Why become a member? ×

SansAmp BDDI + Spector TonePump = overkill?

redzombie

Howdy folks, I've had a SansAmp BDDI for a while now, which I'd use with my Epi T-Bird and Peavey TNT115, with pleasing results. I've recently purchased a Spector Euro 4 LX and Ashdown ABM300-EVO-II, but am having trouble getting a clean sound out of the two, with the SansAmp thrown in the mix.

It's not too much of a big deal, since I've managed to get a sound I'm extremely happy with minus the SansAmp, but I was just wondering if anyone had any ideas as to why I cannot get a clean sound when the pedal is in the loop? I've tried keeping bass and treble on the Spector preamp (TonePump) flat, the grit/overdrive on the Ashdown off, and even the Drive setting on the SanSamp also at 0, all 3 at once but to no avail. The sound still remains gritty and overdriven, this is not the case with my T-Bird through the SansAmp and Ashdown, that combination works as one would expect.

I'm aware many people use the BDDI, in conjuntion with active bases to great success, I'm also lead to believe that as far as onboard preamps go, the TonePump is pretty hot compared to most. Is the combination of the SansAmp and the TonePump simply a no-go, due to too much power or something (for lack of better technical understanding on my part)?

I've noticed the same myself - the SansAmp seems a perfect first device for passive basses, but you need to drop the bass output considerably (and turn up your rig) for actives (specifically an Ibanez with EMGs) or they start sounding pretty fuzzy.

I think it's got quite a bit to do with loading at the input (actives wouldn't be affected to the same degree as they're low impedance/higher power).

I've ended up using it at the end of my pedal chain, using a DHA VT1 as the first pedal, and that seems to work with everything...

Well unfortunately, turning down the volume on my Spector didn't work :) Looks like the two are just incompatible, guess I'll have to save my SansAmp for those T-bird days.

It's a bit of a shame, since I wanted to try and get as close as I could to that Spector NS-2/SVT sound Mike Starr (ex-Alice in Chains) had, for a tribute band.

Edited by redzombie

+1. I used to use a bddi with my euro lx to record on my digi16. It worked fine I thought. I use the tonepump sparingly though, just a bit of bass boost to fatten the low end out a tad. I never use the treble pot really. Thinking back I may of even used it flat letting the bddi take the reigns.