Why become a member? ×

Wedding Enquiry

yorks5stringer

It's the old overpayment scam but not once yet has he discussed/confirmed with me the venue ( am I being picky?)

"Thanks for your reply and assistance so far. I got the total cost for the booking and I will like to proceed with the booking asap. So, please I need you to charge the total amount of £11,000 + processing fees on my card, then deduct £5000 for the booking and send the balance of £6000 to my fiance. She needs it to make other arrangements for the weeding as she is out of money. I will provide my her information later when you have charged the credit card and confirm the money. Please, i will like to hear from you soon as i am very busy with work and making other necessary arrangements for the weeding. If this can be arranged let me know so i can give you a call and process it over the phone.

Thanks
James Langdon"

I'm going to give him the local Police contact number as my number......

Edited by yorks5stringer

[quote name='TheFortyFives' post='724548' date='Jan 25 2010, 08:54 PM']Hi there, just signed up to the forum to let you know that this is a scam. I've had identical emails sent to me over the past couple of days. Might be worth letting everyone else on the forum know about this, and likewise, any other musicians you know to prevent them from getting ripped off by this "James Langdon" fellow.

Andy
The Forty Fives
www.thefortyfives.co.uk[/quote]

had this when I was selling my dinghy... guy wanted to send me a cheque for way over the price of the boat (and sight unseen as well) and expected me to wire the difference minus some £300 for my trouble to his shipper/handler.

A lot of the work from home job offers are trying to recruit people to be the handlers of the money as well... dead dodgy when they expect you to use your own bank account and telephone and mail address to process their money orders etc. through.

When I pointed out he would have been better booking a more local band, he has come back to me and insisted "the Mitchell House and Garden, 421 North Lake Drive, Lexington, SC." is in the UK!

I have explained to him SC means South Carolina, and Lexington is nowhere near Yorkshire.......just to add to his confusion, I have said I contacted the venue and they have no record of his booking so he had better find a new venue fast, I'm sure I could find a venue in Yorkshire!

Edited by yorks5stringer

Scambaiting is a fairly well-developed sport in its own right: [url="http://www.thescambaiter.com/"]http://www.thescambaiter.com/[/url]

The sad thing is that these scams must work on enough people to make it worthwhile and, of course, the web makes it easier to send out such scams to loads of people at virtually no cost.

If he's asking you to charge the cc £11,000 and send him £5,000 back it's obviously not his cc. He's got someone elses card details and is scamming them as well as you. And guess whose door the cops will turn up at - it won't be his.
Scumbags like these do rely on people being both greedy AND stupid. It's great that you're stringing him out and having a laugh at his expense.

This could be the guy [url="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=92qs6lRx014"]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=92qs6lRx014[/url]