Why become a member? ×

Little Mark 2 & Acme B2

clauster

Hi all,

Got a tax refund coming soon :) and have earmarked a grand (or there abouts) of it for a mini rig of doom before the wife finds the cash in my account. My band took a new drummer last week and he's f'ing loud!! Guitrist was maxing out his 150w Marshall and my Ashown EB180 just got lost in the wall of sound the other 2 were pumping out. So I need about 300-500 watts by my reckoning.

Had been considering the Warwick Xtreme 5.1 and a Warwick Neo 112 (with another 112 to be added in a few months time) with cases and cables its bang on budget, and should complement my Warwick Corvette nicely.

Also had in mind to look into a similar G-K rig (RB700 and 1 neo initially).

This morning I took a look at the Acme site and worked out that I should also be able to get the combination in the titile for about the same price, get the full power of the head immediately (instead of having to wait a few months for the extra cab) and have a smaller lighter rig at the end of the day) but am wary about splashing out that much on a rig I can't try before I buy - so, has anyone tried the Lil Mark 2 with a 4ohm B2? Or should I go with either of the other combinations.

It depends on how stupidly loud your new drummer is! A Low-B2 will go loud but there will be some drummers that are just too much for it. When you say your guitarist was pushing his 150W Marshall to the limit, what are we talking? A 150W s/s 1x12" combo or a 150W valve head on a 4x12". If it's the latter there is no hope of any mini rig being loud enough...

Alex

He's using a s/s combo (12") with a 12" ext cab so not stupidly loud but more than my cheap little Ashdown can compete with.

Originally the Ashdown was just bought for rehearsals (our old drummer was QUIET! - the Ashdown arely went over 9 O'clock on the output gain). For home practise I'd run through my computer with headphones and live I go via DI to the PA.

But I now need more rehearsal volume and I've been invited to do a couple of other gigs where I'd need a louder and nicer sounding amp.

Edited by clauster

In my opinion, for anything other than acoustic duo gigs you need 500 watts. OK, that's 300w at 8 ohm and 500w at 4 ohm. You have access to several volume controls; gain, master and one on your bass, so you can adjust as you need to. More speakers will give a better sound.... I have got a great sound out of a 2x10 and a 1x15 for years. I use the 1x15 for smaller gigs and both for larger gigs.

Therein lies the main constraint on me - space! I live in a small Victorian cottage, and there's no way the missus is going to give house-room to a medium or full stack (put it this way - lat night words were exchanged abut the size of the EB180, and that will just about go up the stairs, anyhting larger, no way). That's why the MB & Acme appeals - less space required (and more portability too).

Well in that case I think you'll find it an excellent little rig. Although the Low-B2 is a pretty inefficient cab it makes up for that by being able to handle all the power you'll have to throw at it, whilst the alternative 1x12" or 2x10" cabs you're considering will go louder with fewer watts but will fart out in the lows long before the LMKII runs out of juice. I find it really weird playing through other cabs nowadays - I find myself wondering where all the bottom has gone and despite that why do they sound so muddy? And with the USD where it is now it is a stupidly good deal!

Alex