Why become a member? ×

Don't post your bass via Parcelforce/RoyalMail

OldGit

Well, a -1 for Interparcel, or should I say UPS who actually handled it. I just received a well-packaged Mesa Boogie amp that they had obviously used as a football. Circuit board had come off its mountings, 7 valves smashed and quite a lot of damage to the cabinet/tolex.

The box was plastered with 'Fragile' and 'Delicate Electronic Circuitry' stickers. When I got home from work my wifey had signed for it and because it's heavy they put it in the hallway for her. It was of couse upside down, no doubt due to the very large 'This Way Up' sticker on the bottom.

I had the foresight to take out additional insurance, and am proceeding with the damage claim at the moment.

Hamster

The box was plastered with 'Fragile' and 'Delicate Electronic Circuitry' stickers. When I got home from work my wifey had signed for it and because it's heavy they put it in the hallway for her. It was of couse upside down, no doubt due to the very large 'This Way Up' sticker on the bottom.

I had the foresight to take out additional insurance, and am proceeding with the damage claim at the moment.

Hamster
[/quote]

Hi Hamster

If the "This way up" was on the bottom then that is the senders issue, not the carrier. It still doesn't excuse playing football with it, but might be worth sending some photos to the sender and asking them for a comment.

Steve

[quote name='skywalker' post='36893' date='Jul 25 2007, 02:57 PM']If the "This way up" was on the bottom then that is the senders issue, not the carrier. It still doesn't excuse playing football with it, but might be worth sending some photos to the sender and asking them for a comment.

Steve[/quote]

Steve - What I meant was that the 'This Way Up' sticker was correctly applied to the top of the package, but the delivery man put the box upside down in the hall so the sticker was 'on the bottom'

I've had a good conversation with the sender and have some good photos of the amp before he packaged it, all of them show the amp to be in a good and not smashed to bits condition.

Hamster

[quote name='Hamster' post='36896' date='Jul 25 2007, 03:02 PM']Steve - What I meant was that the 'This Way Up' sticker was correctly applied to the top of the package, but the delivery man put the box upside down in the hall so the sticker was 'on the bottom'

I've had a good conversation with the sender and have some good photos of the amp before he packaged it, all of them show the amp to be in a good and not smashed to bits condition.

Hamster[/quote]

Good luck mate

In a hard case or if possible in the original packing. UPS will do overnight, I can organise that for about £15.00, but their insurance is 1% of the value, so about £100. Otherwise try Securicor (or whatever it is they are now).

I think as above the insurance might be the killer

Steve

Guest Bald Eagle

Wow this is a fast moving thread! all I have to say is,

1. The post office are under industrial action at the moment so they are probably up for a bit of sabotage to get the customers biting.

2. Was it a bolt on neck?

3. I've used ANC and they were good Belgium in 2 days no worries.

4. Expanding foam, like builders use works a treat.

5. Trying to get anything out of them may be futile they cover their arses big style these outfits.

Other things I do which I think are quite important is,

6. Open the package in front of the driver before signing for ANYTHING!

7. If they git pissy re above sign the docs with a Big F.Off 'UNCHECKED' otherwise your signing the goods have been received in good condition.

Edited by Bald Eagle

[quote name='obbm' post='36989' date='Jul 25 2007, 07:25 PM']OK so I've just sold a bass and need to send it to the North-west. What is the best way? BTW it needs to be insured for over £1000.[/quote]

Drive it yourself ... seriously .. or use a flight case.

[quote name='Bald Eagle' post='37016' date='Jul 25 2007, 09:23 PM']Wow this is a fast moving thread! all I have to say is,

5. Trying to get anything out of them may be futile they cover their arses big style these outfits.[/quote]

If those questions are for me about the orginal bass

No it's a set neck. I may frame it once I've won my compensation.

yes ... I can think of a few places I'd like to stick the nozzel right now ...

5. Trying to get anything out of them may be futile they cover their arses big style these outfits.

They sure do. I've never met a Director level person who was so unresponsive to a valid customer complaint whilst hiding behind "the OFT regulations on fair play for customers"

Guest Bald Eagle

[quote name='OldGit' post='37079' date='Jul 25 2007, 11:36 PM']5. Trying to get anything out of them may be futile they cover their arses big style these outfits.

They sure do. I've never met a Director level person who was so unresponsive to a valid customer complaint whilst hiding behind "the OFT regulations on fair play for customers"[/quote]

F'em, i'd keep quiet now and send a consignment of house bricks or such fully insured to a bogus address and claim off the bastards big style :)

[quote name='Bald Eagle' post='37085' date='Jul 26 2007, 12:01 AM']F'em, i'd keep quiet now and send a consignment of house bricks or such fully insured to a bogus address and claim off the bastards big style :huh:[/quote]

Thanks I'll add that to muy collection of possible actions :)

[quote name='OldGit' post='37077' date='Jul 25 2007, 11:29 PM']Drive it yourself ... seriously .. or use a flight case.[/quote]

MB1. :)

DRIVE IT(POSSIBLE?), CASE INCLUDED......DEFINATELY!...... Must admit ,not read the whole thread...NEWS.!....OBVIOUSLY!........HOWDYA....GET.....ON......DUDE!....PRETTY ....ANNOYING!......GORDON .....DOESNT......DO.....THIS.......HE ......IS........A.......BIGGER.......TWAT..............THOUGH!.....YOU GOT WET?(NOTHING SEXUAL INTENDED).....
ALL THE BEST.......
Martin.

[quote name='OldGit' post='36835' date='Jul 25 2007, 12:49 PM']Can anyone tell me if I'm being unreasonable here?

If 7 employees of the company tell me that wrapping it in bubblewrap is OK, is that the guidance I should have followed or some unpublished guidance seemingly made up by the customer service department, and not specifically published anywhere?

So ... Do I contact Allan Leighton, top man at the Post Office, directly (they gave me his office number :) ) or do I just progress to the small claims track in the county courts?[/quote]

Don't go to court yet.

Contact Allan Leighton and explain the situation to him as calmly as possible.

Did you get any packaging instructions from their employees before you posted it? I can't remember what you said about that earlier. If you did, you should definitely make that one of the first things you say.

[quote name='The Funk' post='37171' date='Jul 26 2007, 09:30 AM']Don't go to court yet.

Contact Allan Leighton and explain the situation to him as calmly as possible.

Did you get any packaging instructions from their employees before you posted it? I can't remember what you said about that earlier. If you did, you should definitely make that one of the first things you say.[/quote]

Do you think he will speak to me (I think he's a bit busy right now with a national strike looming) and if he did do you think he'd contradict his Customer Service Director?

[quote name='OldGit' post='37196' date='Jul 26 2007, 10:09 AM']Do you think he will speak to me (I think he's a bit busy right now with a national strike looming) and if he did do you think he'd contradict his Customer Service Director?[/quote]

Well, they've given you his number. Try it. If you get his voicemail or secretary, get an appointment to speak to him (either on the phone or in person).

I think he'd have no problems in principle contradicting anyone below him. That doesn't mean he won't agree with the Customer Service Director. But if the only guidance anyone at Parcelforce has been able to give you is that you should pack it exactly as you have done, then there's a flaw in their guidance - making it their fault.

Also, if you received some guidance about packing it before you posted it, and that was the same guidance, ie. bubble wrap + mark 'fragile', then you complied with their guidance - even if they're now saying that the guidance they gave you is wrong. Again, that would be their fault.

[quote name='The Funk' post='37202' date='Jul 26 2007, 10:14 AM']Well, they've given you his number. Try it. If you get his voicemail or secretary, get an appointment to speak to him (either on the phone or in person).

I think he'd have no problems in principle contradicting anyone below him. That doesn't mean he won't agree with the Customer Service Director. But if the only guidance anyone at Parcelforce has been able to give you is that you should pack it exactly as you have done, then there's a flaw in their guidance - making it their fault.

Also, if you received some guidance about packing it before you posted it, and that was the same guidance, ie. bubble wrap + mark 'fragile', then you complied with their guidance - even if they're now saying that the guidance they gave you is wrong. Again, that would be their fault.[/quote]

Oh its NOT Parcelforce! they get very upset of I get that bit wrong.
It's the [b]Post Office[/b] - totally different outfit.

[quote name='OldGit' post='37231' date='Jul 26 2007, 10:59 AM']Oh its NOT Parcelforce! they get very upset of I get that bit wrong.
It's the [b]Post Office[/b] - totally different outfit.[/quote]
Yet remarkably, the packing guidelines they keep referring to are actually the Parcelfarce ones, right? Or have they changed tack to a slightly different slopy-shouldered teeth-sucking ooh-not-my-problem-mate approach?
What a shower of complete fornicating masturbators. :)

[quote name='Rich' post='37256' date='Jul 26 2007, 11:45 AM']Yet remarkably, the packing guidelines they keep referring to are actually the Parcelfarce ones, right? Or have they changed tack to a slightly different slopy-shouldered teeth-sucking ooh-not-my-problem-mate approach?
What a shower of complete fornicating masturbators. :)[/quote]

Well to be absolutely precise, the delivery is entirely Post Office, no Parcel Force involvement at all. So Sorry Parcel Force for bringing you into this. [b]However, if you are shipping a bass via Porcal Farce you need to be aware that the insurance limit is £150[/b] for all muical instruments and they do actually have published advice for packing guitars there on their website. (search for guitar from the royal mail home page)

The confusion was because initially the rejection quoted that advice almost, but not quite, word for word. Ie the Post office implied that I should have followed the "Royal Mail" guidelines on packing a guitar. These are on the Percal Farce website and nothing to do with the Post Office. PO and PF are, of course, under the umberella of "Royal Mail"

Actually the approach of the Customer Service director was "I'm not changing my mind and treating you as a special case as that would contradict the OFT Post guidelines on how to treat customers fairly" ie if the change their mind for me they'd have to do it for everyone - including those who send guitars in bin liners ... yeah right.
The concept of "you have actually made an error here and therefore it's OK to change your mind to put it right" was not something he was interested in.

Anyway ..
Sorry for carping but it just feels so unfair.

[quote name='Rich' post='37256' date='Jul 26 2007, 11:45 AM']Yet remarkably, the packing guidelines they keep referring to are actually the Parcelfarce ones, right? Or have they changed tack[/quote]

Actually they [i]have[/i] changed tack ...
The initial rejection said they recommend [b]a guitar case or similar inside another box, with padding.[/b] I pointed out that this advice was no where to be found and they did conceed that yes, that was true. but then said that in that case I should have followed the packing advice for [b]"Electric equipment". [/b]When I pointed out that they didn't have any specific advice for that either it became [b]"Electronic equipment"[/b] that I should have followed. The examples in the packing leaflet I have are "mobile phones, laptops".
So, despite the lack of specific advice on packing guitars I should have known that they woudl consider it to be in that category ...
A yard of swampash and maple with a few magnets and wires - the same category as a hifi sysetm, a laptop or a DVD recorder?
I guess they also expect women to carry [url="http://www.ofcom.org.uk/tv/obb/prog_cb/obb76/"]Rawlplugs in their handbags[/url]

It's world class wriggling ..

Anyway I have Allan Leighton's (the ultimate boss of the Royal Mail) phone number - a nice Customer Services low level operative gave it to me - so I'm just marshalling my thoughts and girding my loins. Then I'll call him. he should be aware of what his directors are doing to customer confidence and fairness.

Edited by OldGit

Firstly; I for one think that this thread is too important not to be pinned.

Otherwise, Hamster I'm sorry to hear about your negative experience with Interparcel and I'm sorry I recommended them. Best of luck with the claim and please keep us posted on how it goes.

Surely a company, Trading Standards perhaps, has done research into courier services. Is there anywhere that has Pricerunner style user reviews?

Also, is there a list anywhere with a full list of UK courier services?

Cheers,

paul.

A guy i used to play in a band with works for royal mail sorting office and he was stealing like no-ones business ! Guitar cases computer cases and watch boxes especially got there attention !
But the best one of all was when he STOLE two p.a speakers 15 inch cabs i dont know how he got them out.... but it shows the type of people your dealing with!!!
He was actually against the last strike because he was making too much out of thieving and didn't want any management comeback !!!!

P.S. He was a guitarist , says it all really !