expensive road once you succumb to GAS. I came to the end of it only a month or two ago, I think.[/quote]

GAS is always waiting for you to turn around so it can smash you out.