Why become a member? ×

I want the Bruce Foxton Sound !

jet1968

Hey Tombboy,
You got Paul correct down to every detail. A long time friend of mine, bass collector and Rep for EBS. He has tech'd for me a few times, as well as supplying some EBS gear. He took me down to meet Bernie Goodfellow in the "GB Den"

If you meet him again. Just mention the word "bass" and he'll talk for hours.... you'll probably miss the gig. haha.

Russell Hastings who is the singer for From the Jam is also a local guy.

[quote name='tombboy' post='724666' date='Jan 25 2010, 10:53 PM']Throw him an email and ask him through his official site. He's a very very approachable guy who I've met a couple of times.... the last time when we supported FTJ in December 08.
I'm sure he'd love to give you a heads up. Whilst your doing that, point him in the direction of this site. I remember mentioning it to him at the gig and he seemed very enthusiastic about checking it out. You never know..... he may be lurking! :)

His sound guy by the way is a chap called Edd Higdon who I'm good friends with (no.... it's NOT how we got the gig!!). He runs a sound production company called CSS Pro or something, based in Poole.

This is us with Bruce after the Dec gig

[/quote]

I've done a fair bit of photo work for FTJ over the last few years, I get to sit and walk about right in front of the band for the whole set. Bruce' backline bass tone is great, I should know!
I'll dig some pics out this weekend if I get chance to go though the 50 gig I got of this band!

Not sure what the future holds for FTJ since Rick Butler left last year, I'll speak to my man on the inside soon and update with any news

Tony

[quote name='sshorepunk' post='734745' date='Feb 4 2010, 08:50 AM']I've done a fair bit of photo work for FTJ over the last few years, I get to sit and walk about right in front of the band for the whole set. Bruce' backline bass tone is great, I should know!
I'll dig some pics out this weekend if I get chance to go though the 50 gig I got of this band!

Not sure what the future holds for FTJ since Rick Butler left last year, I'll speak to my man on the inside soon and update with any news

Tony[/quote]

pics would be great Tony ! :)

• 3 months later...

Hi

I`m a bit of Bruce Foxton admirer as well. Currently using a Fender US Standard precision, through a Marshall MB450 Head, into, and this is what produces the Foxton sound - a Marshall VBC412 cab, no effects.

Fantastic cab, can`t rate it highly enough. No tweeters, but the frequency response of the cab is great anyway. Has that real "chunk" in the mids. Very reasonably priced too, they`re £500-ish new.

Jam-tastic sounds all round!

[quote name='jet1968' post='718434' date='Jan 19 2010, 10:22 PM']You all know what I'm on about :) . Went to see From the Jam in Dec where he played his 57 reissue most of the time, a couple on the Ric and the Waterstone for 'Start'. According to his website, he's gone Marshall again with a VBA400 this time. He had a killer tone as always........
I would literally kill to have that tone myself and I'm getting close but I'm not getting 'that' sound I so desire.

Interested to know if any players on here think they have a similar tone, and how they went about getting it ?

for the record, my current gear :

Rick 4003
Fender P USA Tony Franklyn signature model

JMI AC100 valve head (reissue)
JMI 2 x 15 16ohm Cab (reissue of the T60 loaded with celestion greenbacks )[/quote]
What you really need is the Ibanez Rickenfaker Just Like Bruce had......it just so happens I have one for sale.....always worth a try

For me personally I can get Bruce's tone with anything.

We do Town Called Malice and I've played it With many different basses - most recently a VM Jazz fretless and I can still get it.

I have my bass setup so that if I play lightly, or normally as most would say, my bass sound sounds normal but when I dig in a bit I get a really dirty, aggressive tone - even with a fretless

Oh and I play it with fingers as well

I've got to give it plenty to get the sound right though for this tune.