Why become a member? ×

Fender Precision Lyte Bass

smileegee

[quote name='OldGit' post='700455' date='Jan 4 2010, 01:56 PM']I've had two and the actives ones don't sound remotely like a Precision. More like an 80's Ibanez.

Very good for long gigs as they are "light" and comfortable and the jazz profile neck is fast.[/quote]

Thanks a lot, just one thing the active one is the sound good or so so?

[quote name='smileegee' post='700465' date='Jan 4 2010, 02:05 PM']Thanks a lot, just one thing the active one is the sound good or so so?[/quote]

It was Ok. I used one exclusively for about 8 years and it was fine in a rock band. I just didn't sound like a Precision.
There's little mass in the body and so the actives have to compensate for all that normally brings. To me they sound a bit too "active" and boosted.

Good sound is totally subjective though .....

I've had a couple of Precision Lytes,a standard in Arctic White (or was it maybe Frost white?) and a deluxe in natural.
The standard was actually the better of the two,but both were fine instruments and both active - did they make passive ones?

Pros - nice and light, very fast slim jazz style neck, active controls good, price, overall modern 'jazz' sound.
Cons - Slight neck dive, not really a Precision sounding bass, they eat batteries.
I had a small mod done to the electrics which stopped this Duracell habit!
(Just remember to remove the jack when not in use too.)

If you can get one for a good price then go for it.
Japanese Fenders are generally becoming more sought after these days.

Cheers
Pete.

Finally some lurve for the P-Lyte!
I had two, still have one (greensparkle, gold hardware). Love them. The one I still have is the proper japanese one, from 1986
Incredibly lightweight, lovely neck (like a Gibson SG guitar neck at the nut!-very thin and super-fast) :rolleyes:
It doesn´t sound like a common-or-garden Precision, given the PJ pup config and active pre, but they do have a very versatille range.
Records very well and has a lot of bite live too (I like to use the P pup on half and the J bout 3/4 up roll back the tone a little and play with a pick-like a little T-Bird :lol: )
You can get close to nearly any bass sound you want (though action, string choice and a million other things are factors in this)
Never noticed any neck dive in mine.

My only complaint about the P Lyte, and I´m [u]sure[/u] some others will have had the same problem at some point (I know 4 other guys in this boat):
The really dodgy input jack on the bass. Horrible. incredibly cheap and always come loose! Replace the factory one and your on the pigs back!
I tried an American-made Deluxe version of this bass (has a Humbucker in the bridge) and it didnt hold a candle to the MIJ ones!
Buy a decent second hand japanese Lyte and you WILL NOT REGRET IT!!!
:)

[quote name='basshead56' post='700825' date='Jan 4 2010, 07:20 PM']Finally some lurve for the P-Lyte!
I had two, still have one (greensparkle, gold hardware). Love them. The one I still have is the proper japanese one, from 1986
Incredibly lightweight, lovely neck (like a Gibson SG guitar neck at the nut!-very thin and super-fast) :rolleyes:
It doesn´t sound like a common-or-garden Precision, given the PJ pup config and active pre, but they do have a very versatille range.
Records very well and has a lot of bite live too (I like to use the P pup on half and the J bout 3/4 up roll back the tone a little and play with a pick-like a little T-Bird :lol: )
You can get close to nearly any bass sound you want (though action, string choice and a million other things are factors in this)
Never noticed any neck dive in mine.

My only complaint about the P Lyte, and I´m [u]sure[/u] some others will have had the same problem at some point (I know 4 other guys in this boat):
The really dodgy input jack on the bass. Horrible. incredibly cheap and always come loose! Replace the factory one and your on the pigs back!
I tried an American-made Deluxe version of this bass (has a Humbucker in the bridge) and it didnt hold a candle to the MIJ ones!
Buy a decent second hand japanese Lyte and you WILL NOT REGRET IT!!!
:)[/quote]

+1 on the dodgy jack socket- forgot about that!
My Deluxe was a Japanese model with rear humbucker and 5th control knob for panning between the pickups,but as you say the
standard Japanese model was better IMO.
Think they made a USA model using the same style/layout but it was it called a Lyte? Think it may have been a 'jazz' something or other?

The Zone was as a re-badged Lyte early on.
There was a short run of Precision Lyte Deluxes made in the US (mid 90´s)- Plain wood finish, humbucker in the bridge, no matching headstock, chrome hardware- before the model was discontinued. After this Fender introduced the Zone. Later the Zone was available as part of both American Deluxe and Deluxe (mex) series.
Nowhere near the Lyte in quality or sound!
Saw a Cherry American Deluxe Zone in the local guitar shop (2nd hand) a few months back. Played lovely but the sound was very thin.

I have a 1989 MIJ Precision Lyte in sunburst, a very close relation to the one you are considering, it is an excellent instrument. If it weren't for what it says on the headstock, you wouldn't really think of it as a precision. Fender get a bit of stick from some custom bass junkies because they only have 2 designs, but the P Lyte is definitely in a class of its own.

The slim neck is a joy to play and because it is so light, Fender put in some extra frets to maintain a 34" scale, so I think you get 24 frets- great for playing around and experimenting with.

The jack is crap and it does indeed eat batteries as if they were monster munch.

[quote name='casapete' post='700534' date='Jan 4 2010, 03:19 PM']they eat batteries.
I had a small mod done to the electrics which stopped this Duracell habit!
(Just remember to remove the jack when not in use too.)

Cheers
Pete.[/quote]
What mod? Tell me now! I love mine, but I can't afford another Mortgage to keep replacing the batteries! :) :rolleyes:

[quote name='BigAlonBass' post='714624' date='Jan 16 2010, 10:03 AM']What mod? Tell me now! I love mine, but I can't afford another Mortgage to keep replacing the batteries! :) :rolleyes:[/quote]

Sorry, cant remember exactly what the mod entailed (as maybe 10 years ago!),but seem to remember it was fairly easy job.
The tech said it was a small component that needed replacing,and blamed Fender for being cheapskates with their specs because it
would only be only marginally more cost to use the better part(s). If I can track down the invoice it may say what the mod was
on there-will PM you if I find it!
Cheers.

[quote name='casapete' post='714795' date='Jan 16 2010, 01:20 PM']Sorry, cant remember exactly what the mod entailed (as maybe 10 years ago!),but seem to remember it was fairly easy job.
The tech said it was a small component that needed replacing,and blamed Fender for being cheapskates with their specs because it
would only be only marginally more cost to use the better part(s). If I can track down the invoice it may say what the mod was
on there-will PM you if I find it!
Cheers.[/quote]

Nice one-Here's hoping! :)

[quote name='Pete Academy' post='715196' date='Jan 16 2010, 09:02 PM']I can't believe Fender have never reissued this bass, as IMO it's one of the best sounding ever. And really easy on the bad back.[/quote]

The Zone was pretty close but that's gone now too.

[quote name='BigAlonBass' post='715194' date='Jan 16 2010, 08:57 PM']Nice one-Here's hoping! :)[/quote]

Had a word with the tech who did the job.

As he remembers it was a chip on the circuit board that was the wrong type. He replaced it and substituted the right one
and voila!- battery consumption significantly reduced. He stressed that this only was necessary on the first batch of Precision Lytes,
as Fender corrected this oversight on later models. He seems to think now it would be around £40 to do the job, but I'm sure it was
more like £20 when I had it done-as i say it was late 90's though!
Sorry cant be any more specific,but hope this helps.
Cheers
Pete.

• 2 months later...