Why become a member? ×

Jeff Finch

thestick

[quote name='thestick' post='695464' date='Dec 29 2009, 11:04 AM']Can anyone tell me if Jeff Finch is still making basses?
or how i can get in touch with him?
He made me a great six string bass in 94,
I would love to meet up with him again...
if anybody knows any details can you please let me know.[/quote]

I am really good friends with Jeff.
Infact just spoken to him recently. [he is living out at Clacton]
Not doing any Bass stuff at the moment.

He built me a couple of Basses in the late 80's [one was a great 6er, also his repair work was great]

If you want to speak to him PM me your name and number,
and i will pass it on.
He likes his privacy these days.

Garry

[quote name='lowdown' post='695582' date='Dec 29 2009, 01:51 PM']I am really good friends with Jeff.

He built me a couple of Basses in the late 80's [one was a great 6er, also his repair work was great]

and i will pass it on.

Garry[/quote]
Always wondered what happened to him myself.. A very fine luthier indeed!

• 2 years later...

I was shown two Jeff Finch six string basses today by a pro who commissioned Jeff to make these 20 years a go, and was most impressed. If anyone can share links or stories about this luthier (who I must confess was not previously known to me) I'd love to learn more!

Thanks,

Phil

Edited by Born 2B Mild

What was the guys name ?
I also had two sixes made by Jeff, Fretted & Fretless.
This was around 88/89
I was [am] very close friends with Jeff, although i have not spoken to him since last year.
He lives over at Clacton, but does very little Luthier work these days.

Garry

Edited by lowdown

• 1 year later...

I have a couple of Jeff Finch contrabass guitars. He also refinished a 68 Fender Jazz for me, all of this some twenty years ago.

The basses sound even better today then when I first got hold of them. I remember being over at his place one day and him asking me if I had played on a particular TV theme tune. I think it was Animal Hospital. He had recognised the sound of one of his own basses.

Great guy, great luthier and he could play too!

• Like 1

• 7 years later...
On 29/12/2009 at 13:51, lowdown said:

Can anyone tell me if Jeff Finch is still making basses?

or how i can get in touch with him?
He made me a great six string bass in 94,
I would love to meet up with him again...
if anybody knows any details can you please let me know.

I am really good friends with Jeff.

and i will pass it on.

Garry

Hi Gary, 

My names Jack Finch & Jeff was my grandad unfortunately he passed away in 2013. 

I’d love to know what you know about him and if you know anyone that has one of his guitars? My Dad Lee Finch unfortunately, didn’t get to keep one of his guitars as it was so sudden. 

Reading this makes me so sad & I just know how much it would mean to my dad if i could get hold of one.

Funnily enough, Dave Swift was using my Grandads guitar on BBC live on the NYE countdown!

I would love to hear from you! 

Kind Regards,

Jack Finch

• Like 5

8 hours ago, JackFinch said:

Hi Gary, 

My names Jack Finch & Jeff was my grandad unfortunately he passed away in 2013. 

I’d love to know what you know about him and if you know anyone that has one of his guitars? My Dad Lee Finch unfortunately, didn’t get to keep one of his guitars as it was so sudden. 

Reading this makes me so sad & I just know how much it would mean to my dad if i could get hold of one.

Funnily enough, Dave Swift was using my Grandads guitar on BBC live on the NYE countdown!

I would love to hear from you! 

Kind Regards,

Jack Finch

Hi Jack, PM me your Email address.

A friend of mine (Bill R) still has one of Jeff's Basses. And indeed, still using it!! He lives out in Australia these days. Myself and Bill, along with Dave Swift, spent many great times around Jeff's place when he lived over at Theydon Bois (and his place before that). I have very fond memories from that period in time. Although far too much Beer was drunk...haha.

There might be a few photos of Basses that Jeff made for me and my brother saved somewhere. I will have a look a bit later.

I do remember your dad as well, I certainly remember Jeff talking about him a lot.

Your Grandad was a great lover of Motorbikes as well, if I remember correctly.

Regards

Garry

Edited by lowdown
  • Like 1

4 hours ago, lowdown said:

Hi Jack, PM me your Email address.

A friend of mine (Bill R) still has one of Jeff's Basses. And indeed, still using it!! He lives out in Australia these days. Myself and Bill, along with Dave Swift, spent many great times around Jeff's place when he lived over at Theydon Bois (and his place before that). I have very fond memories from that period in time. Although far too much Beer was drunk...haha.

There might be a few photos of Basses that Jeff made for me and my brother saved somewhere. I will have a look a bit later.

I do remember your dad as well, I certainly remember Jeff talking about him a lot.

Your Grandad was a great lover of Motorbikes as well, if I remember correctly.

Regards

Garry

wow. I’m actually going to Australia later this year to do a years worth of travelling!

Yeah that sounds like him haha, yes he loved his motorcycles his favourite was his Harley! 

It’s so great to see that people are still using his basses. One of the biggest things I regret is not learning to play he always tried to teach me but I was too young and had other interests like the PlayStation and football haha! 

I knew my grandad was a talented man but I never knew how much & just over the last few days I’ve found so many nice words about him.

Its all so interesting to me so anything you have photo wise of my grandad or his guitars or even silly little stories I’d really appreciate it!

Edited by JackFinch
  • Like 3

Hi Jack, I'd remove your email address from your post and send it by private message instead. It's liable to be picked up by spambots when in plain text on a public forum. Good luck with your search.

Edited by Doctor J
  • Like 1

37 minutes ago, JackFinch said:

wow. I’m actually going to Australia later this year to do a years worth of travelling!

Yeah that sounds like him haha, yes he loved his motorcycles his favourite was his Harley! 

It’s so great to see that people are still using his basses. One of the biggest things I regret is not learning to play he always tried to teach me but I was too young and had other interests like the PlayStation and football haha! 

I knew my grandad was a talented man but I never knew how much & just over the last few days I’ve found so many nice words about him.

Its all so interesting to me so anything you have photo wise of my grandad or his guitars or even silly little stories I’d really appreciate it!

Bill just sent me his Email address to pass on to you, along with his Facebook address.. I will forward a bit later with some pictures.

He said he will be happy to chat and just told me that he has three of Jeff's Basses still..!! He lives just outside Sydney.

Cheers,

Garry

37 minutes ago, lowdown said:

Bill just sent me his Email address to pass on to you, along with his Facebook address.. I will forward a bit later with some pictures.

He said he will be happy to chat and just told me that he has three of Jeff's Basses still..!! He lives just outside Sydney.

Cheers,

Garry

Thank you Gary!

Bringing back a lot of memories for my dad!

Brilliant! 

Again, thank you so much I really appreciate it!

Jack

• Like 1

11 hours ago, lowdown said:

Cheers,

Garry

Don't you just love Basschat sometimes... 👍😊👏

• Like 6

• 1 month later...
1 hour ago, Hellzero said:

Hi @billdylan maybe you could also post some photos of these basses here. 😊

Here are four of my (Jeff) ex's to get on with while waiting for Bill's photos...:D

(made in the late 80's and early 90's...)

Mine are long gone but, I believe Bill's are still in use... 

:D

4.jpg

3.jpg

2.jpg

1.jpg

Edited by lowdown
  • Like 2

• 1 month later...

I knew Jeff Finch from the age of 12. He and his wife were mates with my sister. I had not seen him for many years but by a chance meet discovered he lived just down the rd from me in St Osyth. I last saw him just a week before he sadly died.   He was a perfectionist and could turn his hand to anything. Just recently i have sourced a Finch bass the craftsmanship is just typical of jeff. I would be most gratefull if anybody recognises the guitar and knows any of its history

IMG_4025.jpg

• Like 2

8 minutes ago, jonnyc said:

I knew Jeff Finch from the age of 12. He and his wife were mates with my sister. I had not seen him for many years but by a chance meet discovered he lived just down the rd from me in St Osyth. I last saw him just a week before he sadly died.   

Spookily I was born in st osyth ...

Edited by Geek99

• 10 months later...
  • 3 months later...

Just came across this chat - I'm writing my memoirs 😏 and was wondering what had become of Jeff. So sorry to hear that he is no longer with us.

Jeff built me two 6-string basses; a fretted one (based on a Ken Smith) in 1991 and a fretless (a modified version of the fretted) in 1995. As luck would have it, I only lived a few miles from Jeff and I visited him quite regularly; we discovered a shared childhood experience (at different times) in Chingford. I was studying with Joe Hubbard in those days and I got sneak previews of two basses which Jeff built for him (don't tell Joe).

I think Jeff used to ride a Harley-Davison? I heard a story where he flipped it after hitting a fox - not sure how true that was.

Although the fretless doesn't get too much use these days, it was invaluable during a couple of originals projects in the mid-90s and early 2000s.The fretted bass is still performing well. I'll sort out some photos.

• 9 months later...