Why become a member? ×

Coloured bass strings - any good?

keefman

Guest johnzgerman

[quote name='keefman' post='710152' date='Jan 12 2010, 04:11 PM']Has anyone got any 1st hand experience of coloured and coated strings.

I was thinking of getting some DR Extra Life coated.[/quote]

ive got some red DRs on my SUB bass, i wish id just got the normal DRs that i use. if your bridge has holes that the strings go through like most fenders and musicman then loads of the coating will come off when you pull the strings through the holes and they will cease to be coated therefore defeating the whole point of the exercise

I got 2 sets of dr strings in Peacock blue. They looked good for the first month or so & then they started to look scabby as the blue turned silver around the areas where I play. But soundwise, they stay bright for ages & the G isn't very durable.

Not worth what they cost over here, but if you get them from the US at @£30 a set then they're worth a punt.

Had a set of DR Black Beauties on my Warwick and they were the best strings I've ever tried for sound and feel, but then they are also the most expensive strings I've tried! They do last a long time but finding £30-40 for a 4 string set I couldn't justify when Warwick Red Label strings can be found for £9 a set and I can get just as much wear if not more from 3 sets.

I find that if I wipe my strings down with a microfiber cloth after each play then my strings last for months before the crud builds up enough to make them sound dull and lifeless.