Why become a member? ×

Is 40 watts enough to practice and jam with

sk8

[quote name='sk8' post='79651' date='Oct 26 2007, 08:33 AM']I need a practice amp anyhoo and i'm looking at a 40 watt one and wonder whther this will be enough to jam with an accoustic guitar or an epectric on a practice amp?

Thanks in advance[/quote]

Without Drums? Yeah easily. With drums? Probably not unless the drummer uses daffodils as sticks :)

[quote name='The_D' post='79652' date='Oct 26 2007, 08:37 AM']Without Drums? Yeah easily. With drums? Probably not unless the drummer uses daffodils as sticks :)[/quote]

In my last band, the 2 guitarists both played with 30W combos and were clearly audible against a drummer - that said, they sounded rubbish - there's no point cranking a small amp up unless you don't care how good you sound

[quote name='queenofthedepths' post='79654' date='Oct 26 2007, 08:42 AM']In my last band, the 2 guitarists both played with 30W combos and were clearly audible against a drummer - that said, they sounded rubbish - there's no point cranking a small amp up unless you don't care how good you sound[/quote]

Guitarists yes; there is loads of top quality valve gear at and below this wattage... bassists NO (not with drums)!

[quote name='queenofthedepths' post='79654' date='Oct 26 2007, 08:42 AM']In my last band, the 2 guitarists both played with 30W combos and were clearly audible against a drummer[/quote]
Bear in mind watts are not like for like between guitar and bass amps. Bass players often need a lot more (3 or 4 times more) that guitarists. They want distorted and overdriven high-frequencies, we want clean low ones.

The MAG is great but i'm not quite getting the sounds in my head i want out of it and most of the time i'm just playing on my own so a practice amp is cheaper to run (yes i am that tight!).

I'm selling the MAG to replace it with something else, probably a head and cab of some sort but i'm not desperate to get rid of it at any cost. I'll keep it and use it on bigger gigs until i can replace it.

As long as the practice amp can keep up with either an accoustic or a quiet electric thats fine by me. I'm not expecting to gig with it and would bre mightily impressed if it would hold its own against a drum kit, which it won't :)

[quote name='sk8' post='79802' date='Oct 26 2007, 02:52 PM']The MAG is great but i'm not quite getting the sounds in my head i want out of it and [size=5][b]most of the time i'm just playing on my own so a practice amp is cheaper to run (yes i am that tight!).[/b][/size]

I'm selling the MAG to replace it with something else, probably a head and cab of some sort but i'm not desperate to get rid of it at any cost. I'll keep it and use it on bigger gigs until i can replace it.

As long as the practice amp can keep up with either an accoustic or a quiet electric thats fine by me. I'm not expecting to gig with it and would bre mightily impressed if it would hold its own against a drum kit, which it won't :)[/quote]

Try playing without an amp at all, it will improve your technique and save you another 0.72p per hour on electricity :huh: