Why become a member? ×

4/8ohms help Ampeg SVT 3pro

originalfunster

Hi All,

complete idiot here needs some advise.

I have a T/E 4 x 10 300w cab and a T/E 2 x 10 300w. I am fairly sure that both cabs are 8ohms.
I have an ampeg SVT 3pro head which says on the back min speaker load 4ohms.
as I am sure each of mine are 8 (and 8 being greater than 4) can I safely connect either of my 2 cabs without blowing anything to bits?
(dont want to cart both cabs to rehersal)

Cheers

Edited by originalfunster

[quote name='originalfunster' date='Oct 21 2007, 09:43 PM' post='77494']
Hi All,

complete idiot here needs some advise.

I have a T/E 4 x 10 300w cab and a T/E 2 x 10 300w. I am fairly sure that both cabs are 8ohms.
I have an ampeg SVT 3pro head which says on the back min speaker load 4ohms.
as I am sure each of mine are 8 (and 8 being greater than 4) can I safely connect either of my 2 cabs without blowing anything to bits?
(dont want to cart both cabs to rehersal)

Cheer

MB1. :)

NO! it doesnt work like that you can either use a 4 ohm single cabinet or 2 x 8 ohm cabinets which if wired in parallel will give you 4 ohm.DONT use one 8 ohm as youll damage the amp.

[quote name='MB1' post='77518' date='Oct 21 2007, 10:21 PM']NO! it doesnt work like that you can either use a 4 ohm single cabinet or 2 x 8 ohm cabinets which if wired in parallel will give you 4 ohm.DONT use one 8 ohm as youll damage the amp.[/quote]

Que?

Min load is 4 ohms. A single 8 ohm would be perfectly fine and safe, you just wouldn't get all the power.

2x 8hm = 4ohm load.

You could also use 2x16 ohms, which'll give you 8 ohms, but again, it won't give you all the power.

2x 4 ohms on the other hand would kill it ( = 2 ohm load)

Edit:

Impedence works in the opposite direction to the figures so to speak, lower numbers = less resistance -> more power. The SVT P3 can run at 4ohms and put out 450w, or 275 at 8ohms.
The amp cannot handle the power output with a 2 ohm impendance, therefore will go bang.
(yes, simplifed it, but still correct).

LOOK AT THE STICKIES AT THE TOP OF THIS FORUM!

Edited by Buzz

According to the manual the Ampeg SVT-3 PRO has a solid-state output stage so you can use either a single 4-ohm cab or two 8-ohm cabs to extract the quoted max power of 450-watts You can also use a single 8-ohm cab to achieve a reduced ax output of 275-watts.

If it had a valve/tube output stage then you would have to match the cab(s) to the amp.

[quote name='obbm' date='Oct 21 2007, 10:57 PM' post='77550']
According to the manual the Ampeg SVT-3 PRO has a solid-state output stage so you can use either a single 4-ohm cab or two 8-ohm cabs to extract the quoted max power of 450-watts You can also use a single 8-ohm cab to achieve a reduced ax output of 275-watts.

If it had a valve/tube output stage then you would have to match the cab(s) to the amp.

MB1. :)

Thats that sorted then....anyone got a spare svt 4x10 hlf (4OHM!) ........Im also ,not one to take two bottles into the shower!