Why become a member? ×

VM Jazz or P?

JackieMoon

Hi there,

Just looking for some advice regarding which model would be better suited to me, I have played and like the feel of both.

I have a very broad interest in music so looking for whatever I choose to be able to do 60's and 70's funk/soul/classic rock right upto modern rock and a bit of metal. I will be doing upgrades (Bridge/tuners etc) to whatever I purchase as It will be my main bass for the forseeable future.

Is the tone from the VM Jazz versatile enough to cover all of these or am I better off going for a P?

Cheers All, JM :)

If it were me brother,
I would say to play them both. I would guess the jazz would work better for those styles of music. The VM series is no joke! I played them quite a bit when a buddy of mine had two and they are awesome!

The jazz is what I would recommend if I had to guess without playing them. much more versatile and the neck has such a nice, fast feel to it!

Precision all the way mate!
Nah, only joking. See what sounds best to you (make sure you A/B them with the same amp etc) after a proper test before you buy.
I personally prefer Precisions over Jazzes, but I love the sound of the VM Jazz.
Great basses and haven't heard a bad thing about them yet.
Let us know what you decide and how it goes for you

[quote name='waynepunkdude' post='712918' date='Jan 14 2010, 07:22 PM']I have a VM Jazz and it is a fantastic bass, the neck is better than the one on my Fender.[/quote]

Gotta agree with Wayne. I`ve got a vm jazz and it`s a great bass if you are prepared to spend some cash on upgrades. The quality of build on my one is certinaly Made in Mexico standard. The neck is a diva but be careful as some other people on the site have seen some examples which are not as good as mine but that`s normal in the Fender family.
Try and get one that you have actully played rather than buy online. You will pay a bit more but at least you will get a good one. Or buy on line and if you dont like it, return it.

The Jazz gives you a slightly better range of tones as well.

By the way Wayne, have you fitted Wizzards to yours? If you have I take it that there is a vast improvement? Details!!!

Jez :)

I'd consider either the Classic Vibe 60s P or jazz too if your budget will stretch. Just got the P and in its standard form I think it was far superior to my MIM Jazz.

As the others have said the obvious upgrade is better pickups. Wizards are popular round here. I've got 84s on the Jazz. Maybe a better bridge too - either a Gotoh or Badass II.

Edited by thinman

The basic ones are a good set of strings (like DR's), a better bridge (Gotoh 201 is the cheaper option, but many go BadAss II), then you're onto the more expensive items like replacement pickups & tuners. The sky's the limit with any Jazz bass. You can spend and spend until you only have the Squier body and neck left. It's up to you :)

[quote name='OutToPlayJazz' post='713066' date='Jan 14 2010, 09:14 PM']The basic ones are a good set of strings (like DR's), a better bridge (Gotoh 201 is the cheaper option, but many go BadAss II), then you're onto the more expensive items like replacement pickups & tuners. The sky's the limit with any Jazz bass. You can spend and spend until you only have the Squier body and neck left. It's up to you :)[/quote]

I had a Badass on mine but I took it off to install ashtrays TBH not much difference in tone.

Here`s a couple of photos of mine. It`s got a Gotoh bridge (£25), a set of Highway 1 tuners (£25), Jazz knobs (£9), a set of Status flatwound strings (£18), Schaller straplocks (£12) and a Fender Jazz sticker (£7). Next on the list are a set of pickups.

Jez

[attachment=40214:DSC01343.JPG]
[attachment=40215:DSC01345.JPG]

Yeah, muchos thanks to all of you for your input. Everyone has been really helpful.

I think I am going to plump for the Jazz. Payday in 2hrs then the shopping can begin :)
Going to try and pick up the Bass, Case, set of Strings and the knobs + bridge this month.

Also if I may ask another question, albeit in the wrong forum section, What do people recommend for a practice amp?

Cheers, JM.

If you are wanting something just for the house, you cant go wrong with one of these Ashdown Tour amps. It got a good write up in guitar and bass magazine and costs around £50. If you are looking for something that you can gig with as well, use the search forum in the amp section as there is a lot of info there.

[attachment=40226:TourBus10.jpg]

A word of advice though. Anytime you mention Ashdown on this forum, bad people come and write nasty things about them.

Jez :)

After hearing so much good about these basses I tried one. It was great.Really,really great. Can only imagine how much better they are with the upgrades. Better than the Mexicans I have tried and better than some American Jazzes I have tried. I tried the new Korean Spectors the other day and preferred them over the Euro's so some things are being done well in these factories. My next test will be to see if they out perform the G & L Tribute range. Any body tested them against each other? And do any of you gig the vmj's? T

[quote name='TGEvans' post='713158' date='Jan 14 2010, 10:31 PM']After hearing so much good about these basses I tried one. It was great.Really,really great. Can only imagine how much better they are with the upgrades. Better than the Mexicans I have tried and better than some American Jazzes I have tried. I tried the new Korean Spectors the other day and preferred them over the Euro's so some things are being done well in these factories. My next test will be to see if they out perform the G & L Tribute range. Any body tested them against each other? And do any of you gig the vmj's? T[/quote]

Crikey, gigs his VMJ over his SUB Stingray, sounds bloody good too.

[quote name='gjones' post='713187' date='Jan 14 2010, 10:56 PM']What naughty boys you are.... adding Fender Decals to your Squiers![/quote]

Nah no me guv! I can honestly tell you that I didn`t sand off the Squire log on the front and the serial number and made in Indonesia on the back. Nor did I swap the Squire neck plate for a plain one.

Yours truly, Pinochio

Ps anyone looking to buy a cheap 75 reissue? :)

Jez

[quote name='TGEvans' post='713158' date='Jan 14 2010, 10:31 PM']After hearing so much good about these basses I tried one. It was great.Really,really great. Can only imagine how much better they are with the upgrades. Better than the Mexicans I have tried and better than some American Jazzes I have tried. I tried the new Korean Spectors the other day and preferred them over the Euro's so some things are being done well in these factories. My next test will be to see if they out perform the G & L Tribute range. Any body tested them against each other? And do any of you gig the vmj's? T[/quote]

Yeah, I gigged the VMJ last week. I usually use P basses but tried it out in the first half. Only thing the guitarist said was it wasn`t black to match his Les Paul!

It sounded ok but I think when I have the cash I will get a set of wizzards. But it is gigable with stock pickups.

Jez

Took a leap and ordered one from online, same place I have purchased another guitar from and had no problems.

Unfortunately no such luck this time. The list of horrors...

Box was open as well as dented and torn on the side.
NO protection whatsoever inside apart from a small cardboard headstock sleeve.
Split in the body which had been lacquered over when it was finished.
Black "binding" turned my hands black. Overflowed onto the fretboard and a large dot next to one of the fret markers.
Flat spots on the neck, rough feeling fret edges.
A flat spot on the top of the headstock from what looks like an impact.
1st Fret marking scraped down to the wood.
Brown speckles on the headstock wood, Could be damp/water marks.
Only 2 screws on the scratchplate are screwed in square.

Awaiting a replacement now, Fingers x'ed this next one is better as i really like the look and the sound from the brief testing I was able to do.

Cheers, JM :)

I took a chance on an mail order Squier VMJ...and it's perfect outa the box...was only slightly out of tune.....all more by luck I should add, I have read horror stories, but does sound more like your's was damaged in transit.

...I simply can't put it down, even the kids say it looks cool and sounds great....only thing was there was no user manual, a set of allen keys but no user manual...unless they don't have them, but I'm used to spoil me Yamaha stuff.

...strangely as a newbie I find the neck easier to 'read' in the lighter colour, than my all black RBX...but picking the yammy up I still think it's a work of puka craftsmanship

Edited by iconic