Why become a member? ×

PA support

niceguyhomer

My band's moving more and more towards DIing at every gig, which is great news now that I've just spent £309 on a second cab I probably don't need. Anyway, what's the best thing to do DI wise? I have a Tapco DI box I paid £30 for - bought for emergencies and at the moment I DI directly from my GK1001RBII. My tutor suggested getting a preamp/DI thing - probably a Sadowsky or EBS Microbass but is it going to be better than what I use now soundwise?

Edited by niceguyhomer

I knew you'd show up WOT :) - I feel a purchase coming on and I've been looking at the EBS for some time now - I know how impressed you are with it. We did a showcase yesterday and had a band meeting shortly after. We're going to cut down the backline and put everything through the PA.

In an ideal world, a lightweight 2x10 combo and the EBS would be just the job but I think I'm stuck with my GK rig for now on account that you can't sell anything at the moment.

The EBS Microbass is great. I used to use the built-in DI on my Aguilar pre but I've decided to only use that in the studio now. Live I plug out of one of the line-outs on the Aguilar into the EBS.

Another good thing about the EBS is that it actually runs on phantom power - forget worrying about potential damage to your amp or potential battery failure. And if one of the valves in my Aguilar blows, then I can also run the EBS into my power amp and cabs.

[quote name='niceguyhomer' post='81773' date='Oct 31 2007, 03:41 PM']I've ordered one off Bernie Goodfellow - hoping to have it by the weekend. Then you'll get bombarded with homerposts cos I don't know how to work the thing. I don't even know what phantom power is. :)[/quote]

You'll not regret it.

Quick tip - be VERY subtle when cutting/boosting. Set everything flat, and take it from there.

I usually run mine flat, with both channels summed, with a bit of drive, the enhance filter engaged and the treble rolled back (which boosts the mids a little).

mmmmmmmmmmmmm!