Why become a member? ×

Think I've just blown at least 1 speaker in my GK neo 212 - Advice Needed

Jateca

[quote name='stevie' post='750674' date='Feb 19 2010, 06:14 AM']Very good, MIJ! :) Let me just say that sometimes a bit of bah humbug is sorely needed around here!

Oh dear, you seem to have dropped your rattle. Allow me :rolleyes:[/quote]

[quote name='stevie' post='728798' date='Jan 29 2010, 10:24 AM']Push the cone in using even pressure all round and listen for the coil scraping behind the dustcap. If you smelled burning, it's likely that the driver is damaged.
I've just noticed that MIJ has already suggested this. [url="http://basschat.co.uk/index.php?showtopic=75327&view=findpost&p=728798"]Still, great minds and all that[/url] .....[/quote]

From one "cretin" to another. :lol:

• 1 month later...

Just a quick revival of this thread. It finally looks like I'll be getting my speaker back reconed. I'm very aware that is has been more than a month since I sent it off and I intend to post a report on how well it works and also the service provided by Wembley Speakers.

First though there is more faffing to do since apparently Wembley have posted the wrong speaker to me, meaning I'm going to have to ship it back to them as soon as it arrives. Without going into too much detail yet, this is fairly in line with the service I have received so far.

[quote name='stevie' post='744313' date='Feb 13 2010, 09:51 PM']What hostility? I just have a low opinion of much of what seems to pass for advice on that list. The thread discussing your problem absolutely confirms that. Glad to hear you're looking at the reconing option.[/quote]

Hi I would just like to say that B-String is one of the best contributers on any bass forum. Well respected on the GK forum and a very helpful and knowledgable guy. He really knows about GK kit. Also I'm pretty sure a replacement driver from Polar audio would not have cost much more than a Wembley recone. When you eventually get it back, if you are not happy with it Pm me and I may be able to get you one at trade plus postage. A couple years ago I had to replace my 15" GK combo driver, it cosy me £92. Good luck.

Also, it is just as likely to be able to damage a speaker with an under powered amp. An overdriven power output stage and clipping are driver killers.

Edited by gelfin

[quote name='gelfin' post='806655' date='Apr 14 2010, 10:45 PM']Hi I would just like to say that B-String is one of the best contributers on any bass forum. Well respected on the GK forum and a very helpful and knowledgable guy. He really knows about GK kit.[/quote]

B-String: "Yes G-K makes their own drivers".

[quote name='gelfin' post='806655' date='Apr 14 2010, 10:45 PM']Hi I would just like to say that B-String is one of the best contributers on any bass forum. Well respected on the GK forum and a very helpful and knowledgable guy. He really knows about GK kit. Also I'm pretty sure a replacement driver from Polar audio would not have cost much more than a Wembley recone. When you eventually get it back, if you are not happy with it Pm me and I may be able to get you one at trade plus postage. A couple years ago I had to replace my 15" GK combo driver, it cosy me £92. Good luck.

Also, it is just as likely to be able to damage a speaker with an under powered amp. An overdriven power output stage and clipping are driver killers.[/quote]

The cheapest I could find a replacement speaker was on Thomann.de for £125 (143 euro). Polar audio's quote was considerably more than that (I forget the exact amount but I remember it being about the same as buying half a new speaker cab). This was over a month ago so my memory is a little hazy.

Thank you for the offer of getting it on trade, but hopefully I will not need to do that. We will see.

Finally, I understand that the idea of damaging a speaker cab by underpowering it was a myth (my current cab is the neo 412, rated at 1200w rms at 4 ohm, but the most powerful amp GK makes is rated by them at 1080w rms at 4ohm, so underpowering would seem inevitable with GK gear, if it was an actual problem)

Overdriven power amp I can understand, though I never turned the master up past like 2 o'clock before the problem happened.

I use 2 1x12 neos and popped one, thomman too dear and complicated as there was a warrantee issue and couldnt sort it unless I returned the cab to germany...oh dear!, polar as much use as a turd and over priced and novice to the gk scene, bob gallien and his team suck, many e mails and got nowhere, as it was still in warranty, so I put a 300w celestion neo in it at £74, the two cabs sound the same, job done, get on with gigging, I love gk but hate their attitude and aftersales outside the us.