Why become a member? ×

Ashdown mini cabs

Marky L

In the search for upgrading, yet making things drastically lighter (and also on a tight budget), I was thinking about getting a couple of the Ashdown mini cabs (second hand would be a teat). A 4x8 and a 1x15 was one idea but I was wondering if anyoe here has used them and what they think?

The limited budget is a strangling my options a bit otherwise I'd aim for the neo cabs of some sorts, maybe I stll will later on, but for now these mini's look possible.

Any views greatly appreciated.

M

(Problem is, I'm angling for a MIJ Precision too!!)

I ran two Mini 15's, then a Mini 15 and a Mini 48 for a couple of years. They're fine for the size.

I did notice that the point where they ran out of steam a little, was noticeable lower than many cabs, but... that's to be expected because of their size. It didn't happen very often.

[quote name='wateroftyne' post='80158' date='Oct 27 2007, 04:21 PM']I ran two Mini 15's, then a Mini 15 and a Mini 48 for a couple of years. They're fine for the size.

I did notice that the point where they ran out of steam a little, was noticeable lower than many cabs, but... that's to be expected because of their size. It didn't happen very often.[/quote]

Yeah, the 8's and a 15 in combination makes sense in my head. I have tried lifting a 15 and it was fine. Also the size is good (might not be so imposing on stage though!) but I did wonder where the compromise would be, so it's the "running out of steam" worry, but it's for small pub/club/party stuff currently. I can always change later on.

Thanks for the advice everyone. Oh, I'll be aiming for second hand made in UK ones. A local dealer noted that the build quality of the Chinese made cabs (amps too) is really not up to standard.

M

I use a Mini 48 on its own half the time, and with a Mini 15 all the other time, and they're great. Obviously not going to kick ass like a 4x12 or a an 8x10 would, but still nice and gutsy and tight with great tone IMO. I use it with an ABM EVO II 500, i'm not sure if its all UK or not, i purchased them about 4 years ago, and the shop had maybe had them for 6months-1 year. How would i find out?

The 1x15 is pretty light, but the 4x8 is considerably heavier, i think the newer models are lighter though

Si

p.s.
I've never had any problems with any of the Ashdown stuff, nothing that couldn't be sorted in 5 mins (loose knobs etc)

Edited by Sibob

Does anyone know of a 4x8 for sale for a good price? (Steve's is not available now unfortunately).

I'd prefer UK made, but I'm open.

Ta

M

PS Matty, could you let me have the email addy of the guy that makes those cabs pls. Could be an option.

[quote name='BeLow' post='80566' date='Oct 28 2007, 10:23 PM']I may have my speaker up for sale in a while - just need to evaluate my omni 10.5 which I have not finished yet. Its not an Ashdown but it is pretty much the British spec.

[/quote]

Can i baggsy it if Marky doesn't want it.

Will get you the e-mail address as soon as i find it...

Edited by Matty