Why become a member? ×

Gig predicament

thumbo

I'm in a some what of a predicament with gig I'm supposed to be playing tomorrow (sat) night.
To cut a long story short, I'm doing some session work for a good friends' country band. I've had about an hour and a half to learn 6 of his original songs with the band up to gigging standard, they're not tricky tunes but I'm quite a way off feeling confident with gigging them. I was supposed to be rehearsing these tunes with him last night but he stitched me up. I got in from work and rushed to get my stuff together and shove food down my throat, tried to phone him and no answer. I tried 3 times and had no luck and he's only just contacted me over 24 hours later, now there's no chance of rehearsing these tunes before the gig because I'll be at work tomorrow.

The predicament really is this, I havnt played a gig in nearly a year and I'm dying to play live again. However, I think he needs to be taught a lesson in me not showing up tomorrow and not answering my phone when he calls. He's done this kind of stuff before too, it's not just a one-off. ...and there's also the slightly large issue of me not feeling confident in playing these songs.

What would you do? I don't know if I'd be cutting off my nose to spite my face by not showing up. It's not like it's a big opportunity of a gig, it's just that I havnt gigged in ages. I don't know what to do!

:wacko:

Be the bigger man. If you don't show up it's not just your 'mate' who suffers but your audience too. I'm sure that on the night, things will work out ok. I've been gigging with the same band for 12 years come April and I still suffer the occasional brainstorm where I forget completely how a song progresses.

Just be wary of 'helping' him out in future.

Mark

Go and play.

You're in a no-lose situation.

If it goes well, you have some fun and get some stage-time.

If it goes badly, it's not your fault.

With the pressure taken off you like that, chances are you'll relax, get into the groove (good title for a song, that), and lay down some great bass.

Enjoy.

If you're not going to play then tell him asap. It's easy get a bad repuation for stuff like that.

I think you should play it, like ARGH says makes some charts and go for it.
and if you make any mistakes, then it's his gig and his fault for not rehearsing ;-)

Good luck!

Play the easiest 3 you've run through, refuse to play the other 3 and insist on playing Rawhide, Stand By Your Man and I Walk the Line. If he argues, remind him the rugby is on and that's a game played by gentlemen, and a gentleman wouldn't have treated you the way that he's treated you.

Hamster

[quote name='Hamster' post='76777' date='Oct 19 2007, 10:45 PM']Play the easiest 3 you've run through, refuse to play the other 3 and insist on playing Rawhide, Stand By Your Man and I Walk the Line. If he argues, remind him the rugby is on and that's a game played by gentlemen, and a gentleman wouldn't have treated you the way that he's treated you.

Hamster[/quote]

+1 :) You've got nothing to gain by not doing it and you'll probably regret it - I always say establish the blame as early as possible, so let your mate know he's let you down and then if you play well you'll look amazing and if you play badly you can say it's his fault

[quote name='Hamster' post='76777' date='Oct 19 2007, 10:45 PM']Play the easiest 3 you've run through, refuse to play the other 3 and insist on playing Rawhide, Stand By Your Man and I Walk the Line. If he argues, remind him the rugby is on and that's a game played by gentlemen, and a gentleman wouldn't have treated you the way that he's treated you.

Hamster[/quote]

Union? A Mans game...

Sir I would have a good few thousand good men,women,and childfolk that easily batter you into submission just a few feet from my door that would argue the LEAGUES case over that upperclass fantasy creation of romanticism.....

(Seriously my house backs onto a Superleague stadium...Castleford Tigers to be precise! And I for one will miss it so whence the new facility is created across town)

[quote name='queenofthedepths' post='76782' date='Oct 19 2007, 10:59 PM']+1 :) You've got nothing to gain by not doing it and you'll probably regret it - I always say establish the blame as early as possible, so let your mate know he's let you down and then if you play well you'll look amazing and if you play badly you can say it's his fault[/quote]

I would say nothing at all..and should the house fall abound..rather akin to Sampson..then fix you eyes upon the man,and the blame shall follow your view.

[quote name='ARGH' post='76788' date='Oct 19 2007, 10:15 PM']Union? A Mans game...

Sir I would have a good few thousand good men,women,and childfolk that easily batter you into submission just a few feet from my door that would argue the LEAGUES case over that upperclass fantasy creation of romanticism.....
(Seriously my house backs onto a Superleague stadium...Castleford Tigers to be precise! And I for one will miss it so whence the new facility is created across town)[/quote]

it has'nt got a bar and some birds as well has it :)

Aye, I concur with most of the above.

Do it, and you've done your part.

Audiences don't notice bass anyway (j/k) so you'll be fine, just hobble along as best you can. Worst to worst, just play roots and 5ths :)

It'll reflect badly on him in his band as he's f***ed up.

[quote name='Buzz' post='76841' date='Oct 20 2007, 03:17 AM']Aye, I concur with most of the above.

Do it, and you've done your part.

Audiences don't notice bass anyway (j/k) so you'll be fine, just hobble along as best you can. Worst to worst, just play roots and 5ths :)

It'll reflect badly on him in his band as he's f***ed up.[/quote]
+1 I been in this situation so many times. Don't feel guilty in this situation at all. It's up to your mate to give you enough opportunity to prepare.

[quote name='Hamster' post='76777' date='Oct 19 2007, 10:45 PM']f he argues, remind him the rugby is on[/quote]

it's going to be a dead night...

Last Saturday was poor... My daughter and her partner do a mobile bar... they were booked to a function last Saturday that had been planned before England qualified... the function was very poorly attended... they were happy though, they were on a fixed fee plus costs for stock... the organiser suffered the loss in takings...

It's country, man.

Ask your wife/girlfriend to run off into the sunset with your favourite tractor, get yourself sacked from work, run outta gas on the way to the gig, then down a bottle of moonshine when you get there. You'll be fine.

We done some proper hardcore country do's this year. They're never dull...!

I concur with the prevailing advice - play it.

If you don't, it'll look to your "mate" like you've bottled it, you don't get to play the gig, you don't get paid.

I do think a post-gig firm word in his ear (backed up by the offer of an anal probe performed with a Warwick - sideways) would be in order, though.

Jon.

:) Thanks alot for the replies. It made for a great read! I knew that I'd get some good food for thought posting on here.

Last night I was feeling as stubborn as a mule and was almost set on not playing the gig just to prove a point, but you lot have convinced me otherwise. I'm gonna do it, and I'm gonna wear a pink tutu. BASSCHAT POWER!

Cheers!

Hamster[/quote]

I feel inspired by this, I think I will demand a bass solo spot and a cover song of my choice. I pick 'Blood Red' by Slayer, a popular classic in the [i]c[/i]o[i]unt[/i]ry community in plymouth.

[quote name='BeLow' post='76950' date='Oct 20 2007, 01:09 PM']Are you sure that is wise in the Plymouth area?[/quote]

Nope! But I'm a fast runner. I'm playing at the Hub, so i'll be right next to union street (rated the 4th roughest street in country if I remember rightly!). Lovely.

[quote name='thumbo' date='Oct 19 2007, 09:56 PM' post='76752']
I'm in a some what of a predicament with gig I'm supposed to be playing tomorrow (sat) night.
To cut a long story short, I'm doing some session work for a good friends' country band. I've had about an hour and a half to learn 6 of his original songs with the band up to gigging standard, they're not tricky tunes but I'm quite a way off feeling confident with gigging them. I was supposed to be rehearsing these tunes with him last night but he stitched me up. I got in from work and rushed to get my stuff together and shove food down my throat, tried to phone him and no answer. I tried 3 times and had no luck and he's only just contacted me over 24 hours later, now there's no chance of rehearsing these tunes before the gig because I'll be at work tomorrow.

The predicament really is this, I havnt played a gig in nearly a year and I'm dying to play live again. However, I think he needs to be taught a lesson in me not showing up tomorrow and not answering my phone when he calls. He's done this kind of stuff before too, it's not just a one-off. ...and there's also the slightly large issue of me not feeling confident in playing these songs.

What would you do? I don't know if I'd be cutting off my nose to spite my face by not showing up. It's not like it's a big opportunity of a gig, it's just that I havnt gigged in ages. I don't know what to do!

:wacko:
MB1. :)

I find thats always a great idea, going out with a band youve never rehearsed with ,means youve got the same excuse as them when it all turns to sh*te.............NONE!.