Why become a member? ×

Schroeder 1210 + ????

mcgraham

Hi all,

I'm currently in the process of getting a rig together for the first time, I know I want a Schroeder 1210R however I don't know which head would suit it!

That's where I need your help! If you have any ideas, suggestions, opinions or experiences on great high power heads that'd be sweet. I use a sound that's somewhere between hifi and vintage, plenty of mids, cutting and thick but not excessively warm. My main axes are a Geddy Lee Jazz and a Ken Smith BSR B Custom 5 string (strung with a high C). These are in quite different places in the tonal spectrum too, not entirely sure if that will affect your input much but I thought I'd mention it.

With regards preference of manufacturer, I have little long term experience of any head so there is no preference there, with regards price I don't suffer from GAS cos I never could afford to, I simply gaze in awe at beautiful instruments and the like, so as long as it has the right sound and isn't ridiculously expensive I'd give it a shot.

Let me know if you have any thoughts on what head would match this cab.

Mark

Hi Mark

I'd say go for something with an extended low end and highs...e.g. EA Iamp....I used and iAmp500 and later an iAmp800 with my 1210 and it sounded really good as the amp compensated slightly for the mid heavy cab. Not exactly vintage, but the iAmp has a great EQ that will allow you to dial in most tones. I also had good results with an Eden traveller...although I personally prefer the iAmp to the Eden amps. I would imagine that the Mark Bass LM 2 would do a very good job too.

I use a Markbass LittleMark II with my Schroeder 1212L and love it - Its very easy to dial in a lot of good sounds through the Schroeder using just the VPF (Variable Pre-shape Filter) & VLE (Vintage Loudspeaker Emulator) controls without resorting to the eq.

Of course if you did end up getting one you'd have the added bonus of having your name on the amp :)

That is indeed a good bonus! I tried out that head I believe when I was down at the gallery, I did like how that one knob could warm up the sound with just a little tweaking. EA also has intrigued me, but I've yet to try one.

The only thing that I'm confused about is power ratings as I've no idea how to match a head to a cab power wise. My understanding is that you'd want a head with a similar power rating, perhaps even slightly more to have the option of overdriving? Or should it be the opposite and have slightly less to avoid any damage to the cab?

Also, is the Little Mark II the 500 watt? I don't imagine it lacks but I'm wondering if it is worth looking to have the potential to maximally exploit the power of the Schroeder should I choose to.

Mark

Hi Mark,

I used to have a 1210R (and now have a 1212L) and they're superb cabs for gigging with. I used to power the 1210 with an Ashdown ABM 300 - I actually really liked the tone I got from that, especially when the cab was being driven a bit (very tight punchy lows - something I wouldn't normally associate with Ashdown gear...).

Currently I'm using an EA iAmp 800 - And it seems to work very well, - generally I run it absolutely flat and adjust EQ from my bass. I've tried other amps through the cab, and used to own an Eden (WT400) - a very, very nice amp - but I thought didn't really suit the cab that well and made the bass sound a little bit 'boingy' or 'Rubbery' - I'm guessing that it's because the Schroeder has a low mid hump, as does the Eden and it was all a little bit too much low mid (however, the enhance knob helped a bit). The iAmp has a very flexible EQ section, so I can pretty much dial in any sort of sound that I want.

I've not tried a Mark Bass head through it yet - though I've heard some good reports from people who have.

As for amp power; the cab is very, very loud (mid hump again) and doesn't require very many watts to get very, very, very loud. My iAmp is meant to put out 800w, and that would scare the living crap out of me if I put it through the cab (and deafen the crowd!)

I wouldn't aim to purposely overdrive the cab, or you'll most likely be looking at an expensive bill for replacement speakers (as would happen with any other cab!)

Rich

Thanks for the input.

I'd been wanting to check out Schroeder cabs for a while and then I dep'd for a friends band and was offered the use of the regular bass players rig which was a Mesa Boogie something 2000? I think? The tubes were a bit old and as such I erred on the solid state side of the amp. I was thrilled with the power and yes it does go exceedingly loud! My thoughts were to replicate that rig that I liked and work from there although that could prove to be an ultimately long and expensive wait sifting through for sale ads to check out various heads.

Anyway, I'm taken with that mid hump as it has that sound that I've been looking for, solid punch with clarity and definition that lets you be felt but without just being an overwhelming low response.

Looks like EA are getting a solid plug here...

Mark

I use a 1212L with a Markbass LM II. More volume than I can ever need. Never have the volume above 9.00 to 10.00 o'clock and the headroom is enormous.

I love the combination and the added bonus of the light weight is worth thinking about.

As always though, it's best to try before you buy.

Frank

[quote name='51m0n' post='80885' date='Oct 29 2007, 05:34 PM']Markbass SA450, the additional sweepable eq would give you more control over that mid-hump - someday you might not want it there.

As for volume, its as loud as an Eden WT800 (some say louder on TB) so that really shouldn't be an issue![/quote]

Indeed - anything with a parametric type EQ should do the job. To flatten the sound out a bit (low volume practice with guitars etc.... when the mid hump makes it sound a bit 'boxy') I cut around 300hz, and add a little bit around 1k. Then Bass and Treble to taste. "Nice bass tone - Done!", as Mr Ramsay would say.

Rich

[quote name='mcgraham' post='80722' date='Oct 29 2007, 11:06 AM']That is indeed a good bonus! I tried out that head I believe when I was down at the gallery, I did like how that one knob could warm up the sound with just a little tweaking. EA also has intrigued me, but I've yet to try one.

[b]The only thing that I'm confused about is power ratings as I've no idea how to match a head to a cab power wise. My understanding is that you'd want a head with a similar power rating, perhaps even slightly more to have the option of overdriving? Or should it be the opposite and have slightly less to avoid any damage to the cab?
[/b]
Also, is the Little Mark II the 500 watt? I don't imagine it lacks but I'm wondering if it is worth looking to have the potential to maximally exploit the power of the Schroeder should I choose to.

Mark[/quote]

With a cab like the Schroeder I wouldn't worry too much about putting too many watts into it. You'll likely as not be bleeding from the ears way before you need to worry about the drivers complaining, just don't use too few watts and drive the amp into clipping.

[quote name='warwickhunt' post='80941' date='Oct 29 2007, 07:08 PM']With a cab like the Schroeder I wouldn't worry too much about putting too many watts into it. You'll likely as not be bleeding from the ears way before you need to worry about the drivers complaining, just don't use too few watts and drive the amp into clipping.[/quote]

The man speaks the truth - Wise words indeed. :-)

Rich

Thanks for the input guys, it's much appreciated.

I'm glad to hear that there's not quite as much science to matching power ratings as I thought. Like you say, Schroeders are very very very loud and I'm likely to be bleeding from the ears (I found that comment highly amusing) before I get close to causing the cab damage from too many watts. Although it's not a matter of always needing that power, I feel that it'd be nice to KNOW i have access to it... should I wish to cause any cranial haemorraghes... :) Shouldn't waste it, there are deprived kids in Africa who'd be happy to have those leftover watts....

Markbass vs EA at present, I'd been leaning towards Markbass in the summer when I saw the F1 and was blown away by it's size. Now that I know that the sort of power it puts out would be more than adequate I may look into that.

Mark

[quote name='mcgraham' post='81032' date='Oct 29 2007, 09:50 PM']Funny you should mention that as the guy whose rig I played through is planning to sell his current head to get a Thunderfunk. Bassjamm's rig uses one too. Just need to hear it in conjunction with a Schroeder to know if it fits!

Mark[/quote]

We all have different ideas of sonic 'goodness' but I tried my TF with WoT's Schroeder and it was great!

ohhhh.....a thunderfunk...that sounds like a good idea! I have just ordered a new Shro 410L (it's somewhere in the middle of the Atlantic now according to Shaun from SX music)....I sold my old 410R to Andy here on the forum. Then it got sold on a couple of times and every time I saw it up for sale I almost bought it back! So....I'm toying with the idea of getting another head for that cab...or a pre/poweramp combo but haven't had the time to think about it properly...somehting different to the iAmp I guess……not sure what though……..I read somewhere that Jorg himself prefer Aguilar DB750’s with his cabs……so much gear, so little time (and dosh)

[quote name='carlosfandango' post='81066' date='Oct 29 2007, 11:30 PM']I sold my old 410R to Andy here on the forum.[/quote]

That was the best sounding cab I've had, especially with my LM2, just a shame it was a tad heavy. Now a 410 light, on the other hand......... oh oh! incoming GAS!! :)

Hmm, I've never really looked into Aguilar stuff, but if Jorg does it it must be right! I too have been interested in perhaps a pre/poweramp combination as I tend to go through amplification (PA or otherwise) flat. Any additional eqing I've always done on an 'floormounted' eq. Plus Dood and all the boys at TB are raving about powersoft amps, I'll maybe have to look into all of the above!

Good thing I know what cab I want, otherwise this could've got very complex and expensive very VERY quickly.

Mark

hiya marky mark,

glad you enjoyed the rig. I hear you did a good job filling in for me ;-)

It was indeed a m2000 head - and nothing wrong with those valves!

You've got me thinking about getting one of Jorgs light cabs - in which case you've got first dibs on the 1210
hopefully see you soon
Graham

Hey Graham!

Glad to hear there were good reports floating round afterwards then :) those were Tim's words not mine!

Cheers for first dibs man, could do with keeping a few extra quid in the old bankie, let me know when/if you're going to move the whole rig on either in parts or wholly as it's a good starting point for working out what rig I should ultimately end up with.

How's the wife and new born? Did everything go smoothly?

Mark

If its any help to any of you guys, theres a 1210L on ebay, right now, BIN £450. I'd've had it myself but I'm jumping on the BFM bandwagon! heres the link [url="http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&rd=1&item=280167592759&ssPageName=STRK:MEWA:IT&ih=018"]http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?Vie...A:IT&ih=018[/url]
Good Luck!
Andy

You'll have to let us know how (or me at least) how you get on with the BFM's - It's something I've been contemplating for a little while - seeing as you'll have experience of the little Schroes and the bigger ones, I'd be fascinated to hear what you make of them. Which one (s) are you going for?

Rich

hi Rich, how are you, mate? I'm going for the Omni 10, but I'm cheating in that Steve (thumper) is building it for me. I have the plans, though and I intend to have a crack at a couple of Omni 10.5's when time/space considerations allow. It will certainly be an interesting comparison

Sorry for the hijack! :)

back on topic - BUY THAT BLOODY 1210L!!!!! :huh:

Oh man, you have no idea how tempting that is, particularly as its an even better price point than a new 1210R. However despite being able to afford it, I am not gigging at present so it would be better to wait and get it at a more practical though less opportune time. Thanks for pointing it out tho, I reckon Graham may be on that like velcro crops on alien spaceships...provided they have the corresponding strip of velcro!

Mark