Why become a member? ×

Schroeder 1210 + ????

mcgraham

I got the impression he was a violinist based on all his in class examples and in discussion examples, so perhaps a bit of classical prejudice there.

I am personally of the opinion that it does make a difference, but that the impact of construction/craftsmanship, pickup location and type along with amplification is greater. I'm not sure to what extent this is true (sometimes I'm not even sure it is!) but I'd perhaps venture out to say to a greater extent rather than a lesser extent.

What are your thoughts Bill? Feel free to tear me a new one if you think otherwise.

Mark

[quote name='mcgraham' post='84471' date='Nov 6 2007, 10:45 AM']I got the impression he was a violinist based on all his in class examples and in discussion examples, so perhaps a bit of classical prejudice there.

I am personally of the opinion that it does make a difference, but that the impact of construction/craftsmanship, pickup location and type along with amplification is greater. I'm not sure to what extent this is true (sometimes I'm not even sure it is!) but I'd perhaps venture out to say to a greater extent rather than a lesser extent.

What are your thoughts Bill? Feel free to tear me a new one if you think otherwise.

Mark[/quote]
They all factor in. Your lecturer probably based his bias on the concept that solid bodies don't have vibrating tops. The problem with that concept is that it's incorrect, solid bodies do vibrate and do have resonance signatures that contribute to tone. Those resonances aren't as potent in the final result as amp EQ or speaker coloration, but OTOH put mic'ed violin through an effects board and guitar amp and you wouldn't be able to tell a Strad from a Strat.

[quote name='Bill Fitzmaurice' post='84517' date='Nov 6 2007, 05:19 PM']They all factor in. Your lecturer probably based his bias on the concept that solid bodies don't have vibrating tops. The problem with that concept is that it's incorrect, solid bodies do vibrate and do have resonance signatures that contribute to tone. Those resonances aren't as potent in the final result as amp EQ or speaker coloration, but OTOH put mic'ed violin through an effects board and guitar amp and you wouldn't be able to tell a Strad from a Strat.[/quote]

As Kennedy demonstrated aptly on his Hendrix album ..

it always amazes acoustic instrument players I have spoken to that so much difference can be caused by adding a few laminated strips of wenge to a neck, for example ...

Edited by OldGit

Most definitely, I think that's why I've perhaps played down the issue of material/wood type (in my own mind at least) as not a massive contributor to tone but as you say, they do vibrate and resonate, so to argue that it is of no impact is incorrect.

Well I'm glad we've settled that old chestnut :)

Mark

Bit of an update, today I will be parting with some cash :) *sob* to purchase the AI Clarus BB2000 is selling... great price for a great amp, and the lightweightness of it makes for a great starting point too!

...Now... if only I had a Schroeder to go with it....

Mark

Just got an SWR 750x and A/B'd it with my GK through the 1210. SWR definitely not as good a match with the Schro as the GK.

The GK colours the sound more and offsets the inherent mid of the cab a bit. The SWR is a bit too dry for the cab and the Aural Enhancer didn't warm it up enough on its own.

I can use the para mid on the 750 to smooth the mid bump out a bit, but unless I use a separate EQ I can't selectively boost or cut any other mids. An SM500 or 900 might work better.

If I keep the 750 I'll probably need to get rid of the Schroeder.

Well, please let me know if you do end up deciding you want to move it on. I'd be happy to step in and take it off your hands :)

That's a valid point I may need to consider as the amp I've ended up going with, at least for now, is designed to be as transparent as possible.

Guess we'll just have to see!

Mark

[quote name='mcgraham' post='88775' date='Nov 15 2007, 07:23 AM']Well, please let me know if you do end up deciding you want to move it on. I'd be happy to step in and take it off your hands :)

That's a valid point I may need to consider as the amp I've ended up going with, at least for now, is designed to be as transparent as possible.

Guess we'll just have to see!

Mark[/quote]

Where are you, Mark?
There's a bunch of Schroeders around and maybe you coudl get to try one before deciding..

[quote name='machinehead' post='88865' date='Nov 15 2007, 11:26 AM']I just noticed that SHX are advertising a consignment of Schroeder 1212L in rhino finish on the way.
I have the 1212L in standard finish. Superb gigging cab.

Frank[/quote]

Thatt'le be with two large horns then? :)

That's a good idea OG, I'm based in Nottingham, do you know of anyone with a Schroeder in the general vicinity of said crime capital?

God, and Royal Mail, willing I should be receiving my amp Monday, so popping to try out may be possible shortly.

Machinehead, SHX did inform me of such a consignment and I'm quite interested in that, I much prefer a matte surface over a furry covering.

Mark

[quote name='mcgraham' post='88875' date='Nov 15 2007, 11:53 AM']That's a good idea OG, I'm based in Nottingham, do you know of anyone with a Schroeder in the general vicinity of said crime capital?

God, and Royal Mail, willing I should be receiving my amp Monday, so popping to try out may be possible shortly.

Machinehead, SHX did inform me of such a consignment and I'm quite interested in that, I much prefer a matte surface over a furry covering.

Mark[/quote]

Ah no but pose the question in a new thread and you may find someone ....

I think Rhino covers would be better .. I like being able to velcro my cable tidies to the cab during gigs but carpet does get a tad scruffy ...