Why become a member? ×

My fiendish plan

Deep Thought

Ok forgive me if this is a silly question, I was never any good at this sort of stuff. I have two combos, an Ashdown Mag 300 4x 10, and a Trace Elliot 7215 SMC 1 x 15, which was originally intended to replace the Ashdown. However since I still have both here to hand, I have hatched the plan of hooking them up together to give me some more wallop onstage. Both are 300 watt (although I'm told the Trace only produces 200 through the onboard speaker and 300 when a cab is used, although there's no mention of that in the manual) and both take a minimum 4 ohm cab. Can I do this, how exactly, and is there any disadvantage other than the obvious weight/size issues? Thanks.

[quote name='Deep Thought' post='80553' date='Oct 28 2007, 07:43 PM']Ok forgive me if this is a silly question, I was never any good at this sort of stuff. I have two combos, an Ashdown Mag 300 4x 10, and a Trace Elliot 7215 SMC 1 x 15, which was originally intended to replace the Ashdown. However since I still have both here to hand, I have hatched the plan of hooking them up together to give me some more wallop onstage. Both are 300 watt (although I'm told the Trace only produces 200 through the onboard speaker and 300 when a cab is used, although there's no mention of that in the manual) and both take a minimum 4 ohm cab. Can I do this, how exactly, and is there any disadvantage other than the obvious weight/size issues? Thanks.[/quote]
Both the Ashdwon and the Trace will be ~200W into the 8ohm internal speakers, 300W into a 4ohm load. So to ge tthem both operating at 300W you'd need two extention cabs anyway. However, using them both at 8ohms will already be increasing your air movement so will certainly help!

To link 'em together, take the line out from one and stick it into the input of the other. Or split the signal before the amps... Have fun, should sound nice :)

[quote name='jimbartlett' post='80853' date='Oct 29 2007, 04:26 PM']Check out the link I've put here. She runs 3 different rigs and uses a line select pedal to split her signal. Simple but effective idea!

[url="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=d6HbKRkPnpA"]Amy's Bass World - Rickenbacker and Rig (Part 3)[/url][/quote]
Cool Clip. Clatter are Great.

Edited by Jean-Luc Pickguard

Many thanks for all the advice chaps-unfortunately this was the result, through nobody's fault but mine:-

[url="http://basschat.co.uk/index.php?showtopic=7833"]http://basschat.co.uk/index.php?showtopic=7833[/url]

What I did I'm still not sure, I wasn't as careful as I should have been. Didn't seem to be getting much out of the 4 x 10 by using the line out method, so started fooling around with the speaker outputs in a haphazard and ill-considered fashion hoping for an improvement, and knackered both amps in so doing. I know you're all far more sensible types than me so would never be daft enough to do this sort of thing, but if not then learn from my mistake-I certainly have.

Edited by Deep Thought

Sorry to hear that man. Have you since tried using a splitter pedal (such as [url="http://www.dolphinmusic.co.uk/page/shop/flypage/product_id/19329"]A/B/Both Pedal[/url])? I am going to give it a go at my next rehearsal myself. I am going to run a Fender Guitar amp combo along with my Bass head/cab. I played through the Fender at the weekend and got a really cool overdrive. Using it along with my Bass rig it should hopefully sound cool!

I wouldn't dare attempt anything similar again! In all honesty I can get by perfectly well with the Trace, for the size of venue we're playing. We usually get complaints that we're too loud anyway! I'm holding the Ashdown in reserve to use as a part-ex for an extension cab, probably a 4 x 10. My fiendish plan for World domination is then to get a head (LMII is the current favourite) to go with the 4 x 10, and move away from the combo scenario altogether. That's if I ever get my hands on some money, which currently seems like a long way away.