Why become a member? ×

good poweramps

Archetype

Hey guys.

Im working on getting my rig setup.

Im thinking of fgoing for a BDDI, 3 settings, overdrive, and a built in DI box.
The idea is that live or rehersals i can use it as my preamp (just going to the desk, into the supplied amp for monitor only) which would be all i need.
However for home use and the occasional gig i would need a poweramp for it.

Does anyone know any good ones? The lighter the better as always.
I can see lots of poweramps, but should i be looking for anything for bass or just a general poweramp?

Thanks
G

Any type of power amp will do the job, it doesn't have to be bass-specific. Just make sure it has connections on the back you can actually use, such as speakon or 1/4" jack.

I wouldn't recommend one with banana plugs.

I'm very happy with my Eden WT1000. I also have a QSC RMX850 which is good too (even has a few extra features such as 50Hz and 30Hz filter switches). I think there are a few secondhand QSC bargains to be picked up on here from time to time.

Yamaha P5000 / P7000 for a very good workshorse with loads of functionality. Highly recommended

Powersoft / all models for superlightweight and very loud ;o) - bit pricey in comparison, but you do get what you pay for.. the very best - most of the range come in a 1u rack, from 700W up to the K20's 5000W RMS per channel ;OD.

My award for UK's best kept secret? [url="http://www.bkelec.com/Pro/Amplifiers/MXF1200D.htm"]http://www.bkelec.com/Pro/Amplifiers/MXF1200D.htm[/url]

[quote name='dood' post='79445' date='Oct 25 2007, 04:45 PM']Yamaha P5000 / P7000 for a very good workshorse with loads of functionality. Highly recommended

Powersoft / all models for superlightweight and very loud ;o) - bit pricey in comparison, but you do get what you pay for.. the very best - most of the range come in a 1u rack, from 700W up to the K20's 5000W RMS per channel ;OD.

My award for UK's best kept secret? [url="http://www.bkelec.com/Pro/Amplifiers/MXF1200D.htm"]http://www.bkelec.com/Pro/Amplifiers/MXF1200D.htm[/url][/quote]

+ 1 for the Powersoft K10!!!!

[quote name='ped' post='79451' date='Oct 25 2007, 05:08 PM']Like Dood said, the BK looks amazing. I plan on getting some of these to power the rig for me and my guitar player when we hit the road.[/quote]

I've owned a couple of BK poweramps.. literally bombproof ;o)

[quote name='crez5150' post='79454' date='Oct 25 2007, 05:13 PM']+ 1 for the Powersoft K10!!!![/quote]

Very impressed with my Powersoft.. I almost in a moment of madness thought about selling it recently. Thankfully I realsied I was an idiot.. where else are you gonna get 2kRMS in a 9Kg 1u rack?

yes, 1K per channel is excessive and not necessary.. but hey.. the cab is 1500W RMS.. may as well have the headroom for the F# string ;o)

[quote name='Archetype' post='79546' date='Oct 25 2007, 08:28 PM']Thanks for all the input, I think the powersoft is... well... lets just say out of my price range. :)[/quote]
Fair enough, but I'd say (from costly experience) that a second-hand power amp is a false economy. They perform a heavyweight role, and who knows what a used power amp has been subjected to.
My second hand QSC PLX1202 died about a month after I got it.

File second-hand power amps along with part-worn tyres, alloys from write-offs, and used child car seats. Avoid like the plague.

(At least with heads & combos, they're only likely to be connected in a simple fashion to cabinets that present a relatively straightforward load. Power amps can be used for all sorts of applications)

[quote name='Buzz' post='80597' date='Oct 28 2007, 11:53 PM']Thomman do their "own" range now, don't know how good they are, but might be worth a look at.[/quote]

We have a thomann 2500W power amp and it seems to be doing a grand job as the main part of our PA
We use Yamaha power amps for the monitors and the thomann sounds just as good, although the yamahas look better constructed sort of ford versus mercedes I guess

I have to chime in about second hand amps. Don't avoid like the plague at all - look at any install and you'll see a bank of amps that have probably been working their tits off almost daily for years. You will notice that there are no behringer amps, Thomann amps, etc. etc. in such rigs and there's a reason for it. Loads of high quality power amps out there second hand which will provide you with years of service, no point in buying new unless you are paranoid about failures (it is a small risk) or want one of the newer class D lightweight amps. Presumably you don't give too much of a fudge about weight as it'll live in a rack on its own and therefore be very easily manageable rather than in a 10u with several other bits of kit!

Plenty of bargain power amps about from the likes of Crown, QSC, Yamaha etc - check Sound On Sound readers ads as well as ebay.

[quote name='G-bitch' post='81185' date='Oct 30 2007, 11:19 AM']I have to chime in about second hand amps. Don't avoid like the plague at all - look at any install and you'll see a bank of amps that have probably been working their tits off almost daily for years. You will notice that there are no behringer amps, Thomann amps, etc. etc. in such rigs and there's a reason for it. Loads of high quality power amps out there second hand which will provide you with years of service, no point in buying new unless you are paranoid about failures (it is a small risk) or want one of the newer class D lightweight amps. Presumably you don't give too much of a fudge about weight as it'll live in a rack on its own and therefore be very easily manageable rather than in a 10u with several other bits of kit!

Plenty of bargain power amps about from the likes of Crown, QSC, Yamaha etc - check Sound On Sound readers ads as well as ebay.[/quote]

I was speaking from (bitter) experience...

The Second- Hand QSC I bought died.
The Second- Hand Ampeg Pre that I bought is terminally unreliable. In spite of it being serviced.

On the other hand, my 15-year old Trace head is running just fine. I had it serviced for £80 about a year ago due to my "paranoia" about failures.
I'm currently running a 65% failure rate overall, and 100% of those are second hand items.

Twice bitten, third time ain't even happening... I'll buy another bass instead!

[quote name='ahpook' post='80572' date='Oct 28 2007, 08:47 PM']plus the one...

good amps and the best service i've had from an online/mail order firm.[/quote]

I have amongst other poweramps, a Soundtech Ps802. I like 1U amps and have various makes of 1U amps. I like the Soundtech, it does what it is supposed to do, but beware the fans make a bit of noise. I changed my fans and they are still audible. Not that your audience will hear it but you will.

[quote name='synaesthesia' post='84076' date='Nov 5 2007, 05:01 PM']I have amongst other poweramps, a Soundtech Ps802. I like 1U amps and have various makes of 1U amps. I like the Soundtech, it does what it is supposed to do, but beware the fans make a bit of noise. I changed my fans and they are still audible. Not that your audience will hear it but you will.[/quote]
+1 for the PS802. I hear ya about the fans thought, they are somewhat noisy. I SAID, THEY'RE A BIT NOISY.

As it happens, I've just bought a new Crown power amp -- haven't had the chance to try it in anger yet so can't comment, but I expect good things. :)

[quote name='synaesthesia' post='84076' date='Nov 5 2007, 05:01 PM']I have amongst other poweramps, a Soundtech Ps802. I like 1U amps and have various makes of 1U amps. I like the Soundtech, it does what it is supposed to do, but beware the fans make a bit of noise. I changed my fans and they are still audible. Not that your audience will hear it but you will.[/quote]

what did you swap yours for ?

it's something i'd be interested in trying

[quote name='ahpook' post='84135' date='Nov 5 2007, 06:27 PM']what did you swap yours for ?

it's something i'd be interested in trying[/quote]

I honestly cannot remember but I went out and bought a bunch of similar sized computer cooling fans from Maplin and tried them, found one that was lower in noise and used that. It is not a difficult modification, strip the back fan clip off and you can fit a new pair of fans, one for each side of heatsinks.

[quote name='synaesthesia' post='84257' date='Nov 5 2007, 10:56 PM']I honestly cannot remember but I went out and bought a bunch of similar sized computer cooling fans from Maplin and tried them, found one that was lower in noise and used that. It is not a difficult modification, strip the back fan clip off and you can fit a new pair of fans, one for each side of heatsinks.[/quote]

cool - thanks for the advice.

i'm actually thinking of getting a second hand, fanless power amp for home use...i do find the fans a little oppressive at times.