Why become a member? ×

Pro Player Ian KIng - Does He Ever Visit This Site?

StevieC

Dear All,

Watching the Take That musical 'Never Forget' on DVD last night (nowt on the telly!). Noticed the bass playing was nicely prominent in mix and sounding extremently good - Nice tone, very assured playing and even a long solo in one of the tracks.

The bass player was Ian King, who i'd (not surprisingly) never heard of. He doesn't appear to have his own website.

I was wondering if he posts on here or anyone knows him. It would be good to learn what it was like playing that gig, what his set up was etc. I know we've had 'Pro-playing' threads on here before, but what the heck...

Anyone help?

Steve

Edited by StevieC

• 3 weeks later...

[quote name='StevieC' post='721913' date='Jan 23 2010, 08:14 AM']Dear All,

Watching the Take That musical 'Never Forget' on DVD last night (nowt on the telly!). Noticed the bass playing was nicely prominent in mix and sounding extremently good - Nice tone, very assured playing and even a long solo in one of the tracks.

The bass player was Ian King, who i'd (not surprisingly) never heard of. He doesn't appear to have his own website.

I was wondering if he posts on here or anyone knows him. It would be good to learn what it was like playing that gig, what his set up was etc. I know we've had 'Pro-playing' threads on here before, but what the heck...

Anyone help?

Steve[/quote]

Hey all,

I noticed this thread and just thought I'd write a few lines in response..

Thanks Steve for your kind words about the 'Never Forget' DVD.. I played on the first tour of 'Never Forget' before moving onto 'Hairspray' in town in October 2007, it was only for 10 weeks but I was lucky enough to get to play on the DVD and the cast album during that time.. The tour was great fun and musically one of the better shows I've played on with a rock solid rhythm section of Chris Taggart on kit, Rob Taggart (no relation) on keys 1 and the awesome Lewis Osborne on guitar (who I'm now enjoying working with on 'Sister Act' at The Palladium)..

I was playing my fretted and fretless 5 string McIntyre basses on that one and just had a basic pedal set up with headphones (as there wasn't room up on the gantry for amps).. I think I was using a Sansamp programmable bass driver DI, an EBS unichorus for the fretless stuff, the obligatory Boss TU-2 tuner, a Boss line-switcher and a Morley Volume pedal.. All pretty simple really..

Pedal wise I'm actually much more excited about the set-up I've achieved more recently and am now using at The Palladium.. I realised that certain pedals will just sap your sound and you'll always be fighting against them unless you replace them with something more neutral sounding.. The passive Morley volume pedal was the worst culprit of this and changing it over to a Visual Sound Volume Pedal made an ENORMOUS difference and essentially completely restored the midrange that I felt I'd been losing on these shows.. Anther change I made was ditching the Boss line-switcher pedal for a Lehle 3@1 pedal, it's a true-bypass switcher with no loss of sound and is super quiet.. I also ditched the Sansamp for an EBS Microbass II which is far superior, the EBS has 2 channels, the 2nd of which is a dirtier sansamp style channel but you have the added benefit of a super clean 1st channel and a parallel blendable FX loop (great for adding subtle chorus) amongst other great features.. I also bought an Analogman modded Boss GE-7 pedal which has had some of it's components replaced with better quality ones to reduce hiss and I use that for my double bass.. Oh and I use an EBS Multicomp too..

So my set up now runs like this,

For the electric bass. Bass -> EBS Multicomp -> EBS Microbass II -> Channel 1 of Lehle 3@1 -> Visual Volume Pedal -> (tuner out into) Boss TU-2
For the double bass. Bass -> Analogman GE-7 -> Channel 2 of Lehle 3@1 -> Visual Volume Pedal -> (tuner out into) Boss TU-2
Channel 3 is spare in case I have a show with fretless as well as fretted and Upright
I've got it all mounted on a Pedaltrain 2 with a Jim Dunlop DC brick powering it all

Some might say it's overkill but it's all super quiet true-bypass stuff and it sounds killing!.. I'm not using an amp in the pit again as I'm sat very close to the string section but have had a butt-kicker attached to the underside of my chair which helps give the feel of a large amp shifting air next to you when you're actually playing away silently on headphones!

Well, I hope that answers some of your questions.. I'll endeavour to get no here more often and keep basschatting!

All the best - Ian King

• Like 2

Yup, nice to hear from another pro a bit more often! :)
And I do have a soft spot for the new Take That tunes (oh and Million Love Songs...tune).

Ian don't suppose you know who has the bass chair on Wicked at the moment?, saw it the other week, and although you don't really expect any less from pro players and written parts, the playing was excellent!

Si

*edit*
Actually I do remember looking up the name in the program at the time, but was unknown to me, should just check again when I get home haha

[quote name='Sibob' post='743003' date='Feb 12 2010, 12:45 PM']Yup, nice to hear from another pro a bit more often! :)
And I do have a soft spot for the new Take That tunes (oh and Million Love Songs...tune).

Ian don't suppose you know who has the bass chair on Wicked at the moment?, saw it the other week, and although you don't really expect any less from pro players and written parts, the playing was excellent!

Si

*edit*
Actually I do remember looking up the name in the program at the time, but was unknown to me, should just check again when I get home haha[/quote]

Hey Si,

Yes, it's Dav Lewis on bass at Wicked at the moment.. He's a great doubler and a nice chap too..

Cheers, Ian

[quote name='jezzaboy' post='722110' date='Jan 23 2010, 12:48 PM']On a sort of similsr vein, who is the guy who plays bass with Robbie Williams? He plays a cracking looking black P bass. Anyone know anything about him?

Jez[/quote]

Is it still Jerry Meehan?

[quote name='Sibob' post='743003' date='Feb 12 2010, 12:45 PM']Yup, nice to hear from another pro a bit more often! :)

Si

*edit*
Actually I do remember looking up the name in the program at the time, but was unknown to me, should just check again when I get home haha[/quote]

I saw it not long ago too, and was also very impressed, there were some great fretless bits!

• 2 years later...

Saw JCS in Nottingham on the recent tour, hadn't really appreciated how strong a voice Tim Minchin has until I saw the show. Great playing from all the pit band (maybe that should be scaffolding band?) too, always thought there were some interesting basslines in the original cast recording of JCS.

[quote name='jezzaboy' timestamp='1264250888' post='722110']
On a sort of similsr vein, who is the guy who plays bass with Robbie Williams? He plays a cracking looking black P bass. Anyone know anything about him?

Jez
[/quote]

I think that is , as Woodster says , Jerry Meehan . He was the bass player on the last series of The Voice , and I too have lusted after that beautiful black Precision Bass . He used to play with Roxy Music too.

• 2 weeks later...

[quote name='Kingbassist' timestamp='1353797617' post='1878639']
Yeah, it was Jerry Meehan.. He's off with Robbie Williams this year so Steve Pearce is doing The Voice.. Another Fab player with a never ending CV..
[/quote]
... who, coincidentally, played on the cast recording of the last reworking of JCS ('97-ish?)

• 5 years later...

Hi there,

Thought you may be interested to hear about my latest job at 'Hamilton: An American Musical' which is playing at The Victoria Palace theatre, London. It's a hip hop musical and I get to play 4 instruments on it! My main bass is my trusty Overwater 5-String Jazz bass; I also play a 4-string Lakland Hollowbody bass strung with flatwounds and played with a pic; I play my double bass with it's newly fitted 'Low C Extension' (for the super low notes needed for this style of music) and also an Artruria Keylab 25 controller keyboard for the synth bass stuff. It's a demanding show but I'm really enjoying it, and the songs written by Linn Manuel Miranda!

I'll upload a picture of my pit set-up.. It's a lot of fun!

Cheers, Ian

Hamilton London - Pit set up.jpg

• Like 4