Why become a member? ×

Greetings from windy Orkney

yanto

Used to be member on BW.Great new site Mods.

Been playing bass for 28 years in punk/new wave/pub/rock bands and still get a kick when we're all hooked in together.Now play in a covers band doing Beatles to AC/DC and more plus Texas Swing band.Newly taken up upright bass and enjoying the challenge.
Gear:USA p deluxe into Sansamp BDDI into Trace 300 SMX 12 into Nemesis 4x10.Swinging Bassix headless upright into Tech Seco Cube 180.
Cheers
Iain

[quote name='yanto' post='77431' date='Oct 21 2007, 07:34 PM']Used to be member on BW.Great new site Mods.

Been playing bass for 28 years in punk/new wave/pub/rock bands and still get a kick when we're all hooked in together.Now play in a covers band doing Beatles to AC/DC and more plus Texas Swing band.Newly taken up upright bass and enjoying the challenge.
Gear:USA p deluxe into Sansamp BDDI into Trace 300 SMX 12 into Nemesis 4x10.Swinging Bassix headless upright into Tech Seco Cube 180.
Cheers
Iain[/quote]

hi Yanto, orkney sounds buzzin! welcome to the forum

[quote name='yanto' post='77554' date='Oct 21 2007, 10:59 PM']Hello
A friend of mine's got a Wal-don't know what model.Lots of basses for sale in my area?Is there something I should know?
Iain[/quote]
There have been a few eBay items turning up in the Orkneys (including a Wal) but all seemed to be scams - no Paypal just bank transfer, sellers registered the day the bass was listed, suspiciously low starting prices considering the items offered, etc etc

Anyway, welcome!!

We now have a checking source for any new listings :)

[quote name='paul, the' post='77770' date='Oct 22 2007, 04:29 PM']Welcome to BC Iain, that P looks fun. Not seen a four knobbed American before.[/quote]

Thanks the paul
Actually it's got 5 knobs-volume,pickup blend,stacked treble and bass,mid cut/boost.9V preamp although I think the newer ones are 18V
Cheers
Iain

[quote name='ste_m3' post='77978' date='Oct 23 2007, 01:08 AM']quick fact for you! my middle name (Harcus) is something to do with where your from. i should really look into that![/quote]

Yup
An Orcadian name for sure.You have royal blood!
Iain

[quote name='grosa' post='77987' date='Oct 23 2007, 01:34 AM']went to orkney with work once,hoy it was,quite nice
didn't see any wal's anywhere though
welcome mate!
spier gad?[/quote]

Yea
Go to Hoy now and again-the Wal can be hard to find-well camoflauged against the peat hill

[quote name='skywalker' post='78102' date='Oct 23 2007, 10:56 AM']I almost bought a cottage in Rackwick once - but decided to remain part of the rate race instead. How we regret these things later.

Do you know if Peter Maxwell Davies still lives in Rackwick??[/quote]

Hi
Love Rackwick.Go out on fishing trips now and again.We stay at Ootro,just down from the car park a bit.Which cottage were you looking at?Max,who incidentally I know(unashamed namedropping) moved to Sanday about 7 years ago
Iain

Hi Ian

The cottage we looked at was a wreck, but is now a holiday let, I think it was featured on the holiday program last year sometime. It was owned by Jack Rendall then. (I get the impression he owns most things there)

I would have loved to have moved there, but the demands of business and ageing parents meant staying in the rate race was the only option.

Not that long to go before I might be able to get out!!. I shall be there to visit before too long I hope.

Steve