Why become a member? ×

What cab for my Peavey Max 450 (nitrobass)

TDM

I got one of these, and I have decided not to sell it.

Whats the most cost effective cab I can get for it?

I play in a metal band (Think Metallica, Slayer etc) with 2 guitarists. They both have pretty loud valve amps (about 50-100w)

I was thinking of getting a matching Peavey 1x15 cab off the bay, and when I needed more volume, get a 2x10.

Good idea?

Like I said watch the impedence. Peavey have changed their amp ranges and most only go down to 4 ohms now when a few years ago it was 2 ohms. Because they made amps to 2 ohms they did a lot of 4 ohm cabs and 1x15 and 2x10s were available in 4 or 8 ohms. Iy you have a 2 ohm amp you should use 2x4 ohm cabs. If the amp is 4 ohm then either 1x4 ohm or 2x8 ohm cabs will do the job.

The amp has a minimum impedence of 2ohm, its one of the older USA models.

Should I be looking at cabs which have a higher or lower power rating than the amp?

The amp is

450W RMS @ 2 ohms, 300W RMS @ 4 ohms, 170W RMS @ 8 ohms

So basically, if I'm looking at a 4 ohm cab, will something around 200 watts do, or is it better to have something over 300w?

Something above 300watts as you may damage the speakers or the amp if you push it too hard. The TVX 4X10 would be a good cab or the PRO 4X10 both @ 4ohm you could crank that amp without fear then!

You could always add another 4ohm cab afterwards too to use the full 450w from the amp.

Edited by richy316

[quote name='richy316' post='79092' date='Oct 24 2007, 08:51 PM']Something above 300watts as you may damage the speakers or the amp if you push it too hard. The TVX 4X10 would be a good cab or the PRO 4X10 both @ 4ohm you could crank that amp without fear then!

You could always add another 4ohm cab afterwards too to use the full 450w from the amp.[/quote]

and I want to sell my Peavey TVX410, it's a 4 ohm cab, and works well with the max450 (that's what I use it with). Open to reasonable offers.

[url="http://basschat.co.uk/index.php?showtopic=7293"]http://basschat.co.uk/index.php?showtopic=7293[/url]

[quote name='richy316' post='80084' date='Oct 27 2007, 12:36 PM']Oh and Peavey is developed by a Metal legend in the shape of Dave Elefson (original Megadeth bassist)[/quote]

Yes, I quite like his tone actually.

He definitely goes all-out Peavey gear doesn't he?

......I mean Basses, Heads AND Cabs?