Why become a member? ×

Mistakes

Owen

• 3 weeks later...

For bass mistakes here's one I posted elsewhere - Tears of a Clown; Bob Babbitt drops it on the entry to the last verse, about 2.08 in, after the words 'Just like..'. Keeps it going in time but is a tone out. (Check the 'UK' version of this otherwise you'' get Henderson's US version, such messy playing when compared).

For other sorts of things you can hear Hendrix coughing and clearing his throat just before he starts singing Purple Haze

For a drumming laugh, the during Baba O'Reilly on the 'Kids are Alright' Keith breaks into the 'Don't Cry' bit a bar early, then carried on too long into it (around 2.00 in).

There's loads of Beatles clangers, for example Macca loses count completely in the playout of All You Need is Love, but then its all part of the show with that sort of thing.

(Not forgetting the well documented 'Oh Sh*t' halfway through Louie Louie!)

For mistakes, almost anything live by the Grateful Dead (and there's an awful lot of that on record!), but then as Phil Lesh said mistakes are just opportunities to do something creative in improvised music, and I tolerate a lot of errors for a few sublime moments.

For perfection versus inspiration, Karen Carpenter v Janis Joplin. There can be something elegant and calming about a warm perfectionism, but there's also something exciting and energizing about flying on the edge.

When I've been trying to learn covers the sort of "errors" quoted in this thread often seem to me to introduce a bit of creative variety into what would otherwise be run of the mill.

Given the way a lot of early session work was done it's not surprising that "boundaries", like verse - chorus transitions, provide great opportunities for train crashes. What's so impressive is the rate of recovery or "blending in" that is done. I suppose when recording time meant money it's not so surprising that so much slipped through or was ignored.

Any really good song, tune, arrangement has the power to rise above mere human frailty.

[quote name='stinson' post='741450' date='Feb 10 2010, 08:56 PM']There is a Light by The Smiths, arguably one of the most beautiful songs ever written but I'm sure Rourkey causes at lease two fluffs at 0.11 and 2.07. For god sake if you love this song, ignore this as it will drive you insane![/quote]

One of my all time fave Smiths songs, but I can't for the life of me hear mistakes at those points. That's not to say they're not there - just that I can't hear them...

• 2 weeks later...

[quote name='Duarte' post='741294' date='Feb 10 2010, 06:41 PM']Bedouin Soundclash - when the night feels my song.

Fantastic song and band, but awfully out of tune harmonies at the end...it's cringe worthy.

[url="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VlsBPH8O7q8"]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VlsBPH8O7q8[/url] at 2:57ish[/quote]

Heh. Their records sound like the demos our guitarist sends us from his little digital multi. Never really paid them any attention before, they're good. :)

• 1 year later...
Guest McBass

[quote name='Vibrating G String' post='764686' date='Mar 5 2010, 04:52 AM']Right at 4:40

[/quote]

Punk Jazz dude...! :)

[quote name='Count Bassy' post='729821' date='Jan 30 2010, 05:14 PM']To continue my previous theme:

Do these 'mistakes' matter? would Maggie May have sold anymore copies if it had a 'Correct' bass line? (probably not), would have sold less copies and be less memorable ? (Possibly).

Does playing a C where it 'should' be a C# really matter as long as it works (or even adds something) in the context of the song?

And surely pushing and pulling the timing is part of what brings music alive and gives it swing or whatever.

Music is an art, not a science. It may have 'rules' but , unlike the laws of physics, but they can be broken and bent, and who cares as long as the result is pleasing to at least someone.[/quote]

Big +1.

[quote name='4000' post='1224283' date='May 8 2011, 05:11 PM']Big +1.[/quote]

As I'm sure I have said somewhere in this thread, I totally agree. However, being able to spot a bad edit is kind of useful for a budding engineer and if the guitar had been tuned before the take, it cannot hurt :)

[quote name='OldGit' post='729337' date='Jan 30 2010, 12:33 AM']+1 Love the bass on Maggie may. Noodling is good.[/quote]

+another 1

It gives the whole song a loose sort of feel but without it ever actually falling apart. Far less 'clinical' than a lot of really tight stuff that's perfectly bang-on all the time. A lot of the Faces stuff seemed to be like that; not to everyone's taste I suppose, but I love it.

I gota agree with a previous post, not all mistakes are bad though, sorta make the tune....

....I love the sound of 'someone' sliding there pinkies up 'n down a fretboard on this one by Matt.....more noticeable from 0:20 intro in?