Why become a member? ×

Underrated Bass Players

nick

+1 for Adamson (Play such a great live album) and Howlett (beneath the Gong silliness was an awesome rhythm section of him and Pierre Moerlen)

I've always like Derek Forbes stuff on the early Simple Minds albums, when they were quite experimental

…and Jim Smith of Cardiacs

[quote name='nick' post='101181' date='Dec 7 2007, 11:57 PM']Good call on Barry Adamson, he's first mention on this thread & rightly so. He used a Ibanez Rickenfaker for much of his time in Magazine[/quote]

And also his Ovation Magnum. Phenomenally ugly instrument, sounded great in his hands though!

[quote name='grahamd' post='605779' date='Sep 22 2009, 04:36 PM']Didn't Jah Wobble play one too back in the day? Now there's a player…[/quote]

I believe he did, and yes, there is a player! Wasn't he in PiL at the same time as John McGeoch? I see that Russell Webb was also in PiL at one point - I wasn't previously aware of that. Him and McGeoch were later in The Armoury Show together with Richard Jobson (Skids) and John Doyle (Magazine).

+1 for Stuart Morrow, Mark Bedford, Paul Simonon, Frank Bello & Jah Wobble.

I'll throw another Brit in as well, Andy Pyle, he has played with (not a complete list) Juicy Lucy, Savoy Brown, Blodwyn Pig, Wishbone Ash, The Kinks, Rod Stewart, Gary Moore (Midnight Blues Band) and a few others.

A very solid, unassuming, but extremely talented player.

Mark

[quote name='bassatnight' post='605859' date='Sep 22 2009, 05:35 PM']Derek Forbes once of Simple Minds
Paul Webb once of Talk Talk
Mick Karn Ex- Japan
Youth - KillingJoke
Steve Severin - Banshees
Bedders - Madness

Not sure of his name but he played bass on the third associates album Sulk, the bass is lovely and dark.[/quote]

Michael Dempsey probably - he was mentioned earlier.

I wouldn't put Mick Karn as underrated, I thought everyone thought he was brilliant :-)

Now I've just scanned through this entire thread, and as far as I can see, nobody has mentioned Tubeway Army's (Gary Numan's band) bassist Paul Gardiner. I think his lines on 'Music for Chameleons' in particular are fantastic. I guess his tone is perhaps a little over processed by today's standards, but what the hell :)

I'll also mention Colin Edwin from Porcupine Tree, because I think the whole band is sadly underrated. I've always felt there was a huge amount of skill in knowing when to just shut the hell up and playing something simple really, really well that serves the song, rather than doing something flashy.

[quote name='jmccabe' post='605893' date='Sep 22 2009, 05:50 PM']I wouldn't put Mick Karn as underrated, I thought everyone thought he was brilliant :-)[/quote]
I don't - I've always thought his fretless playing is atrociously out of tune. He gets away with it though because he's all arty & "Avant garde", the ponce. :)

Yet another vote for the awesome Barry Adamson from me, and another player I would like to add to the list is Paul Gardiner from Tubeway Army.

[quote name='Daquifsta' post='606162' date='Sep 22 2009, 10:03 PM']Now I've just scanned through this entire thread, and as far as I can see, nobody has mentioned Tubeway Army's (Gary Numan's band) bassist Paul Gardiner. I think his lines on 'Music for Chameleons' in particular are fantastic.[/quote]
I always thought that tune was Pino Palladino.

[quote name='RhysP' post='606352' date='Sep 23 2009, 06:30 AM']Paul Gardiner had died of a heroin overdose before "Music for Chameleons" was recorded.
It is Pino on that track.[/quote]

Paul left Gary's band in 1981
Pino played on Music For Chameleons which is from 1982.
Paul died in 1984

In my opinion Paul's best work was Gary's Telekon album from 1980

Edited by TransistorBassMan

[quote name='TransistorBassMan' post='606762' date='Sep 23 2009, 03:53 PM']Paul left Gary's band in 1981
Pino played on Music For Chameleons which is from 1982.
Paul died in 1984

In my opinion Paul's best work was Gary's Telekon album from 1980[/quote]
Thanks for the correction - I must read the Numan biography again!
I been a fan of Pauls playing since hearing the first Tubeway Army album when I was in school.
I've got tickets for the upcoming "Pleasure Principle" gigs - such a shame that Paul isn't around to play them.

[quote name='RhysP' post='607125' date='Sep 23 2009, 09:29 PM']Thanks for the correction - I must read the Numan biography again!
I been a fan of Pauls playing since hearing the first Tubeway Army album when I was in school.
I've got tickets for the upcoming "Pleasure Principle" gigs - such a shame that Paul isn't around to play them.[/quote]

I'll be at a few of them too. Looking forward to it