Why become a member? ×

Best bass solo

Clarky

[quote name='Conan' timestamp='1336650610' post='1648872']
Awesomeness starts @ 3:30...

[media]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dbJeNeenpSs[/media]
[/quote]

Interesting that Hugh Cornwell singles out John McLaughlin and Paul McCartney as 'creeps'. Too specific... he's noticed both these players. If you were a punk you wouldn't bother to remember names. Me-thinks he's had a go at the fusion guitar and Beatles song-writing before going punk.

And weird that they felt the need to do band member solos... It's just like a Yes concert but with more... erm tits.

visog

P.S. Punk was an illusion.... Joe Strummer, son of a diplomat, Jon Anderson, son of a milkman

Apologies in advance, this is a 20 minute plus prog metal masterpiece ;)

But there are two short but sweet bass solo sections in it! One nice melodic one at 08:30, and lots of cool bits from 12:35 onwards.

[url="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Y3pJa0flBo0"]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Y3pJa0flBo0[/url]

for me - the best bass solo's the one the player thought about doing and then figured the song would be better off without it!!

I like the idea of essential bass parts in songs rather than solo's in the sense I think we mean solo. For instance - who can imagine the change in the middle of Fleetwood Mac's 'Chain' without McVie's part? Who doesn't look forward to the four 'solo'd' bass notes in 'Crazy little Thing called Love'? Who can no admire Macca making a very average 'Silly Love Songs' into a far better song by lifting it with his bass line.

That's what it's about - listen to your song and make it better.

• 2 weeks later...

[quote name='the_skezz' timestamp='1336759490' post='1650750']

I kind of sort of have a slight hunch that that
solo, lyrics, and everything else about that song
may have just about been intended as a joke
mate ;)

You're spot on there mate, the Stranglers are fantastic musicians
[/quote]

• 11 months later...
Guest bassman7755

[quote name='3V17C' timestamp='1263774617' post='716244']
probably not the 'best' solo but i've just spent the evening learning Billy's bit from this: (bass solo @ 1:20ish) - gonna give it a bash at rehearsal tomorrow..yoinks!

NV43345 of the first Talas album is pretty good though i reckon....

peace

c
[/quote]

Hes copying jon lords original keyboard solo from the second break in burn - if you listen to that it will give you a clearer idea of what he was trying play.

[quote name='Dr.Dave' timestamp='1337877996' post='1666919']
for me - the best bass solo's the one the player thought about doing and then figured the song would be better off without it!!

I like the idea of essential bass parts in songs rather than solo's in the sense I think we mean solo. For instance - who can imagine the change in the middle of Fleetwood Mac's 'Chain' without McVie's part? Who doesn't look forward to the four 'solo'd' bass notes in 'Crazy little Thing called Love'? Who can no admire Macca making a very average 'Silly Love Songs' into a far better song by lifting it with his bass line.

[/quote]

Pretty much what I was going to say but you've beaten me to it. As you point out, plenty of little bass phrases that crop in tunes that you listen out for without it necessarily being a full 'solo' as such, My Generation another prime example though it is often quoted as a 'solo' too. Another one off the top of my head is that nice little fill that Joe Bouchard does in the middle of BOC's 'Godzilla'. For a more extended solo I've always liked Glenn Cornick's contribution in the middle of Tull's 'Bouree'. That's really as long a solo as I want to hear from 4 strings though.

The bass solo in the live version of Big Takeover on Bad Brains' 'The Youth Are Getting Restless' is my pick, not many blistering bass solos in punk and hardcore, but Bad Brains were never one to do things by the book. Another vote for Matt Freeman's solo on Maxwell Murder as well.

[quote name='Dr.Dave' timestamp='1337877996' post='1666919']

[/quote]

Exactly this in at least 90% of cases . Very few solos can beat a good " hook "bassline , which is surely far more of a true test of a bass player's skills . Look at players like James Jamerson and Joe Osborn - everything they played was in effect as important and as prominent as a solo , because it was so integral to the song as a whole .

Edited by Dingus