Why become a member? ×

A serious case of the DB's

Chopthebass

It took a while coming, but my Aguilar rig is finally here! I took a chance with the cabs, being the new DB112's. I'd heard the GS equivalents and was well impressed. These are even better. Superb build quality - and not too heavy. Only one speakon on each cab though, so using three cabs I have had to resort to using a jack to jack to link two cabs, and then speakons thereafter.

The DB750 is an absolute monster. It weighs a ton, but has the tone to match. It's not naturally or artificially bright like my GK1001, but has this great underlying bass depth that the GK doesn't have. After all a bass is meant to sound bassy! You can roll the bass control to zero, and it is still a very weighty sound! After reading the thread on 'swtich-on' problems and tripping circuits, I was a bit nervous. But all was ok. I set the input to passive, even though I'm using a 55-94 bass, and could push the gain nearly to max before I got a hint of tube distortion. I guess the Laklands output isn't too high.

I've yet to use it at a gig, but so far first impressions are fantastic. Its a shame the cabs aren't about an inch or two wider so the amp doesn't hang over the edges! Or have two handles.

Here's some pics...
Cheers
Ian

[quote name='bass_ferret' post='79831' date='Oct 26 2007, 04:34 PM']Looks impressive. Dont they do a sleeve to match?[/quote]

Yep they do a head case, but no removeable front or rear cover. So I thought this is gonna protect ok. I've got a proper 3u rack case, but its gonna make it too heavy! The amp on its own already weighs as much as an epifani 410UL!!

[quote name='Bigwan' post='79958' date='Oct 26 2007, 09:50 PM']Looks great!

Definately fancy a couple of those db cabs. Maybe Bass Merchant would take my Tech 4x12 back as a trade-in...[/quote]

I'd recommend them! They've got lovely tweeters in them. They aren't neo speakers - so not as light as you'd expect.

Probably would - I've had a few inquiries in the past when I thought about selling it, but I'm nervous about posting it (I'm in Northern Ireland). I'm about to slap some money down with Jon Shuker for a 6 string and I'll want to pick it up in person, so there's a road-trip to be planned in the near future. I may swing by the bass merchant too and pick up a few db112s and head case for my ag500 (tweed all the way for me!)...

I'm pleased you went for the 750 and that there's no regrets - I started the 'switch on' thread and generated great advice. I should say that I've had no further problems, and that the 750 simply delivers fantastic tone with extraordinary power. I too use the rack bag - a suspended rack would be great for serious touring, but the 750 is pretty heavy as it is. I can also endorse your comments on brightness - there's nothing harsh in the 750, but real solidity, heft and warmth from the preamp (with no loss of dynamics or articulation).