Why become a member? ×

Zoot Cabs anyone?

alhbass

I've seen Zoot cabs on ebay, and for some indefinable reason I find myself quite drawn to them. But I've never heard one live, and can't even find a demonstration on Youtube...

Got in touch with the maker/seller - I'll visit anytime I can get down there, but I don't have the time to make the journey right now.

So, can anyone advise me from personal experience? I'm particularly interested in the 2x12, but am tempted by the 2x15 (can't really pretend I often need a cab that big though...). I'd just be interested to hear your opinions...

I have a Markbass LMK amp.

Thanks.

[quote name='alhbass' post='712069' date='Jan 13 2010, 11:12 PM']I've seen Zoot cabs on ebay, and for some indefinable reason I find myself quite drawn to them. But I've never heard one live, and can't even find a demonstration on Youtube...

Got in touch with the maker/seller - I'll visit anytime I can get down there, but I don't have the time to make the journey right now.

So, can anyone advise me from personal experience? I'm particularly interested in the 2x12, but am tempted by the 2x15 (can't really pretend I often need a cab that big though...). I'd just be interested to hear your opinions...

I have a Markbass LMK amp.

Thanks.[/quote]

I'm soon taking delivery of the new zoot cabs under the new name of [url="http://purple-chili.com/"]Purple Chili[/url].... I have the 2x12 and a 4 x 10 coming.... I can't rate them enough

[quote name='johnbass57' post='712103' date='Jan 13 2010, 11:43 PM']Purple Chilli have their own forum on a site that does not charge but who's name is unmentionable :)[/quote]

Oh, OK! So how do I go about being initiated into the mysteries of Bass-lore and find out to which site you're referring?

I've got two of the Purple Chili 1x12" cabs and love 'em. I think Mike's using the green label Celestion drivers in the PC's and used the orange label drivers on the old Zoot cabs, which are obviously pretty similar to Aggie GS112 in appearance, if not weight and sound. The new Purple Chili are, to my mind, some of the best looking cabs on the market and certainly the lightest. Sound-wise they have a real weight and presence in the bass and lower mids which really nails it for me, and are not as 'hi fi' as I remember my Aggie GS112's being - there's a real character to the tone. I can't recommend them highly enough.