Why become a member? ×

Vintage MIJ (formerly J@pCr@p) Spotting

Bassassin

27 minutes ago, Paul S said:

Lotus through neck, looks nice - £150 start -anyone know about these?

clicky

Interesting - never seen one of these in the UK before. Lotus was a US-only brand so someone's imported it here. Firstly it's not MIJ - these are Korean, made by Cort. Check out the sexy brass triple-dot inlays - identical to the Cort-made, Kay-branded double cut basses & guitars that frequently turn up. Cort made a variety of body styles based around the same neck-through basis & they all feature this fretboard.

Confusingly, this is actually a Korean copy of a Japanese copy of a Japanese made Washburn original. In the early 80s Moridaira made a range of very good guitars & basses which were direct copies of models from the Washburn Wing range - these appeared branded as Hohner, Morris, and in the US, Lotus. It seems that when Moridaira ceased manufacture of these, Lotus' brand owner contracted Cort to build similar instruments based on the same design. II'm not as yet aware of these Cort Wings being sold under other brands, but have seen several Lotuses, both guitar & bass versions.

Quite relieved it's not a P/J, might be sorely tempted to take a punt if it was!

• Thanks 1

Thanks Jon.  I knew you'd know!   I do like these double cutaway basses and still miss my boat anchor Scavenger. 

The best thing about only playing 5 string basses now is that temptation like these last three is so much easier to ignore.  My 5ers might have been expensive, but think of all the money I've saved on impulse buys!  :) 

• 3 weeks later...

Brutally expensive unfortunately - these (under about 15 different brands) usually go for around £150.

Nothing to do with Matsumoku although the jury's out among MIJ aficionados who the guilty party was. A version of this appears branded Fernandes, a brand apparently made by Kawai and Tokai Gakki at different times. I think the construction & some of the detail looks like Kasuga.

Really nice-looking basses, would be very tempted to grab one at a decent price. Although I should know better - I've had way too many neck-heavy, symmetrical body, single-P Japanese basses already!

On 11/04/2018 at 12:00, ash said:

It should!

Been on before & had a thread of its own back in January:

https://www.basschat.co.uk/topic/318773-double-edge-ibanez-musician-copy-£295/

Looks like an alt account from the same seller - price dropped to something far more reasonable (still about £50 over the odds IMO) but the same apparent inability to read plain English.

Quite a cool bass, might be a bit more tempted if it was P/J.

• ped unpinned this topic
  • 2 weeks later...
  • 4 months later...
5 hours ago, AndyTravis said:

https://en.shpock.com/i/W-CU5guOnDpYW4lW/?lft=

“Diamond”

jazz copy - £70 near derby

Related to Paul's Rickenfaker - Diamond is an Aria-related brand & a Matsumoku build, early 70s. I actually have the same bass branded Eros Mk II, unfortunately with a warped neck.

If this is decent (and no reason to think it's not) then that's a bit of a steal.

8 hours ago, Bassassin said:

Related to Paul's Rickenfaker - Diamond is an Aria-related brand & a Matsumoku build, early 70s. I actually have the same bass branded Eros Mk II, unfortunately with a warped neck.

If this is decent (and no reason to think it's not) then that's a bit of a steal.

You might recognise my latest Rickenfaker...

hsXevpY.jpg

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...
  • 5 months later...
3 hours ago, pete.young said:

That'll likely be Avon, Columbus or Grant, body's ply, necks are decent, pickups aren't great.

Like you say, sensible start price,

• 2 months later...