Why become a member? ×

Jazz Bass Upgrades

Dubhghaill

I recently sold my Mexican Jazz Bass, but then I missed it so I had to buy another one to replace it. I found one on here a few days ago and it arrived this morning :rolleyes: It's sitting next to me but I'm at work so I haven't unwrapped it yet :)

I sold the first one because I was unhappy with the way it sounded, but I was very happy with the way it felt. I think if I upgrade the new one and then I should be happy with it.

So, I've decided I probably need new pickups and a new bridge.

I want to use the bass for a thick low mids sound, and also slightly fuzzy overdriven sound. I'm thinking along the lines of somewhere between The Mars Volta (Bedlam) and Mastodon.

For examples of tones I like, see [url="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UyrXy1TUDlw#t=3m20s"]here[/url] and the hard rock with rounds clip [url="http://www.lakland.com/ac_osborn.htm"]here[/url].

I use Bare Knuckle Pickups in my guitars, so I emailed the guy who makes them and asked him if he does Jazz pickups, and he does. He says he likes to make them to vintage spec.

I'm not sure if they will be hot enough for what I want. So maybe I should get a preamp? I've been looking at the JZ3 preamp.

And maybe a Badass II? I've never used one but I've heard they are good.

Any suggestions would be recommended :lol:

What amp & fx do you use? To get distortion you'll need some kind of pedal/fx or an amp that does some kind of grit. and what you use for that will have a much greater bearing on the sound. The subtleties of different pickups could be lost if you add a lot of distortion. I like the badassII on my jazzbass, but some people swear there's no difference in the tone. Dunno really, but I like the look of them and how they're rock solid.

How about fitting a series/parallel switch to get more of a precision-type tone from the pickups? This will be like the S1 switch Fender put on the US jazzes a few years ago, but its a lot cheaper to just wire in DPDT switch. That might do more to make it sound chunky than swapping out the pickups.

Well I would wait and see what the new bass sounds like first, as there is a lot of variation in the Fender Standard (MIM) series, or so I´ve found.
I´ve had two jazzes and a precision from this series and the difference in the jazzes (only about 6months of an age difference between them) was astounding. Still have the slightly older one. Its like a totally different instrument, but made of the exact same spec´d parts.
I would recommend a new bridge and most likely, a Badass is the way forward.
As for the pickups, there are loads of choices out there, but only a few quality ones IMO. If you want a hot, passive output, Seymour Duncan Basslines are the way to go. If you want vintage sounds, I recommend either the Duncan antiquity line or the more expensive (but well worth it) Kent Armstrong pickups. I haven´t heard bass Bareknuckles before though
I have a CIJ Jazz with Kent Armstrongs (cant remember what model) and love the tone.
My tech is mates with Kent (he used to work for him, and he is the local KA distributor now) and is getting him to design a set of custom pickups to fit in my (newer) 78 Precision.
Can´t wait for that!

Again, tone and vibe are all a matter of taste, so give it plenty of research and thought before you start any mods.
Hope it goes great man :)

Thanks for the replies guys.

Perhaps I should've been clearer :) I'm not trying to get distortion from the pickups. I'm using a PODxt which has some half decent fuzz models, but I'll probably get a Muff soon.

The last Jazz Bass I had was quite noisy when distorted, so I want some pickups that are hot but noiseless. So I don't know whether to get hot pickups, or medium pickups + a preamp. I don't know which will be best for the type of sound I'm trying to achieve.

+1 to the S1 switch. Reversible, simple, cheap, awesome.

Do you mind modding the bass? I put Nordy Big Singles in my Ibanez and the bottom off them is very solid indeed with a lot of definition. You could go for the fat stacks, but you'd have to route larger cavities. Otherwise given the shape of J-bass pups, you probably want noiseless with overwinding.

I wouldn't be in any hurry to change either. What is missing from the sound? I have a USA '75 reissue and even with the bent tin bridge there's nothing wrong with the tone. Perhaps a hotter set of passive pickups will help, but once you stick a circuit in a passive Fender you are changing the basic tone quite a bit - nothing wrong with that, but something to be aware of.