Why become a member? ×

Fender Precision Lyte Bass

smileegee

• 3 weeks later...

Mine just arrived, an ebay purchase. 1989 dark red with gold fittings and absolutely mint condition. Very well cared for too.

Can't believe how light it is after my other fenders. It has black nylon strings fitted and consequently there is no fretwear at all!

I can't cope with them so it'll be getting restrung pretty quickly.

Another wanting to add in a bit of love for the P-Lyte!

I have one of the original Japan models (1986, if memory serves), in the cherry red with the gold hardware. It was my first 'proper' bass and I can remember every hour that I slugged away to pay for it!

Sound wise - great for rock/pop/indie stuff, but didn't do too well in either jazz or americana settings. Sounds nothing like a P-bass, but it's a very light, very fun bass to play, and the neck is ridiculously thin and fast - even my CIJ 75 Jazz feels a bit chunky afterwards. :) Only downside I found (other than the aforementioned battery & jack issues) was the finish - it took to dents like a moth to a flame! Even with the best of care, the bottom edge of mine looks a tad chewed. Even in the worst of scenarios, I'll never sell it. Can't understand why there's never been a re-issue.

[quote name='Simon.' post='800560' date='Apr 9 2010, 09:29 AM']Another wanting to add in a bit of love for the P-Lyte!

I have one of the original Japan models (1986, if memory serves), in the cherry red with the gold hardware. It was my first 'proper' bass and I can remember every hour that I slugged away to pay for it!

Sound wise - great for rock/pop/indie stuff, but didn't do too well in either jazz or americana settings. Sounds nothing like a P-bass, but it's a very light, very fun bass to play, and the neck is ridiculously thin and fast - even my CIJ 75 Jazz feels a bit chunky afterwards. :) Only downside I found (other than the aforementioned battery & jack issues) was the finish - it took to dents like a moth to a flame! Even with the best of care, the bottom edge of mine looks a tad chewed. Even in the worst of scenarios, I'll never sell it. Can't understand why there's never been a re-issue.[/quote]

Mine was in Arctic (or was it Frost ?) white - used to dent just looking at it!
Great little bass for the dosh.

• 9 years later...

A guitarist friend of mine contacted me yesterday for advice. Her studio landlord has a Black Fender Precision Lyte bass and a Fender Rumble combo that he wants to sell to raise money for charity and wants an idea of how much it's worth. From what i can see on the photo is that is is made in Japan and the serial number starts with T and comes with a Fender case.

This isn't a for sale posting as it will be sold at a charity event not on here. Any advice on pricing will be most welcome. Thanks

I remember playing Precision Lyte in the mid-late 90s as a kid in a music shop in Gloucester. I think it was the first time I played a bass and noticed the tone, and remembering thinking they sounded amazing. I think it had quite a pokey mid forward sound from my memory. Maybe I'll hunt one down, one day! 

1 hour ago, jazzyvee said:

A guitarist friend of mine contacted me yesterday for advice. Her studio landlord has a Black Fender Precision Lyte bass and a Fender Rumble combo that he wants to sell to raise money for charity and wants an idea of how much it's worth. From what i can see on the photo is that is is made in Japan and the serial number starts with T and comes with a Fender case.

This isn't a for sale posting as it will be sold at a charity event not on here. Any advice on pricing will be most welcome. Thanks

Hard to say without a pic, but they seem to fetch around £350 to £400 if in good order. As stated previously, the metallic finishes did seem to be easily marked but so long as they’re not too bad it shouldn’t be a problem. Sounds like yours may be either what I think Fender termed ‘Charcoal’ finish, which is like a very dark grey, or the more likely ‘Montego black’ which was like a black finish with gold sparkle bits added! They didn’t do a Lyte in straight black, the only non metallic finish being sunburst IIRC. If the serial number is T plus six digits it will be from around 1994/5. Is the hardware gold or chrome? Regarding the amp, it will depend on which version (the later V3 ones with a silver grille cloth being more highly regarded) and which model / output. Hope that helps.

Edited by casapete

8 hours ago, 12stringbassist said:

NOT FOR SALE.

At one point this bass was my soulmate..
Gorgeous action, tapered narrow Jazz neck, PJ pickups, a sound to die for and no weight. This finish is Toffeeburst.

I also had a Charcoalburst one, but sold it, as it wasn't getting used.

p-lyte02.jpg

P+lyte+cburst.jpg

Toffeeburst definitely better colour. 👍

Okay, I'll play. All late models (95/96 era) with chrome hardware which doesn't seem to corrode as quickly as the gold stuff. Around the same time Fender stopped doing the matching headstocks too. The two sunbursts are 'antique', (which replaced the 'caramel' in the range), the others being 'frost white' and 'frost' red (WTF?!!) All 4 were made in Japan yet have 'Made in USA' neckplates for some reason too - Fender raiding the parts bin I guess.

Sold the red one, still got the other 3. Great basses IMHO, and still undervalued making them a good s/h buy. 

Precison Lytes 1.JPG

Edited by casapete
  • Like 1

•  

Also found this spec list for the later Lytes, which confusingly states they were available until 2001, which I've
never seen, but maybe for the Japanese market only or something?

Model Name: Precision Bass® “Lyte” Standard
Model Number: 025-9500-(Color #)
Series: DELUXE SERIES
Body: Basswood
Neck: Maple
Fingerboard: Rosewood (9.5” Radius/241 mm)
No. of Frets: 22
Scale Length: 34” (864 mm)
Width @ Nut: 1.5” (38 mm)
Hardware: Chrome
Machine Heads: Gotoh “Mini” Tuners
Bridge: Chrome Die Cast
Pickguard: N/A
Pickups: P Bass (Mid), J Style (Bridge)
Pickup Switching: Pan Pot
Controls: Master Volume, Pan Pot, 2-Band Active EQ with:
Treble Boost/Cut 22db,
Bass Boost/Cut 20db
Colors: (537) Antique Burst,
(555) Frost White,
(564) Montego Black,
(577) Frost Red
(Polyurethane Finish)
Strings: Super 7250M, #073-7250-006, (.045, .065, .085, .105)
Unique Features:
Source: Japan
Accessories: None
U.S. MSRP: $756.99
NOTICE: Prices and Specifications Subject to Change Without Notice
INTRODUCED: 1994
DISCONTINUED: 7/2001
DISCONTINUED COLORS: (586) Blue Foto Flame Discontinued 1996), (577) Frost Red (1998), Reintroduced 1999
(540) Fiesta Red (1999)