Why become a member? ×

standing in the shadows of motown

dub

I watched "standing in the shadows of motown" last night. It's an inspirational documentary on the funk brothers who were all of the instrumental musicians that played for the motown record label. It's a great film that has a lot in it for any bass players or anybody else for that matter.
I always enjoyed James Jamerson's playing but this film gives a bit more insight into everybody else involved.

[quote name='BurritoBass' post='715896' date='Jan 17 2010, 07:04 PM']I knew they were all great players but the moment for me is when they interview the tambourine player and he shows us what he can do.[/quote]

+1 i liked the eddie "bongo" brown bit as well.

[quote name='BurritoBass' post='715896' date='Jan 17 2010, 07:04 PM']I knew they were all great players but the moment for me is when they interview the tambourine player and he shows us what he can do.[/quote]

+1, it was the moment I realised how the tambourine had defined so many Motown tracks

Best moment for me was Bootsy's 'Do You Love Me'. What a guy

C

Fantanstico!! I saw it at the cinema when it first came out (I'd actually gone to see something else but it had sold out). I left smiling from ear to ear. That was the first time I'd heard of James Jamerson and realised what an influence he's had on the Motown sound.

[quote name='dub' post='715837' date='Jan 17 2010, 05:57 PM']....I watched "standing in the shadows of motown" last night. It's an inspirational documentary....[/quote]
I saw the Funk Brothers at the Festival Hall in 2000. What a great night!!. If you liked the DVD you should get the book for more focus on the life of James Jamerson and his bass lines.

I must get a hold of the book. I like the fact that the tambourine player is a vibes player as well. "Hey how about some vibes on this track? oh you think it needs tambourine? AGAIN?"
Amongst all the joy in the music there is a bit of sadness at those who have died too young and tragedy that motown records just abandoned many of it's most brilliant musicians to move to LA.

[quote name='Rich' post='716190' date='Jan 17 2010, 11:29 PM']Recommend it? God yes, it should be required viewing for all musicians. :)[/quote]

I actually got it because i had to learn a load of Motown stuff and wasnt really familiar with it.
It helped tremendously. And was a very enjoyable documentary.

I still watch bits of it every now and then on my ipod, normally on the way to gigs. It makes me feel better and more enthusiastic.