Why become a member? ×

Practice amp recommendations

sk8

I had a Laney RB1 which was great except it rattled at high volumes so the shop very nicely gave me a full refund and i'm after another.

I need a headphone socket and preferably a Line in to connect a cd/mp3.

I've been recomended an Orange Crush 20B but have not had any experience of these.

This is likely to be an online purchase so I'm after recommendations

Thanks in advance

i would say just for practice there is nothing really better than the mini peavey combos, IMHO.
I never touch the eq, if anything i try to make my bass sound as nasty as possible because i want to hear all the noise and fluff from my playing. and remember practice is for practice, working on new stuff etc. if you can get your hands to "sound" how you like them without eq then your 2 steps closer to your tone heaven.

I had an Orange crush 20B and it wasn't very good. Not sure if it was broken/defective but it didn't like my Stingray. It seemed to have a volume issue, when you hit a string, there was a bit of a delay before the note sounded at the correct volume. I waved a soldering iron over the circuit board but it didn't make any difference. Sold it to a mate at work for £10, he plays a passive Aria through it and doesn't have this issue. Maybe they don't like active bass inputs ? In short, I wouldn't recommend buying one.

I use a Laney RB1 for practice at home!
Fantastic little kick back amp for low to medium volumes, love the tone, don't need to crank it simply because its a practice amp really. I've used it on a couple of small upright gigs to great success, but thats about it.

Si