Why become a member? ×

Vintage MIJ (formerly J@pCr@p) Spotting

Bassassin

[quote name='chaypup' post='1155284' date='Mar 9 2011, 01:29 PM']Thanks Jon, fixed it now.

By the way, It has the "Steel Adjustable Neck" plate that you mentioned.[/quote]
Yep - that's a Matski alright - very close relative of the [url="http://basschat.co.uk/index.php?showtopic=57034"]Epiphone ET280[/url], in fact the same bass with a different headstock & paintjob. These were also sold under the Aria brand, and they date to the early 70s.

J.

[quote name='Happy Jack' post='1154906' date='Mar 9 2011, 08:35 AM']Tino, do you not feel that your eBay listing should mention that this is a shortscale bass?[/quote]
It will in a minute.....
However I think it likely that the winner will be the lad thats been looked and has placed his bids...he knows what it is...
A Few minutes Passed and it was done...
Tell me how many guitars do you see where the scale length is in the text.FEW.......I guess I just take it that a buyer either knows or does their homework...

T

Edited by tino

[quote name='tino' post='1155589' date='Mar 9 2011, 05:04 PM']Tell me how many guitars do you see where the scale length is in the text.FEW.......I guess I just take it that a buyer either knows or does their homework...

T[/quote]
Fair point but most basses are 34" - 30-inchers are uncommon (ooer missus etc) and it's sometimes not immediately obvious from pics. With a bass like yours it's a specific uncommon feature & worth a mention.

J.

[quote name='Bassassin' post='1155632' date='Mar 9 2011, 05:44 PM']Fair point but most basses are 34" - 30-inchers are uncommon (ooer missus etc) and it's sometimes not immediately obvious from pics. With a bass like yours it's a specific uncommon feature & worth a mention.

J.[/quote]
Cos I spend most of the time conversing with ones good self,I naturally assume everyone else knows everything also :)

ITS ADDED AND IN LARGE PRINT

[quote name='tino' post='1155589' date='Mar 9 2011, 05:04 PM']It will in a minute.....
However I think it likely that the winner will be the lad thats been looked and has placed his bids...he knows what it is...
A Few minutes Passed and it was done...
Tell me how many guitars do you see where the scale length is in the text.FEW.......I guess I just take it that a buyer either knows or does their homework...

T[/quote]

You've sold many guitars then? :)

[quote name='LukeFRC' post='1156363' date='Mar 10 2011, 10:53 AM']look what i picked up yesterday, complete with the most evil bridge man has ever made
cimar jazz bass 1908ash model.[/quote]
How is it?

My first guitar was a Cimar (still have most of it lying about here somewhere awaiting a revamp :)) it was ropey at best.

[quote name='Jerry_B' post='1156366' date='Mar 10 2011, 10:54 AM']Tasty - although you may want to take down the photo with your wallet in it... :)[/quote]

done!

and it is surprisingly good. I bought it in the end as it was funt to play, the neck is good. it has flats on at the moment and does the old school thumpy flats sound really well. surprisingly well really. it put rounds on it soon and see what its like. needs new bridge and tuners i think

Edited by LukeFRC

[quote name='LukeFRC' post='1156363' date='Mar 10 2011, 10:53 AM']look what i picked up yesterday, complete with the most evil bridge man has ever made
cimar jazz bass 1908 ash model.[/quote]

Much as I liked the 1908 Cimars, they'd improved a lot by 1912. They could have been great if World War One hadn't started ...

Good score Luke, that will scrub up nicely. It's identical to the one I had apart from the finish:

[attachment=74442:fullF.jpg]

[quote]Much as I liked the 1908 Cimars, they'd improved a lot by 1912. They could have been great if World War One hadn't started ...[/quote]
Most people tend to assume that the years between the start of the Great War & the end of the Second World War actually brought about the demise of Cimar. The truth is that while they never regained the prestige of the pre-war era, the company continued - as a Workers' Co-operative, in the hands of a small but passionately dedicated team of craftsmen & militant Trotskyites. [url="http://www.ibanez.co.jp/anniversary/14/6.jpg"]It's widely accepted that they reached the peak of their output by the mid 1960s.[/url]

J.

cimar jazz bass 1908ash model.[/quote]

Nice score. :)
I had a 1908 too, up until a short while ago. They're nice jazz basses. Swapped the bridge on mine out for one of those no-name high mass ones & changed the pickups for some cheap Seymour Duncan designed JB-1's from a Squier VMJ, which were an improvement. Have a love/hate thing for jazz basses, so sold it to a German guy for a good price, though wish I still had it sometimes - it was a cracking bass!

[attachment=74464:Jazzm_008.JPG] [attachment=74465:Jazzm_007.JPG]

Edited by nick

[quote name='nick' post='1155876' date='Mar 9 2011, 09:28 PM']You've sold many guitars then? :P[/quote]
Somewhere between 1 and infinity :lol:
Unfortunately MrsT has decided my studio AKA the loft will double up very nicely to provide a larger sleeping area with ensuite,I would rather she kipped in the shed though :D
Anywayguitars.
after much deliberation we are agreed I can keep a maximum of 20 .....
Ive opted for 2012 a number she fails to comprehend or recognise,wont someone please tell her this is an actual recognised number and not me being greedy :)
Shes even started on my amps to and half of them live in a lock up.................WILL IT EVER END :)

[quote name='Bassassin' post='1156646' date='Mar 10 2011, 02:13 PM']Good score Luke, that will scrub up nicely. It's identical to the one I had apart from the finish:

[attachment=74442:fullF.jpg]

Most people tend to assume that the years between the start of the Great War & the end of the Second World War actually brought about the demise of Cimar. The truth is that while they never regained the prestige of the pre-war era, the company continued - as a Workers' Co-operative, in the hands of a small but passionately dedicated team of craftsmen & militant Trotskyites. [url="http://www.ibanez.co.jp/anniversary/14/6.jpg"]It's widely accepted that they reached the peak of their output by the mid 1960s.[/url]

J.[/quote]

is the body on your one ply?

Billy Sheehan's favourite [url="http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/Matsumoku-Vox-Custom-Bass-Project-Spares-Repair-/320669563833?pt=UK_Musical_Instruments_Guitars_CV&hash=item4aa9653bb9"]Vox[/url]

A Teisco that might actually be one: [url="http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/Bass-guitar-Top-Twenty-1970s-Teisco-/280642299111?pt=UK_Musical_Instruments_Guitars_CV&hash=item415795a4e7"]Top Twenty[/url]

And a proper [url="http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/Ibanez-Roadster-Bass-Series-Guitar-/170613815793?pt=UK_Musical_Instruments_Guitars_CV&hash=item27b96039f1"]Ibanez Roadster[/url]. Much nicer than the Ibenez copy.

Edited by spinynorman

[quote name='spinynorman' post='1157344' date='Mar 10 2011, 10:25 PM']Billy Sheehan's favourite [url="http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/Matsumoku-Vox-Custom-Bass-Project-Spares-Repair-/320669563833?pt=UK_Musical_Instruments_Guitars_CV&hash=item4aa9653bb9"]Vox[/url][/quote]
"Also it is magical and used to belong to James Bond."

:)