Why become a member? ×

Drum N Bass/Dubstep

Jarhead

The LPF is not the same as using the EQ, mainly because the frequencies above the filter are totally removed, as opposed to being reduced. Effectively you stop producing a full range sound and just create a concentrated sub.

Cutting top end and boosting bass gets 'similar' but often unrefined and muddy. The LPF allows some clarity in the sound still.

We're looking at some shows further afield at the mo so I'll keep you posted!

[quote name='dc2009' post='1244573' date='May 25 2011, 06:09 PM']PM'd,

what's the main aim of a LPF and what can it do for your sound?[/quote]

[url="http://basschat.co.uk/index.php?s=&showtopic=72012&view=findpost&p=1158667"]Here![/url]

I'm also using chorus, overdrive & some filtering but the exp pedal is controlling the LPF.

There's quite a few great examples throughout this thread, so go & have a listen to everything.

[quote name='xgsjx' post='1245032' date='May 25 2011, 11:58 PM'][url="http://basschat.co.uk/index.php?s=&showtopic=72012&view=findpost&p=1158667"]Here![/url]

I'm also using chorus, overdrive & some filtering but the exp pedal is controlling the LPF.

There's quite a few great examples throughout this thread, so go & have a listen to everything.[/quote]

o.O those are some neat dirty tones. Those moogs don't come cheap from what I've seen.
I have Si's syb-5 coming soon and an expression pedal, that will hopefully work with it, so I'll start experimenting too
Gotta say, for an octaver, I quite fancy the look of a 4ms nocto loco, anyone on here got one/know how well they work with bass? (only seen guitar demos)

i'm loving some of the sounds in this thread so far-

but alot of it is based on swish pedals, and i already have more pedals than i can fit in my little flat next year, so i'm in the process of putting together a rack set up- nothing too fancy or expensive yet apart from my VT3 custom for the some nice fuzz sounds. i'm eying up something like a G major to liberate some floor space, leaving a few pedals elsewhere for occasional/future use.

so i'm wondering if anyone's had any experience getting these kind've sounds using rack gear? if if so- what?

[quote name='lucky' post='1245940' date='May 26 2011, 05:35 PM']so i'm wondering if anyone's had any experience getting these kind've sounds using rack gear? if if so- what?[/quote]

Only my MIDI setup which (for a while) was fully racked. I use a M13 for some great sounds and from my understanding a liberal use of the TC gear's effects can produce some fantastic sounds. I think you'd need a few hours programming it though.

Dan

the upcoming source audio b.e.f. pro looks like it may be a bit of a 'game-changer', as they say.

check out the audio clip in post #678

[url="http://www.talkbass.com/forum/f36/source-audio-club-620715/index34.html"]http://www.talkbass.com/forum/f36/source-a...15/index34.html[/url]

Edited by phil.i.stein

The BEF Pro is expected to hit the market in America in mid to late July. There may be a couple of months difference between that date and the European date, depending on our distributors though. We expect them to be available through all the same dealers, including Thomann.

I'm happy to answer any questions anyone has about the pedal!

Will

Just picked up a Copilot Orbit off gnasher1993 to put on my newly created bass pedalboard (inspired by Shep's/pantherairsoft's monstrous pedalboard) In short, if you love tight bass synth/fuzz sounds this thing is a world of fun and tones in its own right. It's got a fuzz side, and a ring mod side, with a mix to blend the two. Also has a switch to alter the state of the VCO feeding the ring mod and an exp jack to control the 'exp' knob which seems to control the sweep of the ring mod (will check this out at some point but not yet looked at it). I spent a few hours fiddling with it last night and it's really inspiring, so much so I might attempt to record a few samples. The variable gated-ness of the thing is so much fun for tight staccato synth bass lines. I think that running an octave into it (e.g. OC2, hopefully getting one this week) would really open up the pedal's possibilities. Contemplating a filter after that (Proton or Proteus maybe) but we'll see.

[quote name='mcgraham' post='1259348' date='Jun 7 2011, 09:33 AM']Just picked up a Copilot Orbit off gnasher1993 to put on my newly created bass pedalboard (inspired by Shep's/pantherairsoft's monstrous pedalboard) In short, if you love tight bass synth/fuzz sounds this thing is a world of fun and tones in its own right. It's got a fuzz side, and a ring mod side, with a mix to blend the two. Also has a switch to alter the state of the VCO feeding the ring mod and an exp jack to control the 'exp' knob which seems to control the sweep of the ring mod (will check this out at some point but not yet looked at it). I spent a few hours fiddling with it last night and it's really inspiring, so much so I might attempt to record a few samples. The variable gated-ness of the thing is so much fun for tight staccato synth bass lines. I think that running an octave into it (e.g. OC2, hopefully getting one this week) would really open up the pedal's possibilities. Contemplating a filter after that (Proton or Proteus maybe) but we'll see.[/quote]

It sounds great with an octave before it!

[url="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JLQC8o_zYow"]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JLQC8o_zYow[/url]

[quote name='itswac' post='1258569' date='Jun 6 2011, 04:38 PM']The BEF Pro is expected to hit the market in America in mid to late July. There may be a couple of months difference between that date and the European date, depending on our distributors though. We expect them to be available through all the same dealers, including Thomann.

I'm happy to answer any questions anyone has about the pedal!

Will[/quote]
hi Will,

are you including a standard jack input for expression pedals or is it hot-hand only ? or option © is there to be a hot-hand input / exp pedal jack input adaptor yet to be released ? you know it makes sense. :)

gnasher, the settings he's using on that vid are very close to what I have it set to at present. Given that I mainly play bass at church at present (reasonably contemporary but still restrictive within that genre) I'm going to try and work out how to support the songs with a slightly more synth sound to experiment.