Why become a member? ×

Villex passive rotary booster review

GreeneKing

I have just fitted a Villex booster to my Lakland Skyline Bob Glaub.

Whilst doing this I replaced the separate 250K pots with a stacked 500K unit in order to keep the tone control. There's no way I'd just get rid of the tone control that can now turn my BG into a Ric.

The side effect of changing to a 500K pot for tone is that the range of treble is enhanced, and the cut position retains it's original tone. The stacked pot has one audio pot for volume and one linear one for tone.

The added treble enhances the bass in itself.

I've just had the chance to play the BG with the volume cranked up and I've spent over 30 minutes just unable to put it down and in tonal heaven.

The booster is a completely passive unit (no power required) and has 4 positions, off, +3db boost with peak at 3.5 kHz, +5db boost peaking at just under 3 kHz and +7db boost peaking at about 2 kHz.

This is pure P bass heaven but with added balls. Boost position 3 has to be my favourite but each of the three boost positions is very useful indeed and I would suggest that with the no boost bypass option every passive P bass should have one.

Brilliant! Well recommended, and it looks really neat. Mind you on a Black/black/maple P bass it couldn't fail to look good.

Peter

I've replied to your Sterling post Alan. Yours may be better in terms of noise issues, living amonst over a dozen flats means that I have a huge No of neighbours to annoy :)

A quick pic:

The volume is on a black knob topped by the chrome tone one and paired with the chrome Villex control.

Peter

Works for me too! Glad you like the booster - it certainly is an easy and relatively cheap way of really adding that extra something to the bass signal. Mine was installed in an active bass and the benefits were great, and I hear that in a passive instrument the difference is even more noticeable. Isn't Tigran just a lovely chap, too?!

I should think with the added treble boost this really opens up the sound of the bass. What better way to spend a measly £50!

Cheers
ped

[quote name='ped' post='79159' date='Oct 25 2007, 12:20 AM']Works for me too! Glad you like the booster - it certainly is an easy and relatively cheap way of really adding that extra something to the bass signal. Mine was installed in an active bass and the benefits were great, and I hear that in a passive instrument the difference is even more noticeable. Isn't Tigran just a lovely chap, too?!

I should think with the added treble boost this really opens up the sound of the bass. What better way to spend a measly £50!

Cheers
ped[/quote]

Thanks for the kind words Ped. I took the booster out of my Villex loaded Squier as reviewers in magazines were getting confused with two mid controls. I now feel like a drug addict with withdrawal symptoms - and this is with Villex pickups that are more versatile than most! It's like my bass suddenly became four times less versatile. I think you fully appreciate the effect of the booster only when it's no longer there, because it fits in so naturally.

Tigran

I'm struggling to understand how a completely passive circuit can producs an output boost. My assumption is that there is some kind of impedance balancing transfomer or other involved, as a +3dB boost would be possible without any derogation of tone.

Obviously, trade secrets n' all... not fussed.. but I'd be interested in learning how this works! I'm a techy geek!!!

Sounds like an interesting mod, i wonder if it's anything like the Has sound varitone

I have one fitted to my charvel and it's so much more useful than a normal tone control, one of the positions gives a passive overdrive effect. One of the reasons i like it is the 'click' and the tone changes by a known variable, very useful.

Edited by steve-norris

[quote name='steve-norris' post='79571' date='Oct 25 2007, 10:17 PM']Sounds like an interesting mod, i wonder if it's anything like the Has sound varitone

I have one fitted to my charvel and it's so much more useful than a normal tone control, one of the positions gives a passive overdrive effect. One of the reasons i like it is the 'click' and the tone changes by a known variable, very useful.[/quote]

Hi Steve,

The big difference is the Villex booster gives volume increase. Has sound varitone doesn't. Since mid boost is generally needed to cut through, it makes much more sense to have it combined with volume increase.

Edited by Villex_Europe

I ordered a Villex tone booster and a set of Villex jazz pickups from Tigran a few months back, looking to fit them in the first RIM Jazz Bass that I will be starting early next year, so Ped if you want to try them out once the bass is finished mate I bring it round yours.

Tigran, I haven't forgot bud just been so busy this year.

Cheers,

Robbie.

Hi Robbie,

Thought I'd let you know that 'a few months back' is actually February - it's only taken you a year :)

Tigran

[quote name='RIM Basses' post='79638' date='Oct 26 2007, 07:29 AM']I ordered a Villex tone booster and a set of Villex jazz pickups from Tigran a few months back, looking to fit them in the first RIM Jazz Bass that I will be starting early next year, so Ped if you want to try them out once the bass is finished mate I bring it round yours.

Tigran, I haven't forgot bud just been so busy this year.

Cheers,

Robbie.[/quote]

• 3 weeks later...

Having read Peter's review of the booster i decided a few weeks ago to take the plunge and put one in my mid 80's mij fender P, to cut a long story short i ran out of wire when installing it and had to strip all the controls from the bass as i had some recording to do, fast forward a few weeks via my LGS and i have got my Pbass back today with a wizard thumper pup, stacked vol/tone and villex booster installed and i must say i have struggled to put the bass down since i got back from picking it up, i went with a stacked 500k pot and the extended treble has brought the bass to life in a way and i have found all 3 boost positions very pleasing to the ear and like Peter i'm loving position 3 on the booster with the tone fully open. It is a great piece of kit and for the money i'm well impressed with the versatility my bass now has to offer. Nice one Villex :)

I'm getting ready to drill holes in my BG. I've bought a set of Villex P pickups to complement the booster and they come with an additional Mid control so I'm moving the jack into the body to make room. I'll update but I'm hoping that with the increased treble, mid and booster plus the Villex pups it'll be even more tonally incredible.

Peter

[quote name='mr pablo' post='87389' date='Nov 12 2007, 04:52 PM']Having read Peter's review of the booster i decided a few weeks ago to take the plunge and put one in my mid 80's mij fender P, to cut a long story short i ran out of wire when installing it and had to strip all the controls from the bass as i had some recording to do, fast forward a few weeks via my LGS and i have got my Pbass back today with a wizard thumper pup, stacked vol/tone and villex booster installed and i must say i have struggled to put the bass down since i got back from picking it up, i went with a stacked 500k pot and the extended treble has brought the bass to life in a way and i have found all 3 boost positions very pleasing to the ear and like Peter i'm loving position 3 on the booster with the tone fully open. It is a great piece of kit and for the money i'm well impressed with the versatility my bass now has to offer. Nice one Villex :)[/quote]

Thanks Mr. Pablo!

Only two days left to go till the offer on the booster expires!

[url="http://basschat.co.uk/index.php?showtopic=7255"]http://basschat.co.uk/index.php?showtopic=7255[/url]

• 1 month later...

I too have just fitted a Villex booster to a Lakland Skyline Bob Glaub and have to say that I'm just as pleased with the Villex as everyone else here has been. Even having read the other reviews and comments above, I wasn't ready for the range of tones available with the Booster.

Still a passive bass and with bypass, just a lot more versatile now

Thanks Tigran

P

• 4 weeks later...