Why become a member? ×

Using mis-matched cabs

niceguyhomer

I've just bought a GK 112 neo as a 'multi-purpose' addition to my rig which consists of a 1001RBII head and GK 212 neo cab. Primarily, I bought it to use for quiet practicing in my bedroom and to use at band rehearsals but I've stacked it with the 212 and at (fairly loud) bedroom volume and it sounded absolutely wonderful!

I would imagine that having that extra speaker closer to my ear will help me to hear myself better on stage and might even let me turn down a bit.

I'd like to use the pair together at gigs occasionally if it's possible without damaging anything - and, being conscious of the imbalance of the 2 cabs - ie; 300 watts 98db and 600 watts 101db, was wondering how far can I go volume wise without damaging the 112?

My usual settings on the head are - Contour & Presence off, EQ flat, input volume at 9 o' clock, boost at about 2 'o clock and woofer on about 11-12 o' clock. I play in a soul band and use PA support at all but the smallest venues.

What are the impedences of the two cabs? If they're both 8 Ohm they'll share the power equally. If the 2x12 is 4 Ohm and the 1x12 is 8 Ohm, then each driver will get the same power. Either way, extra cone area = extra volume.

Andy

[quote name='Alien' post='77743' date='Oct 22 2007, 03:07 PM']What are the impedences of the two cabs? If they're both 8 Ohm they'll share the power equally. If the 2x12 is 4 Ohm and the 1x12 is 8 Ohm, then each driver will get the same power. Either way, extra cone area = extra volume.

Andy[/quote]

They're both 8 ohms and I realise they'll share the power evenly but I'm just a bit concerned 'cos my amp is 700 watts. The extra cone really makes a nice different to the sound - more body and better mids.

[quote name='niceguyhomer' post='77737' date='Oct 22 2007, 02:44 PM']I've just bought a GK 112 neo as a 'multi-purpose' addition to my rig which consists of a 1001RBII head and GK 212 neo cab. Primarily, I bought it to use for quiet practicing in my bedroom and to use at band rehearsals but I've stacked it with the 212 and at (fairly loud) bedroom volume and it sounded absolutely wonderful!

I would imagine that having that extra speaker closer to my ear will help me to hear myself better on stage and might even let me turn down a bit.

I'd like to use the pair together at gigs occasionally if it's possible without damaging anything - and, being conscious of the imbalance of the 2 cabs - ie; 300 watts 98db and 600 watts 101db, was wondering how far can I go volume wise without damaging the 112?

My usual settings on the head are - Contour & Presence off, EQ flat, input volume at 9 o' clock, boost at about 2 'o clock and woofer on about 11-12 o' clock. I play in a soul band and use PA support at all but the smallest venues.[/quote]
Hi Alan,

The danger is going to be that at close to full volume you could have almost 350 watts going into the GK 112 which is obviously too much, but if your woofer setting is about 12 o'clock, then you're not near maximum output so it should be OK. But it's all a bit of an inexact science isn't it, hence your concerns?

I think you're right in thinking that with this set up you might be able to turn down a bit because when I've used stacked cabs with one nearer to ear level, I find it helps a lot and I don't have to turn up as much.

Hopefully, there's more knowledgeable members here who can advise you best,

Nik

[quote name='silverfoxnik' post='77785' date='Oct 22 2007, 05:04 PM']Hi Alan,

The danger is going to be that at close to full volume you could have almost 350 watts going into the GK 112 which is obviously too much, but if your woofer setting is about 12 o'clock, then you're not near maximum output so it should be OK. But it's all a bit of an inexact science isn't it, hence your concerns?

I think you're right in thinking that with this set up you might be able to turn down a bit because when I've used stacked cabs with one nearer to ear level, I find it helps a lot and I don't have to turn up as much.

Hopefully, there's more knowledgeable members here who can advise you best,

Nik[/quote]

To be honest Nik, I had consulted our resident expert - alexclaber who advised against using the two together because of the imbalance. I went ahead anyway so I can leave the 212 at the band rehearsal room and use the smaller cab for practising in my den. They look and sound so good together (at loud bedroom volume) I was wondering about gigging with 'em (with PA support).

On paper, it should be ok because we're not that loud really but I'm technically challenged, hence the post seeking reassurance for my errant ways.

I didn't so much advise against it on technical grounds as try to protect your wallet from the ravages of GAS! :)

I don't see a problem using the pair together as long as the 1x12" is always stacked on top so you hear it shifting from growling to farting when it does get pushed too hard. To be honest more speakers are almost always better because you usually increase both the sensitivity and the power handling of the system.

Alex

[quote name='BeLow' post='77911' date='Oct 22 2007, 10:32 PM']Hi Homer

When I first started playing bass (shortly after electricity had been invented) the advice was to always have speakers with power handling well above the power output of the amp, but that was when a 100watt bass amp was the norm and the 250watt machine was a real pro rig, and a 200 watt speaker was approximately the size of a garden shed and the weight of the speaker magnet created a gravitational field which could pull the earth's orbit closer to the sun.[/quote]
LOL :)

+1 to Al and Crazykiwi welcoming you back - extremely pertinent post but very very funny too...I've had flu for 2 days and that's really cheered me up!

Looks like you've got the all clear on this now Al, subject to being extra careful in certain situations?

Nik

The manual for my Trace 2 x 10 says that it will happily take twice the RMS rated power so long as it is not clipping. problems occur when people clip their amps by driving them too hard - which then shags (technical term!) the speaker. Another example - my PA speakers - Wharfedale Titan 12's are rated at 250 W RMS. Wharfedale recommend using a 500W amp to drive them. Let your ears be the judge - if they start to fart and flap, you're driving them too hard.